Women's suits Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
twixt

New

Re: Women's suits

Post by twixt » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:46 pm

zor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on hairstyles? I'm getting mixed responses on if hair up or down is more professional. And if the answer is up, I'm not sure what style...
Agreed that it should probably go up. Obviously do what makes you comfortable but when it's down, you can look too young. I was interviewing at a place today and the woman before me and the woman after me looked sooooooooooo young compared to me, because they had highlighted long blond hair all down, sorta halfway blown out. You shouldn't look like you're out on date night. One thing I have done in the past is half-up with a nice clip in the back, but I tend to hate having hair on the back of my neck, and I think it still looks young.

I am the worst at hair and can't do anything fancy at all so when I put it up I do one of three things depending on length: sock bun using a donut from the drugstore; stylish/simple alligator clip (twist hair at bottom; pull it up then down in a U; clip over both sides); low ponytail with single nice clip.
I have shoulder length/slightly above shoulder length blonde hair. I wear it down and straight, styled to work with the cut. If your hair is past your armpits, probably cut it or wear it up. You can have long-mermaid-beach-wave hair after they hire you. Sidenote: if you bleach your hair platinum blonde at any length, they are probably judging you. Platinum blonde hair says a lot of things, but it rarely says "I will fit in to your professional office setting nicely"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:16 am

twixt wrote:
zor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on hairstyles? I'm getting mixed responses on if hair up or down is more professional. And if the answer is up, I'm not sure what style...
Agreed that it should probably go up. Obviously do what makes you comfortable but when it's down, you can look too young. I was interviewing at a place today and the woman before me and the woman after me looked sooooooooooo young compared to me, because they had highlighted long blond hair all down, sorta halfway blown out. You shouldn't look like you're out on date night. One thing I have done in the past is half-up with a nice clip in the back, but I tend to hate having hair on the back of my neck, and I think it still looks young.

I am the worst at hair and can't do anything fancy at all so when I put it up I do one of three things depending on length: sock bun using a donut from the drugstore; stylish/simple alligator clip (twist hair at bottom; pull it up then down in a U; clip over both sides); low ponytail with single nice clip.
I have shoulder length/slightly above shoulder length blonde hair. I wear it down and straight, styled to work with the cut. If your hair is past your armpits, probably cut it or wear it up. You can have long-mermaid-beach-wave hair after they hire you. Sidenote: if you bleach your hair platinum blonde at any length, they are probably judging you. Platinum blonde hair says a lot of things, but it rarely says "I will fit in to your professional office setting nicely"
Somehow it hasn't hurt me so far in my professional life. I'll make sure to report back in a few weeks and hopefully dispel the notion that you can't be taken seriously with platinum blonde hair.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
twixt wrote: Sidenote: if you bleach your hair platinum blonde at any length, they are probably judging you. Platinum blonde hair says a lot of things, but it rarely says "I will fit in to your professional office setting nicely"
Somehow it hasn't hurt me so far in my professional life. I'll make sure to report back in a few weeks and hopefully dispel the notion that you can't be taken seriously with platinum blonde hair.
Yeah, I don't agree with this either. (That is, I don't think people judge you for dying your hair platinum, unless of course you do it badly or the color doesn't suit you - which applies to any hair color.)

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:56 am

Platinum blonde hair is entirely fine. Oh and feel free to wear your hair down even if its past your shoulders. It doesn't look childish or unprofessional. Go onto a firm website or walk into a professional environment, most women will have their hair down. Interviewers aren't going to judge you for something that is entirely fucking normal.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:58 pm

JenDarby wrote:Platinum blonde hair is entirely fine. Oh and feel free to wear your hair down even if its past your shoulders. It doesn't look childish or unprofessional. Go onto a firm website or walk into a professional environment, most women will have their hair down. Interviewers aren't going to judge you for something that is entirely fucking normal.
this.

Did all my interviews with my long hair down. It looked more professional for me, because I have a serious case of babyface and an updo+suit combo just looks like I'm playing dressup. Do what works for you within basic limits.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:39 pm

I had an biglaw interviewer today that was impressed I was wearing a pantsuit (and the first woman she had seen wearing one) because she felt women were brainwashed by career services into wearing skirt suits. Wear whatever you want within limits and you'll all be fine. Don't crush your personality.

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:03 am

Any good sales going on or places you all recommend for me to get a nice but moderately priced black blazer and blue blazer? I need ones to rotate in OCI - I get tired of the favorite one

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:35 am

BaberhamLincoln wrote:Any good sales going on or places you all recommend for me to get a nice but moderately priced black blazer and blue blazer? I need ones to rotate in OCI - I get tired of the favorite one
Do you mean additional suits? Because you should be wearing matching suit sets during OCI.

justkeepswimming794

New

Post by justkeepswimming794 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:37 am

twixt wrote:
zor wrote:

bolded: this is really dumb.

fwiw, i have long blonde hair. recently had it blown out for screeners in a very big, wavy/curly/marliyn-esque way, and I got two callbacks from 5 screeners. but you know, it must've just been the hair. there's no way I said something smart or intriguing enough to warrant a callback given my "blonde, long-mermaid-beach-wave hair" on its own.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:05 am

franklyscarlet wrote:
BaberhamLincoln wrote:Any good sales going on or places you all recommend for me to get a nice but moderately priced black blazer and blue blazer? I need ones to rotate in OCI - I get tired of the favorite one
Do you mean additional suits? Because you should be wearing matching suit sets during OCI.
I have black and navy pants. I've been using a navy blazer with the navy pants. Didn't buy them together but you would never know. Looks like a set
Wanted another black and another navy

Banshee

Bronze

Post by Banshee » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:09 am

Saw a girl at OCI wearing nude pantyhose that were (1) super tan...too tan for her pale skin and (2) had a shimmer/sheen to them....like the kind you would wear as a 5 year old to your dance recital.

PSA: DON'T wear shimmery pantyhose/tights/stockings/whatever you call them

Banshee

Bronze

Post by Banshee » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:16 am

justkeepswimming794 wrote:
bolded: this is really dumb.

fwiw, i have long blonde hair. recently had it blown out for screeners in a very big, wavy/curly/marliyn-esque way, and I got two callbacks from 5 screeners. but you know, it must've just been the hair. there's no way I said something smart or intriguing enough to warrant a callback given my "blonde, long-mermaid-beach-wave hair" on its own.
Preach!

Also, I too had mine blown out before interviews. I highly recommend this if you are going to wear your hair down. I had mine blown out straight with just a little bit of body/movement. The point is, it looked nice and looked exactly the same at 9:00AM as it did at 5:00PM.

aspire2esquire

New

Post by aspire2esquire » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:46 pm

Banshee wrote:Saw a girl at OCI wearing nude pantyhose that were (1) super tan...too tan for her pale skin and (2) had a shimmer/sheen to them....like the kind you would wear as a 5 year old to your dance recital.

Where should I shop for pantyhose? Any brand recommendations? My skin tone is in between "nude" and "tan" colors.

Black pantyhose might be too casual in my case. I would rather not risk wearing a pant suit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:41 pm

aspire2esquire wrote:
Banshee wrote:Saw a girl at OCI wearing nude pantyhose that were (1) super tan...too tan for her pale skin and (2) had a shimmer/sheen to them....like the kind you would wear as a 5 year old to your dance recital.

Where should I shop for pantyhose? Any brand recommendations? My skin tone is in between "nude" and "tan" colors.

Black pantyhose might be too casual in my case. I would rather not risk wearing a pant suit.
Go to Nordstrom. Or shop online there. They' have multiple shades of nude.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”