Does Size Matter? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kalvano

Diamond

Does Size Matter?

Post by kalvano » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:41 am

If an employer / judge asks for a writing sample and they specify a maximum length, does it look bad to submit something roughly half of that length?

ggocat

Gold

Re: Does Size Matter?

Post by ggocat » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:59 am

I don't think it looks bad. Of course, depends on the length.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:01 am

Maximum 10 pages, what I would like to use is about 5 and 1/4 pages.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:06 am

Only if you print it on resume paper, so the extra weight will carry it further down the staircase they use to weed out applicants.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:49 pm

kalvano wrote:Maximum 10 pages, what I would like to use is about 5 and 1/4 pages.
Sounds good to me. Quality over quantity.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Perseus_I

Bronze

Post by Perseus_I » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:50 pm

Yes. A small one can definitely be a disadvantage, especially when it causes loss of self-confidence.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:04 pm

Bedsole wrote:Only if you print it on resume paper, so the extra weight will carry it further down the staircase they use to weed out applicants.
I know this is a joke, but some judges take writing samples really seriously. The judge I'm extending for now had a bunch of parts highlighted, noted things in the margins, and gave me very specific feedback about specific sections/cases. This might be a total anomaly, but some judges are very conscious of your writing.

fish52

Bronze

Post by fish52 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:06 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Bedsole wrote:Only if you print it on resume paper, so the extra weight will carry it further down the staircase they use to weed out applicants.
I know this is a joke, but some judges take writing samples really seriously. The judge I'm extending for now had a bunch of parts highlighted, noted things in the margins, and gave me very specific feedback about specific sections/cases. This might be a total anomaly, but some judges are very conscious of your writing.
Freudian slip?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:08 pm

fish52 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
Freudian slip?
:lol: iPhone auto correct. Totally didn't notice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:28 pm

ilovesf wrote: I know this is a joke, but some judges take writing samples really seriously. The judge I'm extending for now had a bunch of parts highlighted, noted things in the margins, and gave me very specific feedback about specific sections/cases. This might be a total anomaly, but some judges are very conscious of your writing.
Oh, I agree. The judge I externed for reviewed my writing sample before hiring me and again after hiring me so she could determine my level of expertise before deciding what type of assignment to give me. I was merely commenting on how strange and arbitrary hiring sometimes feels as an applicant.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:32 pm

Bedsole wrote:
ilovesf wrote: I know this is a joke, but some judges take writing samples really seriously. The judge I'm extending for now had a bunch of parts highlighted, noted things in the margins, and gave me very specific feedback about specific sections/cases. This might be a total anomaly, but some judges are very conscious of your writing.
Oh, I agree. The judge I externed for reviewed my writing sample before hiring me and again after hiring me so she could determine my level of expertise before deciding what type of assignment to give me. I was merely commenting on how strange and arbitrary hiring sometimes feels as an applicant.
Oh yeah. My judge straight up said if you passed the grade/writing threshold all she wanted was someone nice to talk to. I feel like a lot of legal hiring is like that though.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:34 pm

Thanks for the replies. I went with the shorter sample. Even though it's slightly less analysis, it's far more polished. Besides, a judge might appreciate brevity instead of trying to fill all 10 pages.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:38 pm

ilovesf wrote: Oh yeah. My judge straight up said if you passed the grade/writing threshold all she wanted was someone nice to talk to. I feel like a lot of legal hiring is like that though.
My judge flat out told me I got the interview because she had a good experience with an extern who had a science degree, and she wanted to see if she could duplicate the results.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:50 pm

Its not the size, it's what you can do with it

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”