St Louis Diversity Fair Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

St Louis Diversity Fair Question

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:09 pm

Just got back the pre-selects. How does the process usually work? I'm a rising 3L. Do we still go through call-backs and such? Also, some of the employers interviewing me are government (e.g., Eighth Circuit and PD). Does anyone know how they do their hiring? Perhaps from firsthand experience or word of mouth?

Anonymous User

Re: St Louis Diversity Fair Question

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got back the pre-selects. How does the process usually work? I'm a rising 3L. Do we still go through call-backs and such? Also, some of the employers interviewing me are government (e.g., Eighth Circuit and PD). Does anyone know how they do their hiring? Perhaps from firsthand experience or word of mouth?

Some Diversity Fairs include gov't opportunties (often local . . plus ACLU types), the catch is. . .no pay. At least that is what I recently saw (2L). To those, thanks, but no thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:22 pm

This fair was kind of a joke last year. No jerbs

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got back the pre-selects. How does the process usually work? I'm a rising 3L. Do we still go through call-backs and such? Also, some of the employers interviewing me are government (e.g., Eighth Circuit and PD). Does anyone know how they do their hiring? Perhaps from firsthand experience or word of mouth?

Some Diversity Fairs include gov't opportunties (often local . . plus ACLU types), the catch is. . .no pay. At least that is what I recently saw (2L). To those, thanks, but no thanks.

Did you have an experience with STL in particular?

I'm just intrigued as to how they cannot pay when they're advertising entry-level positions. They just take you on as a full-time volunteer??

--

Anonymous User wrote:This fair was kind of a joke last year. No jerbs

Really? Please tell more. Even the firms? Firms come even though they know they're not going to really hire?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Really? Please tell more. Even the firms? Firms come even though they know they're not going to really hire?

Seconded. I would love to know if anyone has statistical or anecdotal info. Also, was the heartland diversity fair as bad?

Myself

Postby Myself » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:32 am

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:13 pm

So everyone's preselects are up? Did you guys pay the $25 fee? I didn't pay the fee yet and my preselects are up. I guess I'll pay it and see if anything changes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So everyone's preselects are up? Did you guys pay the $25 fee? I didn't pay the fee yet and my preselects are up. I guess I'll pay it and see if anything changes.

yeah, my pre-selects are up, and i just paid for the fee.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:55 pm

How many interviews did you get as a 3L?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

2, you?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

2, you?

Same. Hope there's more to come as more firms make their schedule known.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:50 pm

Yeah in my experience most diversity fairs are jokes. CCBA is good. BLSA fairs are the biggest wastes of time. I'm sure people get jobs but the majority of the applicants on the interview schedules have no chance at all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

2, you?

Same. Hope there's more to come as more firms make their schedule known.

Ah, is that the deal? I was wondering why only 2 responded. Not that I expected a lot, but I wanted more than two. So the firms have not solidified their pre-selects yet for the interview?

By the way, was one of your two with the COA? Just wondering.

Yeah in my experience most diversity fairs are jokes. CCBA is good. BLSA fairs are the biggest wastes of time. I'm sure people get jobs but the majority of the applicants on the interview schedules have no chance at all.

Even if the job fair is 100% pre-select? That seems weird that firms would just come and interview, but I can see why they would do it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:07 pm

Bump?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:36 pm

OP: Just got his/her interview schedule. Got 4. How about ya'll? Let's see how the field played out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:50 am

Any 3Ls hear back from any firms yet....notably Spencer Fane??

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:21 am

Bump.

Return to “Legal Employment”