URM...Entering 3L year...below median looking for options

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lifehopeful

URM...Entering 3L year...below median looking for options

Postby lifehopeful » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:17 pm

I go to a top 20-30 school (out of region) and want to be anywhere in the northeast/mid-atlantic. Unfortunately, grades are not good at all...wanting some help as to what I can do (i.e. where should I be applying, etc.). Are state clerkships possible? Networked my ass off and has not helped much. Also, I don't have too much work experience since i'm a K-JD. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: URM...Entering 3L year...below median looking for options

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:26 pm

lifehopeful wrote:I go to a top 20-30 school (out of region) and want to be anywhere in the northeast/mid-atlantic. Unfortunately, grades are not good at all...wanting some help as to what I can do (i.e. where should I be applying, etc.). Are state clerkships possible? Networked my ass off and has not helped much. Also, I don't have too much work experience since i'm a K-JD. Thanks.

+1 ..... I'm also a URM at at T-20 right now and am a rising 3L. My grades weren't very good after 1L year but I raised my GPA up 2pts working my butt off last yr and am hoping for the best this go around.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:30 pm

Sorry man. I think you were trying to find a position for this summer, too, right? I would first of all up your grades this 3L year. Take classes with professors you like, and make sure they're classes you can do well in. Don't take classes that you know are going to be competitive and gunnerish (e.g., Fed. Courts). Despite everything you do, grades still matter. You have two semesters to bring it up. I would also reach out to some alumni. You don't have to become best friends with everyone, just become close with one or two.

Where do you want to work? What kind of fields have you demonstrated interest in? Try to play to the strengths you already have.

Hang in there man. I like your name. Life is indeed hopeful. I've felt similar feelings as you. Struck out myself at OCI. I'll be praying for you, for God to restore that hope in you. Take it to the Lord in prayer. Philippians 4:6-7.

KamaalTheAbstract

Postby KamaalTheAbstract » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:32 pm

What kind of advice are you looking for? If you're looking for urm specific advice there's not really any. You're in a tough position. All you can do is apply and network.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:43 pm

Open yourself to any job you can find, law or non law, professional or non professional. The URM thing isn't going to give you any edges. Maybe a local clerkship. I would really focus on paying employment though. A paying gig will do more for you than any clerkship you'll get with lousy grades.

lifehopeful

Postby lifehopeful » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry man. I think you were trying to find a position for this summer, too, right? I would first of all up your grades this 3L year. Take classes with professors you like, and make sure they're classes you can do well in. Don't take classes that you know are going to be competitive and gunnerish (e.g., Fed. Courts). Despite everything you do, grades still matter. You have two semesters to bring it up. I would also reach out to some alumni. You don't have to become best friends with everyone, just become close with one or two.

Where do you want to work? What kind of fields have you demonstrated interest in? Try to play to the strengths you already have.

Hang in there man. I like your name. Life is indeed hopeful. I've felt similar feelings as you. Struck out myself at OCI. I'll be praying for you, for God to restore that hope in you. Take it to the Lord in prayer. Philippians 4:6-7.

Thanks for the sound words. Been interested mostly business-oriented fields. Something corporate-esque...really interested in the SEC or tax but I figure that is going to be a long shot. So, really I think I just need to take what I can get and transition from there.

El_Sol

Postby El_Sol » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:44 pm

[quote="I'll be praying for you, for God to restore that hope in you. Take it to the Lord in prayer. Philippians 4:6-7.[/quote]

I like this.

Keep networking. Even though it has not worked yet, it does not mean it will not work in the future. Keep that upward trend and I am sure you will do fine. Start mass mailing in August to every city you have ties in.

lifehopeful

Postby lifehopeful » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:45 pm

MrAnon wrote:Open yourself to any job you can find, law or non law, professional or non professional. The URM thing isn't going to give you any edges. Maybe a local clerkship. I would really focus on paying employment though. A paying gig will do more for you than any clerkship you'll get with lousy grades.

Isn't a local clerkship paying? I thought, perhaps, with local clerkships it would be a great transition into other local legal jobs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:39 pm

I share your pain. I'm a rising 3L at a T2. After 1L, I was just above median, roughly top 40%. I worked my behind off as a 2L and ended up somewhere around top 15%. I'm hoping to parlay the improvement into whatever I can find. At this point, you just have to hustle. Don't give up and keep networking!

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:40 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:55 pm

What kind of position have you been looking for? Or in other words, what are you limiting your job search to?

Your problem may be that you need to expand your job search to either really small firms 2-10 attorneys or to alternative career options.

lifehopeful

Postby lifehopeful » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:11 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:What kind of position have you been looking for? Or in other words, what are you limiting your job search to?

Your problem may be that you need to expand your job search to either really small firms 2-10 attorneys or to alternative career options.

I've casted a wide net during my summer searches...from the paid to unpaid, from the legal to non-legal, and from big corporations to menial labor. Either I received a rejection or no response. I've even, reluctantly, spammed attorneys working in smaller firms for some work related opportunities and have had little success.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:20 pm

Well could you be a little more specific? For example, in terms of non-legal jobs, what are you applying to? Administrative positions?

lifehopeful

Postby lifehopeful » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:34 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Well could you be a little more specific? For example, in terms of non-legal jobs, what are you applying to? Administrative positions?

Mostly, yes. Just to think off from the top of my head I've applied to be a receptionist, compliance work, random graduate level internships, random labor positions, I even think I applied to some retail stores lol...but that was just for the summer. Looking for permanent next year obv.

LittleMM

Postby LittleMM » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:14 am

I am with above posters who recommend you continue networking. You can meet a lot of people before you find those one or two who really take to you and give you the mentoring or job search guidance that you need. Do you mind me asking exactly where your grades are, aside from below median (how far below)? Do you also mind me asking which school and/or what geographical market?

I also wanted to add that what is really, really important is to keep your head up. Don't get down on yourself. You won't get receptionist positions because you are - most certainly - overqualified for them.

If you have a demonstrated interest in public interest work, and jump on a clinic your last year (definitely do it if you can!) - especially those geared towards helping your community - you might be able to look into Legal Aid and other such positions which may look more to how passionate you are about the work vs. your GPA. If nothing else, clinic work will be fulfilling, and help boost your confidence, as you will get client and court room interaction. You will also get out in your community and meet people. You can gain the same with an externship during the semester as well for the PD or DA or Legal Aid in the town your law school is in.

I know you want corporate/tax and Legal Aid is a far, far cry from that, but with below median outside T14, it will be very difficult to get that kind of work. If you really mean you will take any kind of legal work that gives you a paycheck, you can try developing your resume to suit public interest work and go from there!

Best of luck to you!

Return to “Legal Employment”