How grade selective is Weil?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273411
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

How grade selective is Weil?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:27 pm

Does anyone have any anecdotal evidence about how grade selective Weil is?

I have heard that that they are are one of the least grade selective, more personality oriented V10s, but I generally have no idea what this means.

It's my top choice but I don't want to waste a bid if my grades are too low. Thanks!

User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: How grade selective is Weil?

Postby buckilaw » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:31 pm

Tagged.

And to ask another question, what personality does Weil tend to look for? I've heard them described as having a fratty/work hard play hard culture, is this true for the whole firm or just certain practice areas?

czelede
Posts: 689
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: How grade selective is Weil?

Postby czelede » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:34 pm

The NY office has dipped down to median/slightly below, secondary journal, from both M and P in the past year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273411
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How grade selective is Weil?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:36 pm

I can confirm Weil is not particularly grade conscious, especially at top schools.

The personality they're looking for is fun. Not necessarily "fratty." Just really personable people who can hold a solid conversation about anything.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273411
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How grade selective is Weil?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:36 pm

czelede wrote:The NY office has dipped down to median/slightly below, secondary journal, from both M and P in the past year.


very helpful, thank you!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273411
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How grade selective is Weil?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:36 pm

Also curious about firm culture. Wondering, too, how hard it is to get slotted into their very well regarded bankruptcy group. How does one express interest about this practice after only taking 1L classes? I have some vanilla f500 work experience but not directly related to BK.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273411
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How grade selective is Weil?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:44 pm

How often do they hire 3L's?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273411
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How grade selective is Weil?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:42 pm

Weil is not grade selective at top schools. They really like diverse candidates. If you have a shot at a stronger V15/ V20 that hasn't been deferring their classes I would strongly consider that other offer, though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273411
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How grade selective is Weil?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Weil is not grade selective at top schools. They really like diverse candidates. If you have a shot at a stronger V15/ V20 that hasn't been deferring their classes I would strongly consider that other offer, though.


Weil's not doing deferrals anymore. At least afaik.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273411
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How grade selective is Weil?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:04 am

i know at least one person at my t30 who was picked for an interview with weil and who didn't meet the grade cutoff pref that they had listed. i don't know if you can take that to mean weil isn't grade selective (his grades were still very high), but it's something to think about i guess.

WODKilla123
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: How grade selective is Weil?

Postby WODKilla123 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:12 am

.
Last edited by WODKilla123 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: How grade selective is Weil?

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:16 am

However, is it it hard to get slotted into this prestigious restructuring group even though the firm is generally not super grade selective at my school overall?


LOL no.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: How grade selective is Weil?

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:19 am

Weil started most of their class of 2011 in January, and gave them a measly $10,000 salary advance to boot. While they may have just worked through their backlog of associates, there's no guarantee that they'll have enough work for them as they become midlevels, and their situation shows that even a modest second recession can throw the whole firm in a whack.

But yes, if V10 status is what you're after, go for it. I know several people who chose it for that reason alone above many other safer firms.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273411
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How grade selective is Weil?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:50 am

Fresh Prince wrote:I know several people who chose it for that reason alone above many other safer firms.


What are these "safer firms" (regardless of preftige rank)?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273411
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How grade selective is Weil?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:01 am

CCN 3.45 (top third ish) + 16 months F500/non MBB consulting work experience but unrelated to bk. Want to work in Weil's bankruptcy group because of its top tier debtor side work. I'm signed up to take both Bankruptcy and Secured Transactions next semester so I can mention that in my screener.

However, is it it hard to get slotted into this prestigious restructuring group even though the firm is generally not super grade selective at my school overall? Weil for instance las year hired at (and sometimes below) median at my CCN. Should I look into bankruptcy clerkships? tyia for advice.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: How grade selective is Weil?

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:I know several people who chose it for that reason alone above many other safer firms.


What are these "safer firms" (regardless of preftige rank)?


I won't answer unless you ask non-anonymously.

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: How grade selective is Weil?

Postby sunynp » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:08 am

I wouldn't call Weil fratty. Just be friendly and outgoing. Maybe fresh prince can add his opinion, but the NYC office is definitely not fratty IMHO.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: How grade selective is Weil?

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:19 am

sunynp wrote:I wouldn't call Weil fratty. Just be friendly and outgoing. Maybe fresh prince can add his opinion, but the NYC office is definitely not fratty IMHO.


I've heard it's pretty fratty, but no experience firsthand.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273411
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How grade selective is Weil?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:30 am

according to our peers on XO, Weil SAs go hard on weekends. Work hard. Play hard.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273411
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How grade selective is Weil?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:CCN 3.45 (top third ish) + 16 months F500/non MBB consulting work experience but unrelated to bk. Want to work in Weil's bankruptcy group because of its top tier debtor side work. I'm signed up to take both Bankruptcy and Secured Transactions next semester so I can mention that in my screener.

However, is it it hard to get slotted into this prestigious restructuring group even though the firm is generally not super grade selective at my school overall? Weil for instance las year hired at (and sometimes below) median at my CCN. Should I look into bankruptcy clerkships? tyia for advice.


Grades have nothing to do with slotting. Only an SA there but if you wanted to do BFR (bankruptcy) and do decently in your BFR rotation, you'll get your preference and be slotted there. The clerkship certainly wouldn't hurt, of course, but definitely not necessary afaik (disclaimer: didn't even rotate through BFR so not an authority on the matter).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273411
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How grade selective is Weil?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:25 pm

Very very helpful. thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273411
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How grade selective is Weil?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:59 pm

Weil is less grade conscious than some of the other V10's, but that doesn't mean you can go in as a median/slightly-above-median K-JD with no interesting experience and mediocre interviewing skills and score the job. It just means they care more about other things than grades. Like all top law firms, they probably have a grade level for each school that automatically puts you out of the running, but also like other law firms, once you are within their grade range, getting an offer turns on the other qualities you have to offer. For example, people slightly below median at my CCN regularly get Weil offers, but they usually have something else to offer in terms of interviewing skills/WE/diversity. Weil seems to care a lot about hiring an "interesting" and "diverse" group each summer and less about grades/UG or law school prestige/etc. How they define interesting and diverse seems to vary (although diverse isn't standard URM/LGBT diversity and more diversity of personalities and backgrounds) but as far as I can tell it mostly means that you are a likable person that your interviewers could envision working 80-hour weeks with.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273411
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How grade selective is Weil?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i know at least one person at my t30 who was picked for an interview with weil and who didn't meet the grade cutoff pref that they had listed. i don't know if you can take that to mean weil isn't grade selective (his grades were still very high), but it's something to think about i guess.



can you comment more on this? do you mean the getting to SBA cutoff or did they have one listed on symplicity? also, what were his grades?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.