Women's suits

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Xifeng
Posts: 2562
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: Women's suits

Postby Xifeng » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:11 pm

I've mostly seen women wearing dress skirts/pants, a nice top, and a cardigan or suit jacket or a work appropriate dress. Some people show up in suits, but whatever.

Resolve
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:03 pm

Re: Women's suits

Postby Resolve » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:05 pm

alicrimson wrote:I appreciate all of the advice, ladies. I'm sorry to monopolize the thread, but what are you all doing about any kind of a pre-OCI cocktail reception? I have several firms coming that are doing this and they list business casual as the attire. If I were a man, this would be easy; however, due to the wide range of women's business casual wear, I am kind of stuck. What are/would you all do? Blazer+slacks or more casual suiting? Thanks!

Edit: or wrap dresses/dresses of any kind? Thank you so much!


This can be a non-suit blazer/pant, or a work-style dress, or a button down / silk blouse with a skirt/pant and no jacket, or a suit, but I think a suit would be a bit overdressed. I wouldn't go with more casual suiting though, personally. More trendy, maybe. More casual, nah.

User avatar
Xifeng
Posts: 2562
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: Women's suits

Postby Xifeng » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:50 pm

Anyone have any pantyhose brand recommendations? Or any tips/tricks with them? Have not worn them since I was a kid and am not looking forward to it.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Women's suits

Postby keg411 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:59 pm

Xifeng wrote:Anyone have any pantyhose brand recommendations? Or any tips/tricks with them? Have not worn them since I was a kid and am not looking forward to it.


This is going to sound super-weird, but I think shaving your legs makes a huge difference as to how pantyhose feel. I hated them as a kid and now I love them and feel like they are super comfortable. Wore them to work almost every day this summer that I was wearing a skirt.

Brand suggestions: get the cheapest drugstore ones you can find, and go up a size (i.e., if the chart recommends A, get the B). Stick with tan or nude (I like tan). You can get control top or not, but IMO, the control tops in the drugstore brand are overrated -- the regulars should give you enough.* Always bring an extra pair to OCI just in case.

*I'm on the thinner side, though not skinny. If you know you need Spanx, buy them.

User avatar
soupisgood
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 2:21 am

Re: Women's suits

Postby soupisgood » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:01 am

I love Nordstrom's Sheer Control Top Pantyhose. They last forever, and the only pair I ever ruined was because I tried putting them on a few hours after I cut my nails and didn't file them smooth (whoops).

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/nordstrom-sheer-control-top-hosiery-3-for-30/2794829?origin=category&fashionColor=&resultback=720

formerbiglawpartner
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:32 pm

Re: Women's suits

Postby formerbiglawpartner » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:21 am

As for the "business casual" cocktail receptions, I would definitely go with a dress or, possibly, a skirt and blouse. As I've said before, business casual is a trap for most women. Frankly, most women don't look good in pants. Moreover, it is always better to dress up than to dress down at this kind of event. I don't mean wear a full blown suit unless you've had an interview immediately before the reception, but wearing a solid work type dress with or without a jacket shows professionalism and that you respect the firm. Unfortunately, as with much of life, the guys just have it easier here.

User avatar
Ozymandias
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:49 am

Re: Women's suits

Postby Ozymandias » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:25 am

formerbiglawpartner wrote:As for the "business casual" cocktail receptions, I would definitely go with a dress or, possibly, a skirt and blouse. As I've said before, business casual is a trap for most women. Frankly, most women don't look good in pants. Moreover, it is always better to dress up than to dress down at this kind of event. I don't mean wear a full blown suit unless you've had an interview immediately before the reception, but wearing a solid work type dress with or without a jacket shows professionalism and that you respect the firm. Unfortunately, as with much of life, the guys just have it easier here.

:shock:

Anonymous User
Posts: 273406
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Women's suits

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:40 am

formerbiglawpartner wrote:As for the "business casual" cocktail receptions, I would definitely go with a dress or, possibly, a skirt and blouse. As I've said before, business casual is a trap for most women. Frankly, most women don't look good in pants. Moreover, it is always better to dress up than to dress down at this kind of event. I don't mean wear a full blown suit unless you've had an interview immediately before the reception, but wearing a solid work type dress with or without a jacket shows professionalism and that you respect the firm. Unfortunately, as with much of life, the guys just have it easier here.


