Dechert? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Dechert?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:06 am

Anyone know anything about Dechert? Is it really competitive? Is the SA work interesting?

Anonymous User

Re: Dechert?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:43 am

which Dechert office?

If you're talking about Philadelphia, from what I've heard it's extremely prestigious within the city, good work, but it's a revolving door and won't last more than a couple of years from being overworked and burned out

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:which Dechert office?

If you're talking about Philadelphia, from what I've heard it's extremely prestigious within the city, good work, but it's a revolving door and won't last more than a couple of years from being overworked and burned out
This seems to be the reputation in general. Seems to have a great firm reputation and probably gets great work, but doesn't seem like the best place in the world to work. They lateral all the senior associates/partners and force all the early associates out very quickly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:which Dechert office?

This seems to be the reputation in general. Seems to have a great firm reputation and probably gets great work, but doesn't seem like the best place in the world to work. They lateral all the senior associates/partners and force all the early associates out very quickly.
Is this true for NYC as well?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:04 pm

From what I can tell your experience seems to be very practice group specific not necessarily office specific. Their White Collar and Financial Services/Investment management groups are very good. They really tried to push that the groups had a lot of cohesion between offices.

I also had an awful interview with their hiring partner. Guy was rude.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:19 pm

I was really interested in Dechert after speaking to two alum at an event at my school (it wasn't related to OCI or jobs or anything, I just happened to be seated with them at a table and asked them about their firm). I thought they were really nice and surprisingly seemed to like the firm and their work a lot. They both said that partners were accommodating, a large majority of partners and older associates have families, their hours weren't easy but were more predictable than their friends in other firms, and they would hesitate before going to a different firm because chances are things would be a lot worse. I also have a friend who summered there and loved it. I had read a lot of negative things about Dechert that were written a few years ago but they changed leadership so maybe things have been changed within. Of course, I'm basing all my information on a small sample size of three people but they all had surprisingly positive things to say which really struck a chord with me.

Perseus_I

Bronze

Post by Perseus_I » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:28 pm

If my goal is to work in-house anyway (I haven't decided this yet...just wondering), is a high washout rate really a cause for concern?

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:43 pm

Disclaimer: I'm a 0L living in the Philly area (have lived here my whole life)

From speaking with current students / lawyers in the area, Dechert has a reputation for being an absolute sweatshop. Besides that, it's one of the (if not the single) most prestigious firms to work for in Philly.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:25 pm

Perseus_I wrote:If my goal is to work in-house anyway (I haven't decided this yet...just wondering), is a high washout rate really a cause for concern?
Depends on what type of work you get to do while you are there. I don't know enough about the firm actually, but the reputation is prevalent.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”