Since we get 25 interviews, I will post my top 30. I want to focus on securities and/or M&A. Having lived in China for X years prior to law school, my goal is to lateral to Hong Kong.
My NYC OCI bids are all towards the bottom (I am going to the NYC job fair as well), along with Dallas bids and a smattering of small firms and D.C. bids at less selective firms like Sutherland.
1. Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP (NYC, special reason for putting it first, nuff said)
2. Vinson & Elkins, L.L.P (Houston, TX)
3. Baker Botts L.L.P. (Houston, TX) (preselected at 1L OCI but had to decline)
4. Akin Gump (Houston)
5. Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. (Houston)
7. Baker & McKenzie (Houston, TX)
8. The Boston Consulting Group (Dallas, TX; NYC; HK)
9. Latham & Watkins (Chicago, Houston)
10. King & Spaulding (Houston, TX)
11. Jones Day
12. Bracewell & Giuliani LLP (Houston, TX)
13. Haynes and Boone, LLP (Houston, TX)
14. Winstead PC (Houston, TX)
15. Thompson & Knight L.L.P.
18. Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP (Houston)
19. Andrews Kurth LLP (Houston, TX)
23. Strasburger & Price, LLP (Houston)
24. Haynes and Boone, LLP (Dallas, TX)
25. Morrison & Foerster LLP (New York, Hong Kong)
26. Mayer Brown LLP (Houston, TX)
27. Jackson Walker L.L.P. (Houston, TX)
39. K&L Gates (Dallas, TX)
[edited for office sizes and litigation practices]
Should I simply bid on more New York, Chicago, and D.C. firms? I am not going to use all my bids at this rate because I did not bid on both the Dallas and Houston offices of firms that require cover letters.