References for OCI: My current employer hates BigLaw Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

References for OCI: My current employer hates BigLaw

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:18 pm

Hi all,

I want to work (ideally) at Covington & Burling in D.C. They are known for calling all of your references. The problem I have is that my current (1L) summer job is public-interest oriented, and my boss really, really hates firms and BigLaw in general. I would not feel great putting him down as a reference, even though I have done good work for him. However, would it look really bad if I don't list my current employer as a reference?

Any help is much appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: References for OCI: My current employer hates BigLaw

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:23 pm

:( Sorry to hear that. I have no help, but got the same kind of attitude from my current (1L summer) employer. I would like to think that they'd still give a good recommendation even if they don't like where you're applying.

notedgarfigaro

Silver

Re: References for OCI: My current employer hates BigLaw

Post by notedgarfigaro » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:28 pm

Straight up ask your current boss if he would be a good reference. If he says yes, ask if he would be ok with being a reference for big law. Impress on him about how bad the job market and your student loans. He may not like big law, but if you did good work for him, he shouldn't be a dick about where you're trying to get a job.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”