I completely disagree with this. If you don't find pants that are a good fit for your body, then you'll look bad. But oftentimes pants can look great on women, v. slimming but covered up enough to show that you're serious and not all leg.

formerbiglawpartner
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:32 pm

Re: Women's suits

Postby formerbiglawpartner » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:38 pm

You are certainly welcome to disagree, but pants are usually not slimming on most women unless the women themselves are slim. Also, without a jacket worn over them, you are typically showcasing your butt regardless of how well the pants purportedly fit. Hope it is really good. But wait, is that the image you really want to project at a cocktail reception? Probably not. Again, I'm not saying you can never wear pants once you have the job, but I wouldn't wear them during the recruiting stage unless you have certifiably terrible legs or simply feel far more comfortable/confident in pants in which case you may opt for a pantsuit vs. a skirt suit for your interviews.

formerbiglawpartner
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:32 pm

Re: Women's suits

Postby formerbiglawpartner » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:23 pm

Last thought. If you really want to wear pants, be sure to model for a trusted older friend or relative, i.e., someone partner age. Ask if you look professional from the rear view, too. If your pants are too snug or it's just not a good look, you have your answer.

Remember that these receptions are just an extension of the interview process. They are business functions masquerading as parties. You want to dress and conduct yourselves accordingly. Good luck.

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Women's suits

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:46 pm

formerbiglawpartner wrote:Last thought. If you really want to wear pants, be sure to model for a trusted older friend or relative, i.e., someone partner age. Ask if you look professional from the rear view, too. If your pants are too snug or it's just not a good look, you have your answer.

Remember that these receptions are just an extension of the interview process. They are business functions masquerading as parties. You want to dress and conduct yourselves accordingly. Good luck.


There's a big difference between wearing pants and wearing ill-fitting pants. I think it's a bit much to say that "most" women can't look professional in their pants.

User avatar
istara
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: Women's suits

Postby istara » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:24 pm

This thread is making me paranoid.

I have 2 black suits. One is WHBM. It fits perfect but is not 100% conservative (nothing flashy, but it has unnecessary seams on both the jacket and the skirt). The other is from the Limited, and does not quite fit perfectly despite tailoring (I'm insanely long-waisted). I was planning to just wear the Limited one, to be on the conservative side, with different tops all throughout OCI. Is one suit enough?

I'd love to get a charcoal one someday, but my budget says: please don't buy another suit!

bigredforlaw
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:57 pm

Re: Women's suits

Postby bigredforlaw » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:51 am

Going back to the light grey suit question...is this color too light for southern markets? http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Ann-Taylor-Busin ... ~60_57.JPG
I have an Ann Taylor skirt suit in the same color but different style. I got it earlier this summer because (1) it was incredibly on sale and (2) the supervising attorney at my internship had it and looked very professional in it. Thoughts for OCI in the south?

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Women's suits

Postby keg411 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:21 am

istara wrote:This thread is making me paranoid.

I have 2 black suits. One is WHBM. It fits perfect but is not 100% conservative (nothing flashy, but it has unnecessary seams on both the jacket and the skirt). The other is from the Limited, and does not quite fit perfectly despite tailoring (I'm insanely long-waisted). I was planning to just wear the Limited one, to be on the conservative side, with different tops all throughout OCI. Is one suit enough?

I'd love to get a charcoal one someday, but my budget says: please don't buy another suit!


Black is fine and one suit is plenty.

bigredforlaw wrote:Going back to the light grey suit question...is this color too light for southern markets? http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Ann-Taylor-Busin ... ~60_57.JPG
I have an Ann Taylor skirt suit in the same color but different style. I got it earlier this summer because (1) it was incredibly on sale and (2) the supervising attorney at my internship had it and looked very professional in it. Thoughts for OCI in the south?


