SF Associate Class Sizes?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

SF Associate Class Sizes?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:44 pm

Besides MoFo/LW/GDC/OMM/Orrick, does anyone know who has the biggest associate classes worth bidding on?

I'm at Stanford, top 25%-30% (to the extent we can estimate rank) and bidding on SF for general litigation practice.

Thanks.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11743
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: SF Associate Class Sizes?

Postby ilovesf » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:11 pm

Look at NALP forms for summer 2012 class sizes.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SF Associate Class Sizes?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:31 pm

Not sure if you deliberately left out how many Hs you have, but if you wouldn't mind posting it I'd be interested (to see what your estimate of 25% is)

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: SF Associate Class Sizes?

Postby bk1 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:39 pm

ilovesf is credited. Though after the migration to the new NALP site, a lot of firms are missing. If you can get a hold of the printed NALP directory it should have the previous SA class sizes (my school's library had a few, maybe ask your CSO).

They aren't SF and tend to skew towards IP but the SV firms will have decently sized SA classes. After that you really can't say that any of the SF class sizes are "big."

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SF Associate Class Sizes?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:Besides MoFo/LW/GDC/OMM/Orrick, does anyone know who has the biggest associate classes worth bidding on?

I'm at Stanford, top 25%-30% (to the extent we can estimate rank) and bidding on SF for general litigation practice.

Thanks.


Quinn is second only to MoFo in class size this year as far as I know. Orrick not big. Kirkland probably pretty big. Bingham fair-sized.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SF Associate Class Sizes?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:27 am

Latham and Morgan Lewis both have sizable classes.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SF Associate Class Sizes?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:40 am

Yeah, Kirkland has been cranking it up the last few years in SF. Something like 15-20 thus summer??

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SF Associate Class Sizes?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:28 pm

OP here. Top 25% based on 7 Hs, 6Ps (rule of thumb I heard: 8 Hs is around top 20%, while 6 Hs is top 33%).

Ofta3184
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:33 am

Re: SF Associate Class Sizes?

Postby Ofta3184 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:33 pm

gunner

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SF Associate Class Sizes?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Top 25% based on 7 Hs, 6Ps (rule of thumb I heard: 8 Hs is around top 20%, while 6 Hs is top 33%).


SLSer here.

You're probably closer to top 1/3, but it won't matter...depends on the grade distribution, but you've hit the "more Hs than Ps" cutoff. Keker (and maybe also Boies Oakland, but that one's worth a bid if you wanna bill 2500) is really the only SF firm out of your reach with those grades.

Bid any firm in SF you like. You won't strike out unless you have a terrible, terrible personality. You'll have your pick from a good chunk of Kirkland, MoFo, Ropes, A&P, Farella, etc. Be wary of Quinn; almost all of their work in SF is IP, and patent at that. They'll call back nearly anyone with more Hs than Ps, but I wouldn't even apply there unless you're content billing 2300 hours on patent work each of your first few years.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SF Associate Class Sizes?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:33 pm

^^^if 7Hs-6Ps are closer to top third, what's 8Hs-5Ps [no book awards]? and what is cutoff for keker callback if 7Hs is out of range?

-another SLSer, not OP

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SF Associate Class Sizes?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^^^if 7Hs-6Ps are closer to top third, what's 8Hs-5Ps [no book awards]? and what is cutoff for keker callback if 7Hs is out of range?

-another SLSer, not OP


Same anonymous SLSer as above. Did OCI in SF with similar grades, but take my advice with a grain of salt, since no one actually knows any of the breakdowns.

8 Hs is probably top 1/4. Again these are rough, rough estimates; since there's no way to demarcate a difference between 8 Hs - 5 Ps no books and 7 Hs - 6 Ps + a book prize, you're anywhere between top 35% and top 15%, depending on how grades are distributed throughout your class and how well you all did relative to the 2Ls and 3Ls in your spring electives.

