Top 20% at a top 25 law school

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Kitakk

Top 20% at a top 25 law school

Postby Kitakk » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:20 pm

I have 4 years work experience in hotels before I went to law school. Regretably I am not on Law Review or even any journals, which has me worried. I wanted to focus on Moot Court, understanding that many students do not have time for both Journal and Moot Court. However, tryouts are not until the first few weeks of 2L year.

I just submitted my bids to about 30 firms, most of them local, but I have no idea what to expect. The waiting is getting to me, which brings me here. What do you think my chances are?

Edit: I am looking primarily at the St. Louis market, though it looks like from comments on this forum, I should expand to at least the NYC market and perhaps more broadly.
Last edited by Kitakk on Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Review

Re: Top 20% at a top 25 law school

Postby Dr. Review » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:28 pm

Chances of getting a useful response without naming a school, market, and any firm names at all?

Slim to none.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:31 pm

Need more info.

Not being on any journals, and not by choice, seems extremely strange to me. Don't most schools basically have enough secondary journals such that if you wanted to be on one, you can be?

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:35 pm

If it's a small market, you are likely boned in terms of competitive jobs in that market.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:49 pm

I assume WUSTL.

St. Louis firms are more than likely going to look at your ties there. As someone else mentioned in another thread, if you didn't basically grow up there you're kind of screwed... that may be a slight exaggeration, but probably not that much of one. But then again if you did, you've probably got an okay shot at it. The market isn't huge though.

In general though, yeah, expand pretty broadly.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:58 pm

PM me more details and I can probably help figure out where you've got a shot.

Return to “Legal Employment”