Women's suits

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
yips

Re: Women's suits

Postby yips » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:45 pm

Since we were talking about hair earlier, are there any brown women here?

I don't really want to get into what looks "professional" -- a terribly fraught notion for women of color -- but perhaps there is something to formerbiglawpartner's "belonging to the club" idea. Either way...

My everyday hair is something like this:
--LinkRemoved--

Thoughts on this? --LinkRemoved--

I'm not about to chemically straighten my hair. I could tolerate heat-straightening it for screeners, but then wouldn't I have to do that for callbacks? And for ... work every day next summer? Not a path I really want to head down if I can help it.

Also, if it matters, when my hair is straight, it generally gravitates to something semi-androgynous (which I prefer), like this: http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w61/ ... x_hawk.jpg

Edit: Not that I would do a style like in the last picture, just that this is what I would be working with if I heat-straightened it.
Last edited by yips on Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ozymandias

Postby Ozymandias » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:51 pm

I honestly don't know what's considered appropriate for your hair type.

That last picture is way too unprofessional, though.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:55 pm

honestly, i like the natural every day hair the best, and no one is going to ding you because of it. i agree that the last picture is not acceptable for interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:05 pm

people keep saying charcoal grey -- is this suit too light in color?

http://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/su ... hr-flannel

Ozymandias

Postby Ozymandias » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:people keep saying charcoal grey -- is this suit too light in color?

http://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/su ... hr-flannel

I love that color, and wouldn't consider it to be light gray.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:48 pm

yips wrote:
I'm not about to chemically straighten my hair. I could tolerate heat-straightening it for screeners, but then wouldn't I have to do that for callbacks? And for ... work every day next summer? Not a path I really want to head down if I can help it.

I'm not sure either, but I do like your daily style best.

I think, though, that if you heat straighten your hair for your screener, it doesn't mean you need to heat straighten for CBs or daily work. As someone ITT said earlier, the screener interview will be the most conservative you'll have to dress. Once you get a CB I would imagine that you wouldn't be expected to keep straightening your hair, and I don't think anyone would look at you funny if you stopped or wore it natural.

yips

Postby yips » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:44 pm

Thanks.

How do we feel about a bright navy? I can't find exactly the shade online in a women's suit, but it's close to this color: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/tomm ... ryID=17788

Is this too flashy? This would be a pantsuit, by the way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:17 pm

how much are you guys spending on suits? whats the range?

i found 2 suits that are a few hundred difference in price

the more expensive one does look significantly better....cant decide if its worth it

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:23 pm

yips wrote:Thanks.

How do we feel about a bright navy? I can't find exactly the shade online in a women's suit, but it's close to this color: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/tomm ... ryID=17788

Is this too flashy? This would be a pantsuit, by the way.

I like it.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:how much are you guys spending on suits? whats the range?

the more expensive one does look significantly better....cant decide if its worth it

how much is it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:04 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:how much are you guys spending on suits? whats the range?

how much is it?

$600-700

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:05 pm

alicrimson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Heels necessary or no? I am 5'11ish barefoot so obviously any kind of heel puts me into the 6 foot range. I kind of like this, but I've noticed some male attorneys who are on the shorter side really don't like it, and in previous interviews I've had (usually shorter male) interviewers comment on my height when I'm wearing heels, which is always awkward.

Also, my main problems when suit-shopping are 1) I have really broad shoulders, and a lot of women's suits have REALLY BIG shoulder pads, so I look a bit like a linebacker and 2) I'm skinny, but I have really long arms--so anything that fits my torso is too short in the arms, and anything that fits my arms I'm swimming in the fabric. Any tips?

I am also 5'11 barefoot and I usually go for a 2-3 inch heel just because I feel it pulls a skirt suit together. As for being tall, I'm assured that that's a good thing. I can't help you with the shoulder pads. I do have broad shoulders thanks to my college rowing days. I'm not "skinny" (size 8...sometimes 10 for reference) but I like Tahari and J.Crew in size tall. These seem to be very figure flattering. Good luck!

Ahh you make it seem like you are overweight. For most, thats a perfect size! Too skinny is totally out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:14 pm

Can women wear ties to interviews, or is this a no-go? Too trendy? Or will this convey what I want to convey (that I'm a woman who wears men's ties...)?

