NYC Firm Lifestyle

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NYC Firm Lifestyle

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:05 pm

Have a good feeling I'm going to be interviewing with a number of NYC firms. Not originally from NY. How does firm life in NYC compare to other cities, say Boston or San Francisco?

Specifically:

1) How crazy is the difference in hours between NYC and Boston/SF?

2) What is the typical difference (if any) in compensation between NYC firms and Boston/SF firms?

3) Is the rate of "burnout" higher in NYC because of the increased intensity? How long does that average associate (who's not gunning for partner) stay at NYC firms vs. non-NYC firms?

Sorry if these are silly questions, I've just seen a lot of people saying "HERP DERP NYC IS MORE INTENSE" so I'm trying to get a better grasp of what that really means/if I can realistically handle that lifestyle.

Anonymous User

Re: NYC Firm Lifestyle

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:24 pm

depends on the practice group and V level, breh. Generally more intense than other markets because of deal driven working and finance driven work ethic. In general, base comp at the nyc firms will be the same in BOS and San Fran but during recessions NYC firms may pay just a bit more (see Wilson Sosini reverting then reinstating Cravath pay scale). Bonuses have historically been larger in NYC but ITE bonuses...yeah... No idea re attrition. Also, NYC firms, especially top shops, are generally more stable (See DPW NYC vs Latham LA a la 2009).

Return to “Legal Employment”