Cover letter question about area-specific secondary journals

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
fish tacos

Cover letter question about area-specific secondary journals

Postby fish tacos » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:34 pm

Hello all,

Trying to buckle down and get started on all the cover letters I will need to write for OCI/mass mailing. My main question is how to reference my recently accepted staff position on a secondary journal that is pretty area-specific. My particular journal is focused on finance and banking law, but the advice could also apply to other journals that perhaps are litigation-specific or something like a "Constitutional Review." Obviously if a firm or office has a large corporate/transactional practice it would be wise to reference this journal and my early interest in that area (about as much as a rising 2L can have knowing absolutely nothing of practical usefulness), but what if the firm is a large general practice or otherwise is known for some other practice area? I don't want to lose out on potential interviews for seeming too focused on one area. How does one get the benefit of being included on a journal without possible blowback from that journal being highly specific? Is TCR just to leave it on the resume and not even mention it in the cover letter? I'm around top 25% at a T1 with decent regional pull if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

kalvano

Re: Cover letter question about area-specific secondary journals

Postby kalvano » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:29 pm

Just put "I will be a staff editor on XXX Law Review." Or whatever the journal name is. No one is going to not interview / hire you because of the journal you're on.

Return to “Legal Employment”