Example: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4iWHG70hu9E/T ... rds+ny.jpg (obviously not the shoes, etc).

There isn't much info for non-gender conforming folks.

Resolve

Postby Resolve » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can women wear ties to interviews, or is this a no-go? Too trendy? Or will this convey what I want to convey (that I'm a woman who wears men's ties...)?

Example: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4iWHG70hu9E/T ... rds+ny.jpg (obviously not the shoes, etc).

Oh, as much as I applaud this, I think it's pretty unaccepted. I am a huge proponent of pants suits and stuff, even though all of TLS (and women who have internalized oppression ;)) are convinced beyond a doubt (with no experience to back it up) that skirt suits are the way to go.

I think pants suits have become accepted as women's professional wear, but ties are very far from being accepted. So, it's a no from me. Sadly.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can women wear ties to interviews, or is this a no-go? Too trendy? Or will this convey what I want to convey (that I'm a woman who wears men's ties...)?

Not suggested.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:22 pm

Resolve wrote:

Oh, as much as I applaud this, I think it's pretty unaccepted. I am a huge proponent of pants suits and stuff, even though all of TLS (and women who have internalized oppression ;)) are convinced beyond a doubt (with no experience to back it up) that skirt suits are the way to go.

I think pants suits have become accepted as women's professional wear, but ties are very far from being accepted. So, it's a no from me. Sadly.

I'd never wear a tie to an interview.
I think pants suits are fine. I'm definitely wearing one during OCI.

Ozymandias

Postby Ozymandias » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:22 pm

:lol:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:32 pm

Ozymandias wrote: :lol:

?
Are you laughing at me? :oops:

moneko

Postby moneko » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:03 am

getting a bespoke suit ... are girls suits supposed to have buttons??

(for the record, it's $300 here in Asia so it's a bit more reasonable to go this route despite not knowing enough about suits :( )

Seffer15

Postby Seffer15 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:03 am

What about bags? Is it necessary to have a briefcase or will a structured tote be fine?

formerbiglawpartner

Postby formerbiglawpartner » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:05 am

Not sure how to copy questions, so here's a series of answers/opinions:

The navy in the photo is great.

As for your interview suit, consider it an investment in your future if you are interviewing with big law. You are spending a small fortune on your tuition, why stint on your interview attire that will help you secure a well-paid position? Accordingly, spend what you can reasonably afford--don't take out more loans! Having said that and at the risk of stating the obvious, no outfit will substitute for scrupulous preparation and research on your part for each and every interview.

No briefcase is required for interviews. I think most women attorneys these days tend to carry a large tote that can hold a laptop. Even better for OCI would be a black leather or leather-like folio to hold your resumes, transcripts, writing sample, etc. The folio certainly isn't necessary, however. Just be sure if you carry a bag that it is very simple and preferably black.

formerbiglawpartner

Postby formerbiglawpartner » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:13 am

Forgot. Absolutely NO to the tie for the interview. You can exercise your individuality more AFTER you get the job.

As for the enviable 5'11" person, you can go with a rather low heel, e.g., 1-1.5", if you want. The shrimpy guys just have to deal. In the long run, your height will serve you well as all the studies show.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:22 am

formerbiglawpartner wrote:Forgot. Absolutely NO to the tie for the interview. You can exercise your individuality more AFTER you get the job.

As for the enviable 5'11" person, you can go with a rather low heel, e.g., 1-1.5", if you want. The shrimpy guys just have to deal. In the long run, your height will serve you well as all the studies show.

As another 5'11" girl, can I do a higher heel? The heels I have are 2 3/4" which obviously makes me quite tall but I don't like the look of kitten heels, I'd rather wear flats.

formerbiglawpartner

Postby formerbiglawpartner » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:29 am

Certainly you can go higher with the heel. I just meant she could go lower than the typical 2-3" if she felt insecure at all.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:07 pm

I appreciate all of the advice, ladies. I'm sorry to monopolize the thread, but what are you all doing about any kind of a pre-OCI cocktail reception? I have several firms coming that are doing this and they list business casual as the attire. If I were a man, this would be easy; however, due to the wide range of women's business casual wear, I am kind of stuck. What are/would you all do? Blazer+slacks or more casual suiting? Thanks!

Edit: or wrap dresses/dresses of any kind? Thank you so much!

Return to “Legal Employment”