Last minute bidlist critique!!! Fordham

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Last minute bidlist critique!!! Fordham

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:19 pm

3.49 GPA, puts me a hair below top 15%
No sig work experience (about a year - in legal industry), interned with Fed District Judge, plan on doing an internship this fall instead of a school extra curricular since I didn't make LR
Want transactional, little to no interest in lit

Clifford Chance
Kaye Scholer
Dechert
Schulte Roth & Zabel
Stroock & Stroock & Lavan
Bryan Cave
Cahill Gordon & Reindel
Fried Frank Harris Shriver & Jacobson
Chadbourne & Parke
Shearman & Sterling
Winston & Strawn
Hughes Hubbard & Reed
Proskauer Rose
Goodwin Procter
Holland & Knight
Hogan Lovells
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius
Fulbright & Jaworski
Kramer, Levin, Naftalis & Frankel
Pillsbury Winthrop
Patton Boggs
Katten Muchin Rosenman
Nixon Peabody
Brown Rudnick
White & Case
K&L Gates
Greenberg Traurig
O'Melveny & [deleted]
Linklaters
Mayer Brown
Seward & Kissel
Carter Ledyard & Milburn
SNR Denton
Kelley Drye & Warren
Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft

1. How's the order? (60% preselect, 40% lottery)
2. Any firms here that shouldn't be? (whether it's because they're too much of a reach or too much of a safety - likely YP)
3. Any firms that aren't here that should be?

Thank you very much, I'd greatly appreciate any help!

Anonymous User

Re: Last minute bidlist critique!!! Fordham

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:25 pm

Generally good, but I think there are a few mistakes. You should definitely put Kaye Scholer lower. They have 42 interview spots, and since they're lower on vault a lot of the top 5% or top 10% won't bid on them. Same goes for Dechert and probably Strook... putting them so high is a huge mistake. Also, I would take out SNR Denton. Its their first time interviewing at Fordham, so if they take anyone it prob won't be more than 1 person.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:27 pm

Put shearman higher, they take a lot from lottery. Put winston lower. Also, Kaye and Dechert should definitely be lower, I agree with the previous poster. If I were you I would take out Kaye completely, since they are almost completely litigation based, and you said you don't want to do litigation. Dechert is also heavily litigation based.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:33 pm

From what I've heard mayer brown has a 3.5 cutoff. Try shulte roth, they do mostly transactional work

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:42 pm

You should probably put a few more selective firms in there, try sidley. If you don't want to do litigation, forget about Kaye Scholer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:46 pm

I have similar grades at Fordham also and it looks pretty similar to my list..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:47 pm

no journal at all or no LR?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Also, I would take out SNR Denton. Its their first time interviewing at Fordham, so if they take anyone it prob won't be more than 1 person.

Apparently it is not their first time, just that it recently merged and there's no data for it on the offer tracker.

Also, not the OP but around 25% with secondary, is Milbank worth adding to my bidlist and if so, high up or just throw them down below?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:17 pm

Milbank is a stretch. SNR Denton doesn't seem like a good ninja bid. Its a pretty massive firm, I don't see what's so ninja about them. Try for a smaller 21 interview firm. Also, I would suggest dla piper (altho not as a ninja bid of course). Also, apparently stroock had a rough year, I would be shocked if they didn't take less SA's, or at least less on lottery, so it might not be worth bidding them so high

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:07 pm

I would add some more selective firms and not use your lotto bids on kaye and clifford where you'd have a good shot on getting interviews via preselect instead of lotto, anyway (I know you bid them high b/c they have good lotto stats). There are some more selective firms that have decent lotto stats, too. I would find those and bid them first.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:13 pm

Agree with previous poster about Kaye, but not on Clifford. Bidding Clifford high is a good idea... Less people than ud expect bid on them because they're a really prestigious firm, so bidding them high will close to guarantee u lottery. But yeah bid Kaye scholer around 9 or 10 I'd say

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:33 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:43 pm

I disagree here with the advice re: Mayer Brown. They LOVE Fordham kids and I know for a fact they dip below 3.5 based on people working there this summer - that kind of cutoff basically would mean they only hire just outside the top 10% and that is far from the truth. Regardless, you are right on that cusp and they are not grade selective enough to fault you for being .01 below the alleged cutoff.

I would not waste a bid on Proskauer. Heard of numerous bad interview experiences with them from non-LR kids - they were extremely forthcoming about how they prefer NYU/Columbia students and were only interested in top Fordham students on LR - it was frankly very obnoxious and rude.