Any chance you can post a picture of the actual suit? Because the one in the picture looks both ugly and casual.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: Women's suits

Postby akili » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:12 am

I'm thinking about investing in a suit bag (like this: http://www.overstock.com/Luggage-Bags/T ... oduct.html)

Does anyone have any recommendations? Is it overkill? It seems like it would be super useful because I'm primarily targeting markets I'll have to fly to.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Women's suits

Postby keg411 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:15 am

akili wrote:I'm thinking about investing in a suit bag (like this: http://www.overstock.com/Luggage-Bags/T ... oduct.html)

Does anyone have any recommendations? Is it overkill? It seems like it would be super useful because I'm primarily targeting markets I'll have to fly to.


I carried mine in a garment bag. Although lugging it around the airport was a PITA, they let you bring it as a 3rd item and you don't have to check anything (carry-on luggage + purse + garment bag was fine).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273406
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Women's suits

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:55 pm

swilson215 wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:If you don't want to buy a new pair, those will be fine. If you don't mind getting a new pair, I prefer matte nude.


Agreed. Patent nude is very different from patent black. I love patent leather shoes, but patent black are a little too "party" for an interview, IMO.


What about patent burgundy? I have a Navy suit, and am seriously averse to wearing brown/black with it, and I've never found a nude heel that works on me. I friend of mine (male) wears a Navy suit with dark dark burgundy (almost black) shoes and it looks fantastic. I was thinking something like this color, but more conservative:

http://www.zappos.com/nine-west-flax-wi ... -synthetic

Too party?

User avatar
Ozymandias
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:49 am

Re: Women's suits

Postby Ozymandias » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:05 pm

I wouldn't wear patent burgundy shoes to an interview.

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: Women's suits

Postby Lwoods » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
swilson215 wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:If you don't want to buy a new pair, those will be fine. If you don't mind getting a new pair, I prefer matte nude.


Agreed. Patent nude is very different from patent black. I love patent leather shoes, but patent black are a little too "party" for an interview, IMO.


What about patent burgundy? I have a Navy suit, and am seriously averse to wearing brown/black with it, and I've never found a nude heel that works on me. I friend of mine (male) wears a Navy suit with dark dark burgundy (almost black) shoes and it looks fantastic. I was thinking something like this color, but more conservative:

http://www.zappos.com/nine-west-flax-wi ... -synthetic

Too party?


Why are you so averse to wearing black or brown shoes with your navy suit? Black is the standard / conservative approach for navy. Those are lovely shoes and fine for work, but probably not interviews.

User avatar
Ozymandias
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:49 am

Re: Women's suits

Postby Ozymandias » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:42 pm

Black looks awful with navy. I would never wear black shoes with navy anything.

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: Women's suits

Postby Lwoods » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:02 pm

Ozymandias wrote:Black looks awful with navy. I would never wear black shoes with navy anything.


I disagree. It can look bad depending on the shade of navy and the shade of black, but I think it looks lovely and powerful in the classic shades.

http://corporette.com/2009/11/05/reader-mail-feeling-black-and-blue/

sheD
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Women's suits

Postby sheD » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:08 pm

What do y'all think about wearing a French blue button-up or silk blouse? Appropriate, or does blue need to be pale for interviews?

User avatar
Xifeng
Posts: 2562
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: Women's suits

Postby Xifeng » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:30 pm

sheD wrote:What do y'all think about wearing a French blue button-up or silk blouse? Appropriate, or does blue need to be pale for interviews?


I think it's okay if (1) no cleavage (2) your suit's conservative. The only colors I'm for sure avoiding is pink/pinkish purples.

User avatar
Ozymandias
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:49 am

Re: Women's suits

Postby Ozymandias » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:33 pm

sheD wrote:What do y'all think about wearing a French blue button-up or silk blouse? Appropriate, or does blue need to be pale for interviews?

I think french blue looks lovely.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273406
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Women's suits

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:45 pm

Ozymandias wrote:
sheD wrote:What do y'all think about wearing a French blue button-up or silk blouse? Appropriate, or does blue need to be pale for interviews?

I think french blue looks lovely.


Wtf is french blue?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.