Non-URM at Vault Diversity Career Fair Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Non-URM at Vault Diversity Career Fair

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:49 am

I'm reaching out to TLS since I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone at CSO, or anywhere else for that matter. I searched through old threads, but couldn't seem to find a spot on answer to my problem.

I attend a TTT where I finished in the top 5% after 1L. (+substantive pre law school WE) Knowing that my chances are slim as far as employment goes, I submitted my resume to the Vault Diversity fair, which expressly provides that the fair is open to all law school students. I am a heterosexual caucasian male. However, I feel that my experiences make me diverse as I grew up in Alaska and have lived in different places all over the world, etc.

I received an interview invitation from a firm that has not hired from my TTT school in years. (Nor do they participate in the dismal "OCI program" that my school hosts.) I feel that my showing up the interview may put a bad taste in the hiring partner's mouth as I am seemingly taking advantage of a program originally intended to assist the traditionally disadvantaged. (This is by no means my intention, but I can understand how it could be construed as such.)

I feel that I have three options:

-Decline the interview altogether, and withdraw my resume from the fair.
-Accept the interview, and be ready to get hit with whatever comes my way.
-On the Vault acceptance form, there is a place to leave a "Note for the Recruiter". I could accept the invite, while leaving a note explaining my circumstances, and letting them know that I would be happy to give my interview slot to someone who fits the traditional notions of diversity that they may be looking for.

Any suggestions from people who have attended the fair in years past? All insight and advice would be much appreciated.

anonymcoffee

Bronze

Re: Non-URM at Vault Diversity Career Fair

Post by anonymcoffee » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:59 am

...why would you apply to a program geared towards 'underrepresented groups'... well anyway, I have no advice for you really. I went last year, even the recruiters and the speakers were diverse and focused heavily on diversity, it'll probably be awkward.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:09 am

OP here:
Anonymous User wrote:...why would you apply to a program geared towards 'underrepresented groups'...
a. I want a job.
b. The fair is open to all law students. (Yes, I know that they are probably required to say that.)

anonymcoffee

Bronze

Post by anonymcoffee » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here:

a. I want a job.
fair enough ... at this point you can't back out, maybe try to bring up in your answers on how you offer diversity without straight up saying "i am diverse because..." They may not ask you but question it or assume you are "underrepresented" in some way.

As for the fair, I stayed for a long time and walked around so the white males stuck out like sore thumbs.

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:24 am

Dude, they're not going to ask you how you're diverse. They can't. How would they even ask that in an interview? "So...you're part black? Or gay? Or what? Because you look white." Diversity as it is being used for this law fair is a personal thing, so if you feel you're diverse, then you are. So chill, just do the interview, and don't go around writing any notes to anyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:41 am

[/quote] the white males stuck out like sore thumbs.[/quote]

But were they successful?

anonymcoffee

Bronze

Post by anonymcoffee » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
the white males stuck out like sore thumbs.[/quote]

But were they successful?[/quote]

what white male isn't? don't want to get into a debate on diversity and urm right now, but if you have good stats, better than those that are there legitimately, the firm will want you, you'll get callbacks, fit right in that 'culture,' and you'll get hired (and firm will boast diverse hiring). yay for everyone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:03 pm

I received an interview for the Dupont Minority Fair and I am about as non-urm as they come. I figure they could tell by my last name that I am white and gave me the interview anyways. Screw it, why not go, you offer diversity in other ways probably than just having a different skin color.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”