How to discuss transferring during an interview Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to discuss transferring during an interview

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:58 pm

So far, all of my interviews have been with partners/associates who graduated from other law schools. However, tomorrow, I am doing an interview with two partners from my 1L school. I will be transferring to T14 this coming fall. How should I explain my reasons for transferring without insulting them? I have thus far been saying that my new school provides more resources in terms of specialized courses I'm interested in taking, a wider range of specializations, and a large, diverse faculty. Is this not appropriate for the alumni of my 1L school?

Obviously, the real answer is job prospects and prestige, but I'm not going to say that.

bk1

Diamond

Re: How to discuss transferring during an interview

Post by bk1 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:02 pm

They really wouldn't be open to "job prospects" as an answers?

monkey85

Bronze

Post by monkey85 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:03 pm

1. Don't bash the old school - continue to say how great it was for 1L; the professors you loved - obviously they liked you since you formed good enough relationships to get LORs.

2. Say how old school continues to be great, but job prospects are not as good as they were when THEY were in school - this should be a reasonable answer as long as tactful; they are partners and hiring was much different 7-9 years ago.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:07 pm

most lawyers (even out of touch partners) have at least heard by now that the job market for law grads is abysmal. i really doubt anyone's going to fault you for trying to improve your chances by transferring.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:03 pm

Going to be in the same boat. Thinking about discussing long-term career options being better at a T6 than at a T30, have to do what's right for my career, loved the old school but just wasn't good for the long-term. Maybe using it as an opportunity to show foresight and good business sense (especially since the price is almost the same between schools).

Thoughts?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:21 pm

All this sounds fine. Just be thoughtful and genuine. I don't think this is a trick question or anything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:32 pm

OP here. The interviewers didn't seem to care. They were more interested in why I wanted to return to that city and why I chose my specific transfer school. They were pretty understanding about the economy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:34 pm

What are these interviews for? 2L summer? When are 1L summer interviews? sorry for the ignorance I'm a 0L.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”