Dilemma (but one that I am grateful to be in)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Dilemma (but one that I am grateful to be in)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:38 pm

Thanks to my work this summer, I can be assured a SA next summer in a NYC firm that is ranked between between V10-V15. For the practice area I wish to work in, they are band 2 in Chambers. I have a relationship with a partner who has taken me on as a mentee.

Alternatively, my grades are good enough to get me any firm outside of Watchell. I know more goes into the hiring once past the screener stage. But my mock interviewer called me well spoken, interesting, and told me I carried myself well. The interviewer was an associate in case that makes a difference. I would be looking to get into Cravath or Sullivan Cromwell, followed by Skadden and DPolk and will bid accordingly.

My goal is to make partner somewhere. I am .03 outside the top 10% at either DNC. Sorry I can't be more specific but naming the school will out me. It may even do so with listing the schools as I believe this is not a common situation.

Here is where my dilemma comes in. I know Vault rankings are a good reference, but not to be taken as the end all. Chambers also gives the firms named in the above paragraph the nod over the firm I made the connection with the partner. Is having a partner mentor a reason to give up a shot at the other firms if the goal is to make partner? The firm where I can get the job is a firm I could see myself working at for the foreseeable future (though based on a small sample of people). But I am being pessimistic and know that the average associate lasts less than 5 years in Big Law. Thus I want to plan for long run. Should I tell the partner thanks but I would like to explore my options, likely eliminating the benefit I get by taking the job ahead of time? Or do I take the job as having someone willing to go for bat for me, who has seen and approved my work is worth not getting one of the other names on my resume?All this keeping in mind that I would like to make partner, somewhere

If possible, please don't quote as I would like to remove this after getting some advice

Anonymous User

Re: Dilemma (but one that I am grateful to be in)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:28 pm

some advice:

in English a dilemma is something that one has, it is not something that is occupied ("to be in"). A dilemma is not a domicile.

Having said that, these are great options. I think there is a lot to be said for choosing a less prestigious firm where you think the path to partner is smoother. I know a lot of people who graduated with many big law options, took the absolute best one (davis polk, mofo, etc.), worked there 5-6 years, didn't make partner, and are now associates at firms outside the NLJ250. Way outside.

itbdvorm

Re: Dilemma (but one that I am grateful to be in)

Postby itbdvorm » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks to my work this summer, I can be assured a SA next summer in a NYC firm that is ranked between between V10-V15. For the practice area I wish to work in, they are band 2 in Chambers. I have a relationship with a partner who has taken me on as a mentee.

Alternatively, my grades are good enough to get me any firm outside of Watchell. I know more goes into the hiring once past the screener stage. But my mock interviewer called me well spoken, interesting, and told me I carried myself well. The interviewer was an associate in case that makes a difference. I would be looking to get into Cravath or Sullivan Cromwell, followed by Skadden and DPolk and will bid accordingly.

My goal is to make partner somewhere. I am .03 outside the top 10% at either DNC. Sorry I can't be more specific but naming the school will out me. It may even do so with listing the schools as I believe this is not a common situation.

Here is where my dilemma comes in. I know Vault rankings are a good reference, but not to be taken as the end all. Chambers also gives the firms named in the above paragraph the nod over the firm I made the connection with the partner. Is having a partner mentor a reason to give up a shot at the other firms if the goal is to make partner? The firm where I can get the job is a firm I could see myself working at for the foreseeable future (though based on a small sample of people). But I am being pessimistic and know that the average associate lasts less than 5 years in Big Law. Thus I want to plan for long run. Should I tell the partner thanks but I would like to explore my options, likely eliminating the benefit I get by taking the job ahead of time? Or do I take the job as having someone willing to go for bat for me, who has seen and approved my work is worth not getting one of the other names on my resume?All this keeping in mind that I would like to make partner, somewhere

If possible, please don't quote as I would like to remove this after getting some advice

feel free to PM for specifics.

Return to “Legal Employment”