Resume question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Resume question

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:06 pm

Hi:

MVP; no journal; no clubs or orgs; top 40%

My 1L SA is with the General Counsel of a V100, great work, schmoozing w/ senior executives and outside counsel at awesome firms daily.

They want me to stay on throughout 2-L year writing memos, researching, handling small matters, etc.

If I stay on I don't think I'll have time for moot court. Should I do moot court competition instead? Should I take a really low number of hours and do both? What'll look best for OCI? I'm not really "involved" at my school, so being able to put Moot Court 2012 on the resume might be a night touch. What do you think?

anon168

Re: Resume question

Postby anon168 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi:

My 1L SA is with the General Counsel of a V100, great work, schmoozing w/ senior executives and outside counsel at awesome firms daily.

They want me to stay on throughout 2-L year writing memos, researching, handling small matters, etc.

If I stay on I don't think I'll have time for moot court. Should I do moot court competition instead? Should I take a really low number of hours and do both? What'll look best for OCI? I'm not really "involved" at my school, so being able to put Moot Court 2012 on the resume might be a night touch. What do you think?

Depends on what you want to do. Working with a GC and doing moot court signal very different career interests and paths. Do you want to do ultimately go in-house (or perhaps do transactional stuff)? Or do you want to litigate?

KamaalTheAbstract

Postby KamaalTheAbstract » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi:

I didn't do a journal or moot court and was rarely asked why. When I was I just told them I wanted to work instead. Really shouldn't be an issue as long as either worked, did moot court, or a journal. Even less of an issue if you don't want to be a litigator. I worked in house at a Fortune 500 company during 1L summer and my interviewers were very interested in how in house counsel live their lives. I didn't even do much there but they didn't care.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:15 pm

OP here.

Thanks for the advice.

Return to “Legal Employment”