"if you want to be a successful lawyer, don't get married."

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: "if you want to be a successful lawyer, don't get married."

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:27 pm

How do male biglawyers get married in NYC? I thought they all got styled on by finance bros 24/7?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:50 pm

Rename thread to:

"If you want to be a stereotypically depressed/alcoholic/fat lawyer, don't get married."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:10 pm

Rename Thread: If you want to be a buff, stud biglawyer - continue working out, acquiring assets, and having fun.

cantaboot

Postby cantaboot » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I stand by my assertion that, as a guy, I would never date anyone who worked significantly fewer hours or made significantly less money than me (significantly more would be a problem for other reasons). Maybe I am just too "modern" for the ultra-conservative legal profession because I don't believe in living in the suburbs with a white picket fence, a homemaker wife, and 3 kids. Lord knows my parents more than made up for my plans not to contribute to overpopulation by having 10 kids.

as a girl, i actually agree with this sentiment. totally separate lives like that (one in the workplace 80+ hours a week, while the other busy at home all the time) seems like a recipe for growing apart.

edit: wait, why would MORE be a prob? Maybe i dont agree so much after all. hm

More would be a problem for many guys (and girls - who wants to date a deadbeat?). For me, it would depend on the circumstances.

as a girl who will probably do biglaw, if i limit my choices to only those guys who will make more money than me then i'm severely narrowing the pool. just because someone makes less than $160k/yr starting does not mean they're a deadbeat

I don't think the other person has to make money money than the lawyer. It's not the monetary amount that matters. s/hed better have an intellectually demanding job if not one that falls in the 'high-powered career' category. (notice the quotation marks - I don't really consider that those people have a lot of power)

l have not and won't date a car salesman. It is not that I disrespect them.

men or women are not necessarily being picky when they refuse to date or make friends with certain categories of people. multi-cultural/racial dating or marriage is totally fun and fine. However, it is very difficult to relate to people who do not share similar interests even though they are coming from the same culture. no matter how hard you try, you may not feel being appreciated fully as a friend or person.

edit:

cantaboot

Postby cantaboot » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:46 pm

a little sidetracking: don't you think a person's temperament/personality can be defined by his/her job?
an ex-model friend told me that there is nothing inherently bad about the modeling industry. Yet she said she's seen a lot of reasonably smart people get dumber and lazier because they managed to earn quick money without having to use their brain most of the time. Few models are like Lily Cole.

nouseforaname123

Postby nouseforaname123 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:51 pm

cantaboot wrote:a little sidetracking: don't you think a person's temperament/personality can be defined by his/her job?

Are you really trying to suggest that being a lawyer is intellectually demanding or high-powered?
Last edited by nouseforaname123 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:57 pm

it is one of those so-called 'high-powered' jobs. so-called.

junior lawyers do not a lot of intellectually unstimulating tasks. is it intellectually demanding in any way? it is all relative.

some lawyers are mean. not all of them are. don't demonize the profession.

cantaboot

Postby cantaboot » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:57 pm

me above

nouseforaname123

Postby nouseforaname123 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Aren't you the one who was demonizing entire professions above (car salesman and models)?

Also, I'm not demonizing lawyers. Lawyers develop certain personality traits. I like my relationship to have balance with two different personalities that bring diverse interests to the table. I really wouldn't want to marry myself.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:04 pm

dresden doll wrote:
IAFG wrote:Has someone pointed out that Law Review is totally irrelevant to legal practice? Assuming you're practicing when you meet your SO, how will this ever come up?

LR doesn't matter at all. Things that matter:

'Why can't you relocate with me? State X has a lawl school too!'

'Well, if OCI doesn't work out, you'll be set anyway because your school's median salary is 160k. What matters is that you get the degree.'

'You haven't picked up kids from daycare AT ALL this whole week. I don't believe you NEED to work all those extra hours ALL the time. You're exaggerating.

'You don't HAVE to go to all those firm events. You just choose to.'

And so on.

Other non-lawyer yet career-minded working professionals would probably get it just fine, but I presume the dude was more talking about the 9 to 5 run of the mill office job crowd that doesn't need to put in insane hours in order to avoid getting dropped in their first year.

'
'

TCR.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:06 pm

nouseforaname123 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Aren't you the one who was demonizing entire professions above (car salesman and models)?

Also, I'm not demonizing lawyers. Lawyers develop certain personality traits. I like my relationship to have balance with two different personalities that bring diverse interests to the table. I really wouldn't want to marry myself.

Studies show that the most important factor to the success of marriages is compatible personality traits.

nouseforaname123

Postby nouseforaname123 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:13 pm

rayiner wrote:
nouseforaname123 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Studies show that the most important factor to the success of marriages is compatible personality traits.

Are we saying the same thing? Interests can be compatible without being the same.

cantaboot

Postby cantaboot » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:16 pm

I am not demonizing the entire modeling profession.

sorry for not making it clear: I won't date a typical salesman. There are people who do not fall into 'types'. a few years ago I met a carpenter who's not only chill but incredibly intelligent and well-spoken. It sounds trite but it's the person, not his/her career, that matters.

I admire a lot of lawyers but I have also seen my share of law students/'lawyers' who are utterly retarded.

I want to say I find intellectually curious people more appealing. Many law students who are driven by money. Yet a lot of them can hold decent conversations.

I think there are people who simply do not value formal education but are driven, interesting and intellectual curious in their own ways. I have not had the luck to meet that many.

Borg

Postby Borg » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:13 am

rayiner wrote:
nouseforaname123 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I think I would hate to marry almost anyone involved in this thread. Especially if they are "buff, stud biglawyers" (couldn't tell if that was tongue in cheek or not, but I suspect not).

cantaboot

Postby cantaboot » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:23 am

I guess compatible people are those who are similar to ourselves but also different.
there are too many lawyers and too much diversity within the lawyer pool to rule out the possibility. the people whom I admire the most are lawyers, as are those I most despise.-

People who have educational opportunities but do not treasure such opportunities and instead devote their time to fashion, appearances - I tried to get along with some of these people. I failed. I just do not find them appealing.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:34 am

rayiner wrote:
nouseforaname123 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasel_word

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:36 am

this thread officially sucks
Last edited by Lawquacious on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Myself

Postby Myself » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:07 am

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:19 am

lol... tried to just edit my post, not double-post. Sry.

Return to “Legal Employment”