T30, Need to decide on my last few bids (help)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

T30, Need to decide on my last few bids (help)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:18 pm

Top 25%, can't decide on filling a few slots. Picking from among these firms: (would rather do transactional, but either one is fine)

(NYC):
Bingham McCutchen
Alston & Bird
Carter Ledyard
Patton Boggs
Duane Morris
Curtis Mallet

From what I gather, Patton Boggs and Carter have the smallest class sizes out of these firms. The rest have about 10 or so. If I had to fill 2 slots, which of these would be the best bet?

Also, anybody know anything about Otterbourg Steindler or SNR Denton? I have limited stats on them but maybe a ninja bid here and there might help.

rad lulz

Re: T30, Need to decide on my last few bids (help)

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:23 pm

You're anon. Just say your school you tard.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:38 pm

rad lulz wrote:You're anon. Just say your school you tard.

Oh look, a keyboard warrior.

Fordham.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:41 pm

Journal, WE, IP?

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:05 pm

Carter Ledyard doesn't pay market. That or their website is out of date.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Journal, WE, IP?

Secondary, 1 year work experience.

I just need to fill 2 slots really, can't decide between any of those.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Journal, WE, IP?

Secondary, 1 year work experience.

I just need to fill 2 slots really, can't decide between any of those.

Bingham is always cited for great quality of life, for what that's worth. If it were up to me I'd pick Bingham and Alston & Bird, but that's probably because I was agonizing over those two for a while on my own bid list.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:14 pm

Carter Ledyard is a good pick, they take a fair amount of people and I think you'd definitely get an interview. Alston and Bird doesnt take many people, and their NY office isnt much, so I would definitely take them off the list. Curtis Mallet is extremely selective and only takes people with an international background or great foreign language skills, so unless you have that definitely take them off. Patton Boggs is a great pick if you are interested in government work. Duane Morris may be really good as a little bit of a safety. Any of these firms except Alston and Curtis Mallet would be a good pick.

As for Otterbourg and SNR Denton, I probably wouldnt go for them. Otterbourg might be ok as a safe choice, u'll probably get an interview. SNR Denton is only starting to interview at Fordham this year, so I cant see them taking many people (and possibly nobody). Assuming you have 2 slots, I would pick Carter Ledyard and Bingham, Patton or Duane Morris

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:Carter Ledyard is a good pick, they take a fair amount of people and I think you'd definitely get an interview. Alston and Bird doesnt take many people, and their NY office isnt much, so I would definitely take them off the list. Curtis Mallet is extremely selective and only takes people with an international background or great foreign language skills, so unless you have that definitely take them off. Patton Boggs is a great pick if you are interested in government work. Duane Morris may be really good as a little bit of a safety. Any of these firms except Alston and Curtis Mallet would be a good pick.

As for Otterbourg and SNR Denton, I probably wouldnt go for them. Otterbourg might be ok as a safe choice, u'll probably get an interview. SNR Denton is only starting to interview at Fordham this year, so I cant see them taking many people (and possibly nobody). Assuming you have 2 slots, I would pick Carter Ledyard and Bingham, Patton or Duane Morris

This was very helpful, I think I'll go with Carter and Bingham.

Any thoughts on Wilson Sonsoni? Looks like a great firm but they only took 1 SA in NYC last year, makes it unappealing. I feel like not many people might bid on them though and they have given Fordham kids offers in the past, and are only this year coming to interview for the NYC office.

Also, would it be wise to throw in Pryor Cashman? They pay 140k (I think) and only recruit from a few NY schools. Feel like people won't bid on them either.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:59 am

whats your gpa? at fordham i'd imagine there is a big difference between just missing the top 10% cutoff and barely making the top 25%

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Also, would it be wise to throw in Pryor Cashman? They pay 140k (I think) and only recruit from a few NY schools. Feel like people won't bid on them either.

OP, I'm in the same % boat as you (also at Fordham) and I'd caution that more people are bidding on these midsized, below market, or NJ firms than you might think. An upperclassmen told me certain firms get popular as "safety picks."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

OP, I'm in the same % boat as you (also at Fordham) and I'd caution that more people are bidding on these midsized, below market, or NJ firms than you might think. An upperclassmen told me certain firms get popular as "safety picks."

OP here, I think the people bidding on NJ firms and expecting little to no ties simply because they are from the city are in for a rude awakening. As for Pryor, I figured that was the alternate possibility.

Anybody have any further input?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:43 am

Whats your GPA?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:52 am

I'm around 25%.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:57 am

Anecdotal, but SNR Denton is a pretty good ninja bid. Know someone (maybe me) that got it through the lottery last year when bidding it number 25. Few people at Fordham seem to know about it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:02 pm

What? Isn't it their first time at Fordham this year?

There are no stats on them. Also, is Carter Ledyard actually below market with their pay or was one of the above posts false?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What? Isn't it their first time at Fordham this year?

There are no stats on them. Also, is Carter Ledyard actually below market with their pay or was one of the above posts false?

For some reason the offer tracker does not track them. Something to do with a merger they underwent a couple of years ago which is why they aren't so well know come OCI time. And yes, Carter Ledyard pays below market.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anecdotal, but SNR Denton is a pretty good ninja bid. Know someone (maybe me) that got it through the lottery last year when bidding it number 25. Few people at Fordham seem to know about it.

how do you know you got them through lottery?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anecdotal, but SNR Denton is a pretty good ninja bid. Know someone (maybe me) that got it through the lottery last year when bidding it number 25. Few people at Fordham seem to know about it.

how do you know you got them through lottery?

Know the hiring partner.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:23 pm

SNR Denton is a huge firm, I doubt they can be considered under the radar. I go to Fordham and I know about them, as do most people I've talked to. Its not much of a ninja bid.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:41 pm

Speaking of ninja bids, what firms plausibly qualify as such?

I'm wondering who will be bidding on all the firms with less than 21 interview slots, and very poor offer tracker stats.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:31 pm

If Olshan is coming this year, they are worth a bid. Pays well, and seem to like Fordham kids (they have 3 SA's this summer, 2 are Fordham both of which have similar stats to those thrown around here). I think last year they did not come to EIW but were in one of the first OCI weeks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If Olshan is coming this year, they are worth a bid. Pays well, and seem to like Fordham kids (they have 3 SA's this summer, 2 are Fordham both of which have similar stats to those thrown around here). I think last year they did not come to EIW but were in one of the first OCI weeks.

Not the OP, but thanks for the tip. They're doing Fall Week 2.

Return to “Legal Employment”