Women's suits Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
HellOnHeels

Silver

Re: Women's suits

Post by HellOnHeels » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:02 pm

keg411 wrote:
HellOnHeels wrote:
dddhhh wrote:For winter interviews, are skirt suits still recommended? I'm from the south and am use to them but this interview is up north and I am unsure if this is still the best option. Any advice appreciated!
I'd also like to know the answer to this. It's cold outside!
Wear stockings. Seriously.

Honestly, you can wear a pants suit if you really want; it's not going to matter. But don't go out and buy one if you already have a skirt suit.
I bought both the pants and the skirt for the suit, so I have options. If both are ok, I guess I'll see which one I'm feeling the morning I need it :)

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:18 pm

Also make sure whatever shoes you're planning on wearing work with pants in terms of the length. You don't want to find out that it's weird morning-of.

HawkeyeGirl

Bronze

Post by HawkeyeGirl » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:20 pm

I'm just a 0L, but have to wear suits frequently for my current job. I've found that skirt + stockings is a LOT warmer than pants. I typically don't wear socks/stockings with pants, and the cold air gets up in there and makes you quite cold.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:43 pm

I don't know where you live, but I prefer wearing a skirt suit in the winter so that the hems of my pants don't risk getting gross with rain/snow/slush. And skirt + hose aren't that much colder than thin dress pants anyway. But if you want to wear pants, no one cares.

Edit: I hate trying to give advice with this awful avatar. :|

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:46 pm

Tights under pants if it's cold and there's no snow. If there is snow or slush, ditto Dany.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:56 pm

Dany wrote:Edit: I hate trying to give advice with this awful avatar. :|
YOUR CREDIBILITY IS RUINED :lol:

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:07 pm

suit for shadowing judge for a few days, or will trousers/blouse be ok?

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:33 pm

HellOnHeels wrote:suit for shadowing judge for a few days, or will trousers/blouse be ok?
Suit, though you can probably take your jacket off when not in court.

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:42 pm

Lwoods wrote:
HellOnHeels wrote:suit for shadowing judge for a few days, or will trousers/blouse be ok?
Suit, though you can probably take your jacket off when not in court.
thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:59 am

I just bought a grey suit. Tags are still on and I haven't tailored it yet. Is it worth exchanging for a black one? Will it severely hurt me to wear a grey suit to interviews? I heard that grey was the way to go, but apparently the information I got was incorrect.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:I just bought a grey suit. Tags are still on and I haven't tailored it yet. Is it worth exchanging for a black one? Will it severely hurt me to wear a grey suit to interviews? I heard that grey was the way to go, but apparently the information I got was incorrect.
Do you have a link to the suit + color? Unless it's super super light or casual looking (which I can't imagine they sell a ton of in the winter), it should be fine for 1L jobs, OCI, etc.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:12 am

keg411 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just bought a grey suit. Tags are still on and I haven't tailored it yet. Is it worth exchanging for a black one? Will it severely hurt me to wear a grey suit to interviews? I heard that grey was the way to go, but apparently the information I got was incorrect.
Do you have a link to the suit + color? Unless it's super super light or casual looking (which I can't imagine they sell a ton of in the winter), it should be fine for 1L jobs, OCI, etc.
+1

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:16 am

No need to exchange unless it's really light/casual like keg said. Darker / charcoal is a great interview suit color. Black is easy and appropriate for women, but it's not the ONLY choice.

Also, whomever told you grey over black was probably thinking of men's suits. It used to be the rule that a black suit in the daytime was for the help or the dead. I'd still advise men to abide by this in case they encounter some old school attorneys, but it's not really the case for women.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:21 am

keg411 wrote:
Didn't mean to be on anon earlier.

http://www.anntaylor.com/ann/product/AT ... Color=6434

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:27 am

That suit is perfect.

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:41 am

Dany wrote:That suit is perfect.
Alright. Thanks!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:20 am

Agreed with Dany.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:43 pm

llachans wrote:
keg411 wrote:
Didn't mean to be on anon earlier.

http://www.anntaylor.com/ann/product/AT ... Color=6434
That's the suit I'm wearing today! I like it a lot 8)

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:31 pm

keg411 wrote:
Agreed with Dany.
+1

Gray suits are awesome.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:37 pm

crooked

Bronze

Post by crooked » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:38 pm

Suggestions on where to find a basic structured black tote bag? If I had any income, I would go for Kate Spade, but sadly that's not an option right now.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:52 pm

How much do you want to spend?

bluecrab5448

New

Post by bluecrab5448 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:03 pm

I scanned the thread quickly but didn't see this issue raised: do you have to wear pantyhose with a skirt suit during the summer? I'll be in New York and was really hoping not to wear an extra layer in non-ventilated subways.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:10 pm

bluecrab5448 wrote:I scanned the thread quickly but didn't see this issue raised: do you have to wear pantyhose with a skirt suit during the summer? I'll be in New York and was really hoping not to wear an extra layer in non-ventilated subways.
You don't have to and most people don't. But it makes your legs look better.

crooked

Bronze

Post by crooked » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:03 am

Dany wrote:How much do you want to spend?
As little as possible? If I could find something decent at a store like H&M that could get me through a few interviews right now that would be great. But up to $250 for the right bag (one that would hold up for OCI and callbacks in the fall).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”