Dietary Restrictions on Callback Lunches

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Dietary Restrictions on Callback Lunches

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just for kicks: true story, I knew a vegan girl who started whimpering when she found out she accidentally ate a piece of bread that had butter in it or something like that.

LOL! At least she wasn't in danger of going to the hospital because of a butter allergy. :roll:

Reinschmicker

Postby Reinschmicker » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:57 pm

For the OP. I just went on my first callback with a pretty good NYC firm (shouldn't be that difficult to figure out who), and they actually had a q&a form that included a question about dietary restrictions. I simply wrote "vegan." They ended up taking me to a vegan restaurant for lunch and one associate I went with was also vegetarian. It was pretty sweet, though that associate mentioned that she thought their firm was a bit more veg-friendly than some others in the city.

My plan for any callbacks that seem less accommodating is just to mention I'm "not a meat eater," figuring I'll end up somewhere with at least a decent salad option and opt for that. I don't really see it being an issue during the interview phase, because unless you bring it up no one is going to think they should ask you about your dietary preferences and the reasons for them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:27 pm

Reinschmicker wrote:For the OP. I just went on my first callback with a pretty good NYC firm (shouldn't be that difficult to figure out who), and they actually had a q&a form that included a question about dietary restrictions. I simply wrote "vegan." They ended up taking me to a vegan restaurant for lunch and one associate I went with was also vegetarian. It was pretty sweet, though that associate mentioned that she thought their firm was a bit more veg-friendly than some others in the city.

My plan for any callbacks that seem less accommodating is just to mention I'm "not a meat eater," figuring I'll end up somewhere with at least a decent salad option and opt for that. I don't really see it being an issue during the interview phase, because unless you bring it up no one is going to think they should ask you about your dietary preferences and the reasons for them.

And how did that interview end? Offer? Or time that they'll contact you by?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:00 pm

There's a vegan in my SA class. He's cool and doesn't make a big deal out of it and no one cares and the firm provides him special food at every single SA-related event. When you're asked about lunches just say you're a vegan and they'll set you up well. Firms don't really care about what your dietary restrictions are and I wouldn't be surprised if the associates they send you with will be vegan/vegetarian.

Reinschmicker

Postby Reinschmicker » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Reinschmicker wrote:For the OP. I just went on my first callback with a pretty good NYC firm (shouldn't be that difficult to figure out who), and they actually had a q&a form that included a question about dietary restrictions. I simply wrote "vegan." They ended up taking me to a vegan restaurant for lunch and one associate I went with was also vegetarian. It was pretty sweet, though that associate mentioned that she thought their firm was a bit more veg-friendly than some others in the city.

And how did that interview end? Offer? Or time that they'll contact you by?

Will know within a week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As far as representing your choice in diet, I would stick with the explanation of your lactose intolerance and how ill you get when you eat meat. I have vegan family members and have been involved in animal rights organizations and movements, and honestly I don't think there's a safe way to present an ethical motivation for veganism without putting people on the defensive (unless they're willing to have an awfully long chat about it). Typically, people either aren't sympathetic/don't care, so they will perceive you with the typical stereotypes regarding animal rights people, or they are inclined to be sympathetic and your being vegan may make them feel guilty about their choices-- either one is a bad result for an interview. In the end, unless they themselves are vegan or are closely related to people who are vegan, you can almost be guaranteed that giving an impression that you are an ethically-motivated vegan will make them feel awkward (self-conscious regarding what they order, etc.).

QFT. If you talk about conservationism, animals, etc., people will interpret it as an ethical judgment. And unless they themselves are vegetarian/vegan, such a judgment will almost definitely provoke a negative reaction for the above reasons. I feel fairly confident I lost out on a 1L SA in part because a recruiting coordinator, in front of the associates who took me to lunch, directly inquired "Are you vegetarian for moral or ethical reasons?" I was stunned she'd asked so directly and reactively told the truth. Lo and behold, looks of judgments crossed all three faces simultaneously. (Granted this was in Dallas, but I have since never answered the question forthrightly outside of a casual setting.)

Then again, I might've also lost out because I was a white guy stuck at lunch with two associates who constantly referred to each other as "n***a."

What firm????

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:21 pm

Bumping this thread, am curious about more serious allergies (peanut/shellfish/anaphylactic shock).

Obviously I want to try and downplay my allergy as much as possible. I'm going to mention my allergy to the recruiting director when I schedule the callbacks, but my allergy is bad enough that I can't even sit down to eat if someone across the table is eating the food. Where I live, virtually every restaurant serves the food. I'd like to mention my allergy to the attorneys before we eat so I don't have to interrupt them when they are ordering food, but when is the best time to do so? Not sure on how the lunch works logistically, do you usually meet all the attorneys at the firm and walk to the restaurant? It would be awkward if one of the associates had already ordered appetizers/was already in the restaurant and I have to leave the room because of my allergy.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bumping this thread, am curious about more serious allergies (peanut/shellfish/anaphylactic shock).

Obviously I want to try and downplay my allergy as much as possible. I'm going to mention my allergy to the recruiting director when I schedule the callbacks, but my allergy is bad enough that I can't even sit down to eat if someone across the table is eating the food. Where I leave, virtually no restaurants don't serve the food. I'd like to mention my allergy to the attorneys before we eat so I don't have to interrupt them when they are ordering food, but when is the best time to do so? Not sure on how the lunch works logistically, do you usually meet all the attorneys at the firm and walk to the restaurant? It would be awkward if one of the associates had already ordered appetizers/was already in the restaurant and I have to leave the room.

you typically walk to the restaurant from the office, yes. i would just tell them on the way there, or before you order.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:32 pm

I have a gluten allergy. It was super easy to just say I was allergic. They don't care ... if anything its an interesting talking point as someone's neice's boyfriend inevitably also has [gluten allergy, is a vegan, etc].

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a gluten allergy. It was super easy to just say I was allergic. They don't care ... if anything its an interesting talking point as someone's neice's boyfriend inevitably also has [gluten allergy, is a vegan, etc].

also have a gluten allergy. 2 of my cbs asked about dietary restrictions- the rest didnt but are afternoon cbs so guessing no lunch involved. 9/10 when the allergy comes up i agree ppl know someone in a similar boat. guess its a bit different for you since you can't be at a table with anyone eating it though... how common is the item?

Return to “Legal Employment”