Slightly above median at UCLA, hope for OCI? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NeedAJobRealGood

New

Slightly above median at UCLA, hope for OCI?

Post by NeedAJobRealGood » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:15 pm

Holla,

I am slightly above median at UCLA (3.27 -- median is somewhere around 3.2).
For what it's worth, I also have a journal, 1L moot court, SBA (student government), a clinic, and one other student org. I'm doing a legal internship this summer, and have a small amount of other similar experience, but really nothing special in terms of job or education history. No law review.

Any chance of finding a job at OCI?
Any tips to improve those chances?

Thanks!

MrAnon

Gold

Re: Slightly above median at UCLA, hope for OCI?

Post by MrAnon » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:20 pm

From what i've heard that's not going to get you much of anything.

Perseus_I

Bronze

Post by Perseus_I » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:30 pm

MrAnon wrote:From what i've heard that's not going to get you much of anything.
This is truly frightening, as a UT student.

lawschooltransparency.com (UCLA):

18.6% of graduates were employed in school-funded jobs. 0.3% were in full-time, long-term school-funded jobs (i.e. the job was for at least 35 hours per week, and had a fixed duration of at least one year or the job had no definite duration).
61.3% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs. This figure includes an unknown number school-funded jobs.
70.9% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
69.8% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.
30.2% underemployment score

So unless things have gotten much worse since the class of 2010, you ought to get something, but it is highly unlikely to be Big Law.

Dman

Bronze

Post by Dman » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:44 pm

Perseus_I wrote:
lawschooltransparency.com (UCLA):

18.6% of graduates were employed in school-funded jobs. 0.3% were in full-time, long-term school-funded jobs (i.e. the job was for at least 35 hours per week, and had a fixed duration of at least one year or the job had no definite duration).
61.3% of graduates were known to be employed in long-term, full-time legal jobs. This figure includes an unknown number school-funded jobs.
70.9% graduates were employed in long-term jobs.
69.8% graduates were employed in full-time jobs.
30.2% underemployment score

So unless things have gotten much worse since the class of 2010, you ought to get something, but it is highly unlikely to be Big Law.
This is horrible misapplication of statistics to the question asked. OCI is only really about big law, so getting something in OCI means near market paying firms. Not sure how you get to "you ought to get something". More pertinent is only 25% in 2010 got big law jobs, slightly higher in 2011. Not all of those people got their big law jobs via OCI. Moreover, OCS has informally stated that less than 20% get something via traditional OCI.

Being slightly above median, barring special skills or experience, will leave you very low chances of getting a job at OCI.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”