Giving Up - Need a Plan B

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Giving Up - Need a Plan B

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:31 pm

I've done everything I can think of to get a job as an attorney, but I think I am just going to give up.

My undergraduate degree is in marketing and finance. I graduated with honors from a T50 law school about 5 years. Started working at a toxic tort law firm for a few years as a staff attorney because my summer firm renegged my offer. Kept trying to lateral to another firm, but came up with nothing. Was told that working in toxic tort law hurt my chances at ever moving out of that practice area. To "reinvent" myself, I obtain a federal magistrate clerkship in a different city. My clerkship is about to end and I have been applying to jobs for the past 6 months with no luck. The city where my clerkship is at is small with little legal opportunity. I have been trying to move back to my old city, but have been unlucky.

With the legal experience I obtained thus far, and undergraduate background, what job alternative should I look for? I'm trying to think of jobs that would value clerkship exprience as well as some trial experience. Any thoughts/success stories?

CanadianWolf

Re: Giving Up - Need a Plan B

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:35 pm

Can you clerk for a state supreme court justice or for the state appellate court ?

attractive_NUisance

Postby attractive_NUisance » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:43 pm

Might be worth it to get an MBA to switch careers - either full scholarship to a lower-ranked school or no money at a Top 10 school may be possible with an extremely good GMAT score. You can sell some of the skills as transferable to various career paths if you get creative. It sucks that the no-offer from your summer firm in 2006 is still hurting you. If you want to stay in law you can clerk another few years, work for a smaller firm, or setup your own practice.

$$$$$$

Postby $$$$$$ » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:45 pm

If you have experience with a federal magistrate judge, had an SA, and did complex tort class action litigation, I would say that you are marketable to any plaintiffs firm in the country. Granted, the sophisticated securities lit shops may be out of reach because that is such a niche area, but even then, complex FRCP issues arise all the time, and having someone that understands them is really important. Have you been trying to set up meetings and phone calls with partners at these types of firms that are alumni of your law school?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:46 pm

attractive_NUisance wrote:Might be worth it to get an MBA to switch careers - either full scholarship to a lower-ranked school or no money at a Top 10 school may be possible with an extremely good GMAT score. You can sell some of the skills as transferable to various career paths if you get creative. It sucks that the no-offer from your summer firm in 2006 is still hurting you. If you want to stay in law you can clerk another few years, work for a smaller firm, or setup your own practice.

OP here. I actually wouldn't mind going back to school, but seeing that I am almost 30 and already have $180K in student loans, I should abstain from incurring additional educational debt.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:49 pm

$$$$$$ wrote:If you have experience with a federal magistrate judge, had an SA, and did complex tort class action litigation, I would say that you are marketable to any plaintiffs firm in the country. Granted, the sophisticated securities lit shops may be out of reach because that is such a niche area, but even then, complex FRCP issues arise all the time, and having someone that understands them is really important. Have you been trying to set up meetings and phone calls with partners at these types of firms that are alumni of your law school?

I have, but the tort reform laws in this state have effectively wiped out work for personal injury/toxic tort firms. The firm I used to work is on the brink of implosion. Most of my former practice group of 30 associates were laid off a few months ago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:51 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Can you clerk for a state supreme court justice or for the state appellate court ?

I've applied for state clerkships, in addition to some federal clerkships, but have come up empty. Most of the state appellate clerkships are career and I have not seen any job openings for those positions lately.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:53 pm

One of the most successful attorneys I know has a one lawyer (now two as his son joined him) plaintiff's medical malpractice firm. Averages over $2 million a year. Maybe you can join with a few of the other 30 lawyers from your prior firm & start your own firm since you have 5 years of experience.

I know that this isn't ideal since you have substantial student loan debt, but sometimes you just need to take control & make things happen. Five years experience is sufficient to "hit the ground running".

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:26 pm

Actually, is anyone familiar with obtaining employment through Westlaw or Lexis? I figure the researching experience from my clerkship and law firm should make me a somewhat desirable candidate.

Return to “Legal Employment”