Let's Talk San Francisco - Taking Questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rpupkin

Re: Let's Talk San Francisco - Taking Questions

Postby rpupkin » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:34 pm

ilovesf wrote:Honestly based on everything you said I get the impression you didn't do much research at all into where you lived. I've always parked in the street and it's been fine (a break in, yeah, in the last 6 years). I was fine parking even living in mob hill.

Agreed. There are plenty of neighborhoods in SF that have street parking. I'd say SF is better than the typical big city in this respect, not worse. And lol @ the suggestion that SF has more careless drivers who scratch bumpers. If you want to live in a city and if you park on a street, your bumper is going to get scratched/dinged.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:38 pm

^ yup. I have no idea why people spring for nice cars.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:41 pm

My only anecdote to add: people in LA are objectively worse drivers than the Bay.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:03 pm

bk1 wrote:My only anecdote to add: people in LA are objectively worse drivers than the Bay.

I drove 5 from SF to SD the weekend before last. Holy fuck, there is such a difference in driving skills.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:31 pm

It also makes no sense because I suspect people in SoCal spend more time in the car than those in the Bay Area.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:33 pm

bk1 wrote:It also makes no sense because I suspect people in SoCal spend more time in the car than those in the Bay Area.

2.5 hours a day for me now!

patentlitigatrix

Postby patentlitigatrix » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:22 pm

bk1 wrote:My only anecdote to add: people in LA are objectively worse drivers than the Bay.

This is backwards. I am sure it was just a typo, bk1. :wink:

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:16 pm

patentlitigatrix wrote:

This is backwards. I am sure it was just a typo, bk1. :wink:

:lol:

I drive down a 4 car-wide side streets here nearly every day and there are countless people coming the opposite way who don't understand how to make room for both our cars to pass when there are cars parked on both sides (they either drive down the middle or stop and let me go). There is also a complete inability to read/comprehend the writing on the ground that says "keep clear" in intersections.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:18 pm

bk1 wrote:It also makes no sense because I suspect people in SoCal spend more time in the car than those in the Bay Area.

I think it does make sense. Drivers in LA are purposefully mean and aggressive. I've learned that I simply can't safely use my turn signal to change lanes on the highway because inevitably the person in that lane will speed up to purposefully close to gap for me to merge in.
My favorite is when a lane ends or like freeway on ramps when the driver won't let you in even though there is physically no other place for you to go.
LA drivers are just the worse. And to boot LA has a 50% hit and run rate.
Amazingly, the new Metro seems to work great.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:30 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Drivers in LA are purposefully mean and aggressive.

This is not what I mean. I mean that they have much less understanding about the size and spacial position of their vehicle. There is nothing purposeful about believing your car is 12" wider than it actually is.

Return to “Legal Employment”