Also I disagree that Milbank would be a stretch. I think thats a perfectly reasonable target for someone between top 15-25% at Fordham, and a lot of past offers have gone to non LR kids. Cahill also offers tons of Fordham kids but I think they were 100% Law Review last year - I would probably say they are still worth a bid though with your GPA, just something to be aware of.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:I disagree here with the advice re: Mayer Brown. They LOVE Fordham kids and I know for a fact they dip below 3.5 based on people working there this summer - that kind of cutoff basically would mean they only hire just outside the top 10% and that is far from the truth. Regardless, you are right on that cusp and they are not grade selective enough to fault you for being .01 below the alleged cutoff.

I would not waste a bid on Proskauer. Heard of numerous bad interview experiences with them from non-LR kids - they were extremely forthcoming about how they prefer NYU/Columbia students and were only interested in top Fordham students on LR - it was frankly very obnoxious and rude.

Also I disagree that Milbank would be a stretch. I think thats a perfectly reasonable target for someone between top 15-25% at Fordham, and a lot of past offers have gone to non LR kids. Cahill also offers tons of Fordham kids but I think they were 100% Law Review last year - I would probably say they are still worth a bid though with your GPA, just something to be aware of.

Agreed, on the Proskauer advice. Guy was a huge douche.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:15 pm

Mayer brown is very grade selective, i think its a waste of a bid. They do love fordham students.... fordham students in the top 10% or perhaps in the 3.5 range with law review

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Mayer brown is very grade selective, i think its a waste of a bid. They do love fordham students.... fordham students in the top 10% or perhaps in the 3.5 range with law review

Again, I really really don't think this is accurate. 2 of the 5 Fordham students in their current SA class I know for an absolute fact fall below top 10%, and only 1 of the 5 is even on LR. I'm also 99% certain that the non LR kids summering there were NOT top 10% last year. Maybe my friends there are anomalies but I highly doubt it - obviously there are some other anecdotes floating around that don't match up with this and I think that is more of a function of the general arbitrariness of OCI - if you look at the Fordham students summering there now, what you are saying is absolutely not true and I would definitely not consider them a waste of a bid for people in this range

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:50 pm

This raises the issue of where I put Mayer/Milbank if I were to add them ... It seems like they'd pretty much have to be top 5 for a shot at an interview (especially Mayer since they have 21 screeners), but now I'm not sure if it's worth risking those valuable top spots if the chances are so iffy

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:01 pm

Why not Ropes?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Why not Ropes?

Heard it's too much of a reach so figured it isn't worth it.
Would it be more or less competitive for the boston office of a firm like Goodwin/Ropes? I don't have any real ties, but I really like it there and for those firms they have more practice areas I want in Boston

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:20 pm

Definitely don't but Mayer toward the top... those top 7 or 8 bids are so important. Also, I agree with the previous posters, kaye scholer should be lower

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:22 pm

Ropes is a huge reach, I wouldn't bother. ITE you want to make the most out of every bid

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:24 pm

agreed. put strook a bit lower as well

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:27 pm

I revised the list a while ago, here's what I have so far (though probably going to take off proskauer and replace with either mayer or milbank)

Clifford Chance US LLP
Shearman & Sterling LLP
White & Case LLP
Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP
Linklaters
Bryan Cave LLP
Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
Fried Frank Harris Shriver & Jacobson LLP
Chadbourne & Parke LLP
O'Melveny & [deleted] LLP
Winston & Strawn LLP
Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP
Proskauer Rose LLP
Goodwin Procter LLP
Holland & Knight LLP
Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
Hogan Lovells LLP
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P.
Kramer, Levin, Naftalis & Frankel LLP
Pillsbury Winthrop LLP
Bingham McCutchen LLP
Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
Otterbourg, Steindler, Houston & Rosen P.C.
Brown Rudnick LLP
Dechert LLP
K&L Gates LLP
Greenberg Traurig LLP
Kaye Scholer LLP
Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP
SNR Denton
Seward & Kissel LLP
Hahn & Hessen LLP
Kelley Drye & Warren LLP
Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Why not Ropes?

Heard it's too much of a reach so figured it isn't worth it.
Would it be more or less competitive for the boston office of a firm like Goodwin/Ropes? I don't have any real ties, but I really like it there and for those firms they have more practice areas I want in Boston

Ropes is top dog in Boston (arguably) and more middle-of-the-pack in NYC (except for IP Lit). So if you are out of luck for NYC, then it may be the same for Boston.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:41 pm

looks good. put either milbank or mayer toward the middle/bottom tho

Return to “Legal Employment”