Switching department areas before starting?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Switching department areas before starting?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:16 pm

I'm starting at an NYC firm this September, V20, big corp and lit departments. I am currently slated to start as a lit associate, but am seriously considering switching to Corp before I start.

Anybody have any experience with this? I know a few Corp partners pretty well and worked in both departments over the summer.

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Switching department areas before starting?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:44 pm

at my v20 i know associates who switched between corp and lit after a year or so. so this kind of thing is not unheard of. and i would think switching in your position would be much easier, and more preferable, since you haven't laid any groundwork yet. i would talk to recruiting about it. this is probably not the first time dealing with this thing for them so they should have at least some type of protocol on how to deal with it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:55 pm

I just did it, it was NBD. Just talk to your recruiter. They should let you switch long as Corp isn't oversubscribed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:18 pm

Anybody else have any advice or experience with this?

Return to “Legal Employment”