Watches and OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Watches and OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:31 am

So I have a second-hand Rolex Explorer that I got through connections at my old job (I'm not wealthy at all). I'm pretty sure it's either real or a close approximation after taking it to a Rolex shop. I think wearing it to interviews would be a mistake. But I don't have any other. Am I ok not wearing one at all, or should I get one just for OCI? If so, I haven't a clue how to go about doing it or even if I could afford an acceptable one.

Old Gregg

Re: Watches and OCI

Postby Old Gregg » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:36 am

Buy a shitty one from CVS and case closed. How is this even a question? No one will care.

Not wearing one is fine too, but it's useful to have a watch during OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:41 am

Cheap would be a mistake, and I've never understood the point of any watch that isn't super expensive. Telling time is what cellphones are for. Watches are more an outfit. But big lawl partners are from the upper middle class of a past generation. As a first generation American, I have no idea how they think or what they expect.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:42 am

Cell phone is always risky. It could go off during an interview. Better keep off. And yes, vibrate is awfully loud during an interview.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:Cheap would be a mistake, and I've never understood the point of any watch that isn't super expensive. That's what cellphones are for. But big lawl partners are from the upper middle class of a past generation. As a first generation American, I have no idea how they think or what they expect.

I feel like recruiters would be more likely to notice a flashy watch than a cheap one. My expensive watch has diamonds on it, and I would never wear it to an interview. I don't want someone to get distracted, see it, and then form some negative opinion about me like "I bet rich parents gave that to her. She's spoiled and lazy" when that's not the case.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:49 am

As someone with no taste whatsoever, any suggestions that would be affordable? Is this a mandatory part of a professional outfit, or is it only "useful"? (why on earth would I be checking the time during an interview is beyond me. I work in a court and just keep my phone off or silent; it's never gone off)

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:05 am

Fresh Prince wrote:Cell phone is always risky. It could go off during an interview. Better keep off. And yes, vibrate is awfully loud during an interview.

Airplane mode FTW.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:12 am

Dear god, you don't have to wear a watch. Turn your phone off. They'll decide when the interview is over. It's not like you're going to say "Well, my watch says my 20 mins are up. Bye."

--ImageRemoved--

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:14 am

1. Skip the watch during OCI.
2. If you must, any 50-100 dollar watch will do. Think fossil, skagen, etc.
Emma. wrote:Airplane mode FTW.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:22 am

Anonymous User wrote: I'm pretty sure it's either real or a close approximation after taking it to a Rolex shop.

Well, close approximations are just as cheap as poor approximations. 10 buck in times square (less if you bargain good)

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:26 am

Flips88 wrote:Dear god, you don't have to wear a watch. Turn your phone off. They'll decide when the interview is over. It's not like you're going to say "Well, my watch says my 20 mins are up. Bye."

--ImageRemoved--

This. 1000x this.

emptyflare

Postby emptyflare » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:28 am

Regarding airplane mode: could be risky if your phone has any alarms, calendar alerts, or any other non-data/non-service alert that could make a noise

simpletimes

Postby simpletimes » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:56 am

you could also spend $100-200 on a reasonable watch that you don't have to worry too much about screwing up. citizen, armitron, etc. come to mind.

wuduhel

Postby wuduhel » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:18 am

I don't know why a stainless steel watch would be an issue. It's under your cuff most of the time and barely visible. Don't ostentatiously pull your cuff back to check the time and wave it in the interviewer's face tho, that would be bad form.

If it were gold, rose gold, diamond-encrusted, etc, then I could see it being more of an issue. But stainless is ubiquitous, it could be anything from an Invicta to an Omega.

I'll be wearing my nice SS watch and am not going to worry about it.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:21 am

If you aren't wearing a pocket watch to go with your cravat and walking stick, you're definitely not getting the job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:02 am

Similar question: I have a gold watch (an Omega) with diamonds on the face and a gold-and-silver linked metal band. I kind of consider the watch "lucky" as I've worn it during many important events.

Is this too flashy to wear with a navy or charcoal suit at OCI?

justinp

Postby justinp » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:43 am

I'd probably grab something with a quartz movement that would lie a bit more flat. I usually wear a cheap Invicta autowinder, and find that it's just too thick to wear elegantly with a suit-- my shirt cuff tends to get caught on it, my suit cuff has done the same, and so on.

I've been looking at this as an alternative for anytime it might come across as too flashy/douchy/whatever to wear a big chunky stainless autowinder.

Ozymandias

Postby Ozymandias » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:28 pm

emptyflare wrote:Regarding airplane mode: could be risky if your phone has any alarms, calendar alerts, or any other non-data/non-service alert that could make a noise

You can always just turn the phone off.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Similar question: I have a gold watch (an Omega) with diamonds on the face and a gold-and-silver linked metal band. I kind of consider the watch "lucky" as I've worn it during many important events.

I would stray from this. I'm hoping you're a lady? You will more than likely be encountering a lot of men during interviews/callbacks, and they don't look highly on stuff like this. I wore my watch to the building for my interview today to keep track of time as I walked over but took it off in the elevator. You don't want someone to see your watch and get distracted. Diamonds are super distracting. I can maybe understand one man appreciating another man's Rolex, but I feel like if a guy sees a diamond encrusted lady watch, he'll roll his eyes and assume you're high maintenance.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:01 pm

Jessuf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Similar question: I have a gold watch (an Omega) with diamonds on the face and a gold-and-silver linked metal band. I kind of consider the watch "lucky" as I've worn it during many important events.

I would stray from this. I'm hoping you're a lady? You will more than likely be encountering a lot of men during interviews/callbacks, and they don't look highly on stuff like this. I wore my watch to the building for my interview today to keep track of time as I walked over but took it off in the elevator. You don't want someone to see your watch and get distracted. Diamonds are super distracting. I can maybe understand one man appreciating another man's Rolex, but I feel like if a guy sees a diamond encrusted lady watch, he'll roll his eyes and assume you're high maintenance.

I'm a man, but it's not diamond ENCRUSTED. There are tiny diamonds in place of the numbers around the dial. I was mostly concerned because the face is gold that may look tacky. Still think it's a no go?

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Jessuf wrote:

I'm a man, but it's not diamond ENCRUSTED. There are tiny diamonds in place of the numbers around the dial. I was mostly concerned because the face is gold that may look tacky. Still think it's a no go?

Oh lol sorry. I was picturing something more like my watch. I think that might be more acceptable. Do you have a link to the watch? Hard to tell what it looks like.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:08 pm

Jessuf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Jessuf wrote:

Oh lol sorry. I was picturing something more like my watch. I think that might be more acceptable. Do you have a link to the watch? Hard to tell what it looks like.

--ImageRemoved--

That's exactly how it looks. It's very thin so not bulky or anything. Again, was just worried about the gold looking tacky :\

Even if I don't wear it I'm still bringing it in my pocket ot something though...it's been a lucky charm for a while.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:09 pm

Hm. I would probably not wear that. The face makes it look a bit flashy. Better to be conservative for at least the first round of interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:11 pm

Jessuf wrote:Hm. I would probably not wear that. The face makes it look a bit flashy. Better to be conservative for at least the first round of interviews.

Ok...in the pocket it will go :\

JusticeJackson

Postby JusticeJackson » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:14 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”