OCI writing sample - submit patent work?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

OCI writing sample - submit patent work?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:31 pm

Would you submit a response to OA or spec/claims that you drafted as your writing sample to OCI?
Obviously, pretend you have the appropriate background and are interested in patent work.

fatduck

Re: OCI writing sample - submit patent work?

Postby fatduck » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would you submit a response to OA or spec/claims that you drafted as your writing sample to OCI?
Obviously, pretend you have the appropriate background and are interested in patent work.

i've been wondering this myself. seems like it would be alright if you're looking to do pros? interested to see what others have to say.

clintone88

Postby clintone88 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:36 pm

This is what I'm submitting as my writing sample. If you're doing pros it's a lot more relevant than a memo about some made up fact pattern from LRW. If you're trying to do lit I think something else might be better though.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:38 pm

clintone88 wrote:This is what I'm submitting as my writing sample. If you're doing pros it's a lot more relevant than a memo about some made up fact pattern from LRW. If you're trying to do lit I think something else might be better though.

i am in this situation - want to do lit, doing mostly pros this summer. if i don't submit pros work from this summer, i'm stuck with a pretty lame LRW memo.

clintone88

Postby clintone88 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:53 pm

fatduck wrote:
clintone88 wrote:This is what I'm submitting as my writing sample. If you're doing pros it's a lot more relevant than a memo about some made up fact pattern from LRW. If you're trying to do lit I think something else might be better though.

i am in this situation - want to do lit, doing mostly pros this summer. if i don't submit pros work from this summer, i'm stuck with a pretty lame LRW memo.

I think it's still probably best to submit pros work because it at least shows that you've done significant work in the patent field. It may not be directly what lit does, but it is still persuasive writing/arguing to get a patent allowed (if it's an OA). Plus it shows that you understand the file wrapper issues surrounding pros that affect lit. I think the only thing that would actually be better would be if you have something from 1L summer dealing with some real lit work.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:55 pm

clintone88 wrote:
fatduck wrote:

I think it's still probably best to submit pros work because it at least shows that you've done significant work in the patent field. It may not be directly what lit does, but it is still persuasive writing/arguing to get a patent allowed (if it's an OA). Plus it shows that you understand the file wrapper issues surrounding pros that affect lit. I think the only thing that would actually be better would be if you have something from 1L summer dealing with some real lit work.

yea i guess that makes sense re: persuasive writing. i have a couple pre-appeal briefs as well, i'll have to go through and see what was best written.

Return to “Legal Employment”