7 and 8 Hs can certainly bid on Keker, but they will give 1 offer to an SLSer. This year they gave 2, but that was a little anomalous. It will likely be a person who wants to stay in the Bay Area with 9+ Hs and Law Review. Since the class there is so small, it's going to be incredibly tough with those grades to be THE person they want from Stanford. With 8 Hs, just like the person with 7 above, so long as you don't shit yourself you'll leave callback season with at least a half-dozen offers. Your task is figuring out where you want to work, rather than where you can get an offer. Keker and MTO are out of your range in CA (if you want Keker, because you really want to do white collar work, and you make LR, you should give them a bid), but basically nowhere else is.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SF Associate Class Sizes?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:07 am

Where did people in the 4-5 H range end up? I get the impression that outside of certain firms, it doesn't change much.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SF Associate Class Sizes?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:04 am

Somewhere between median and top 1/3 at NYU. Born and raised in North Bay. Cal undergrad. Non IP, non URM but two years full time f500 experience. Any shot at any of the less selective firms in SF/SV--looking for general corporate? Just wondering because obviously HYSB and probably CC clean up on the West Coast but not a lot of talk about how NYU does with strong ties to the Bay. Thx guise.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SF Associate Class Sizes?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Where did people in the 4-5 H range end up? I get the impression that outside of certain firms, it doesn't change much.


Nearly everyone above median with a decent personality gets their pick of firms, especially in SF. With those grades, you could readily get V5 offers in NYC, or get MoFo, K&E, Ropes, Jones Day in SF. You're out at Quinn, Boies,and Keker in Northern California. You're a stretch for Gibson and A&P. That's about it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SF Associate Class Sizes?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Somewhere between median and top 1/3 at NYU. Born and raised in North Bay. Cal undergrad. Non IP, non URM but two years full time f500 experience. Any shot at any of the less selective firms in SF/SV--looking for general corporate? Just wondering because obviously HYSB and probably CC clean up on the West Coast but not a lot of talk about how NYU does with strong ties to the Bay. Thx guise.


You seem right in the sweet spot for the corporate firms in the Valley. You're honestly probably good for corporate in SF as well; I'd bid NYC too, but spending half your bids on the Bay Area as a Cal UG isn't stupid.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SF Associate Class Sizes?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Somewhere between median and top 1/3 at NYU. Born and raised in North Bay. Cal undergrad. Non IP, non URM but two years full time f500 experience. Any shot at any of the less selective firms in SF/SV--looking for general corporate? Just wondering because obviously HYSB and probably CC clean up on the West Coast but not a lot of talk about how NYU does with strong ties to the Bay. Thx guise.


You seem right in the sweet spot for the corporate firms in the Valley. You're honestly probably good for corporate in SF as well; I'd bid NYC too, but spending half your bids on the Bay Area as a Cal UG isn't stupid.


NYU cleans up fine in california. know many NYU bros out here working at top firms, including myself.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SF Associate Class Sizes?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:08 pm

That's refreshing to hear, brother. I'm the poster above. You think I have a chance at a decent firm in the Bay? I bid like 25 on SF/SV and 25 on NYC firms with large classes.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SF Associate Class Sizes?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Top 25% based on 7 Hs, 6Ps (rule of thumb I heard: 8 Hs is around top 20%, while 6 Hs is top 33%).


SLSer here.

You're probably closer to top 1/3, but it won't matter...depends on the grade distribution, but you've hit the "more Hs than Ps" cutoff. Keker (and maybe also Boies Oakland, but that one's worth a bid if you wanna bill 2500) is really the only SF firm out of your reach with those grades.

Bid any firm in SF you like. You won't strike out unless you have a terrible, terrible personality. You'll have your pick from a good chunk of Kirkland, MoFo, Ropes, A&P, Farella, etc. Be wary of Quinn; almost all of their work in SF is IP, and patent at that. They'll call back nearly anyone with more Hs than Ps, but I wouldn't even apply there unless you're content billing 2300 hours on patent work each of your first few years.


I was extended an offer at BSF Oakland with 4 H's. Don't let your grades restrict you from bidding/applying anywhere if you're at SLS. Especially when the screener is from the office you're trying to get a CB/Offer.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.