The importance of bar exam?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

The importance of bar exam?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:40 pm

So I am not planning on practicing law, and found work in business. I don't see the value of taking the bar exam other than inflating my ego. Thoughts? Are there long-term benefits to being admitted to the bar other than being able to practice law?

Re: The importance of bar exam?

Postby DCDuck » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:52 pm

It's not needed if you don't want to practice law. But if you think you may ever want to practice law, it is a lot easier to take the bar exam shortly after law school, rather than ten years from now when you decide you want to try practice. You'd have to maintain your bar membership, though.

Re: The importance of bar exam?

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:37 pm

You will forever invite doubts about your intelligence and competence being a J.D. who never passed the bar. If you don't pass the bar, go ahead and also never mention that you graduated law school, because the second you bring it up, people will wonder why you couldn't hack it as a real lawyer.

And you ARE NOT a lawyer unless you passed the bar, so don't ever say you are until you pass the bar. Telling people you went to law school but don't want to practice is like saying "I make bad decisions in life and have no follow through." Buck up, take the bar, then you can tell people how cool you are that you earned a law degree and don't even need it. Until you pass the bar, you're simply someone who didn't get an MBA but should have.

Return to “Legal Employment”