Question despite knowing better

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Question despite knowing better

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:53 pm

I come from a blue collar background. Family was broke as fuck, I worked blue collar work for most of my adult life. I am outgoing and love to joke around.

Problem: I do not fit in at the firm I am currently working for. I fucking hate it here. I know that this is often limited to practice groups and the people you work with, but fuck it, I am asking anyway:

Anybody know of firms that are big on being friendly and sociable with one another? Firms that emphasize their "blue-collarness"? Stupid question, I know, but I'm emotional about it and am just hoping despite knowing better.

Anonymous User

Re: Question despite knowing better

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:56 pm

If you don't fit in the way I think you might not fit in based on what you said about yourself, then dude, I dunno.

Learn to be like them. Biglaw is still a very genteel/douchebaggy/upper-crust profession, and if you're miserable now...wait will you're done with your SA when the heat turns up.

So my advice is: learn to be like them. Learn how to talk about restaurants and clothes and sports teams and whatnot. I don't think people will look down on your because of your background, just don't let it dominate who you are.

Anonymous User

Re: Question despite knowing better

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:02 pm

There are plenty of "blue collar" firms out there but they pay blue collar salaries. If you want whiteshoe salaries you have to deal with the whiteshoe attitude a bit. You can still think people are being entitled pricks but I would recommend fitting in as best as you can, take the money and then get out when you're ready. Certainly don't need to change the way you are as long as you aren't making people uncomfortable who work with you.

Return to “Legal Employment”