Intimidation in Biglaw

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
DwightSchruteFarms

Intimidation in Biglaw

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:22 pm

I am currently a biglaw SA and everything seems to be going well. My work-product is well liked and my personality fits my firm. However, whenever I get an assignment, I always have a habit of looking at the opposing counsel's bios and their education and I can't help but get intimidated by attorneys from very prestigious institutions. I read their work, sometimes, as if it is black letter law, thinking to myself, "Well, if someone from Harvard thought this, then it is probably right." I know that is obviously not the case, and in many instances this summer, I been able to find holes in such arguments. But does anyone else share this sentiment or sometimes feel this way? FYI, I go to a T2 (LR, Moot Court, etc).

Flash

Re: Intimidation in Biglaw

Postby Flash » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:27 pm

I go to a top school and I'm an idiot. There are plenty of other idiots at top schools.

Don't be intimidated if they truly were brillaint they wouldn't have gone to law school.

JusticeJackson

Postby JusticeJackson » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:45 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

L’Étranger

Postby L’Étranger » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:39 pm

Be intimidated by your educational debt. Going to a highly ranked law school is not an achievment worthy of inducing your effacement.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:10 pm

associates usually write the briefs and the partners edit and stuff. in my case, i've seen plenty of shitty briefs from opposing counsel and i'm sure their partners are very prestigious and whatnot

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:33 pm

It seems strange to be intimidated by opposing counsel when you're a summer associate. You're not the one that has to worry about the outcome of the case. The high-level strategy is all being decided by share partners and senior associates. I just worry about doing satisfactory work and being liked by by colleagues.

markman

Postby markman » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:47 pm

You will get over it quick. Only a matter of time.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:14 pm

Flash wrote:I go to a top school and I'm an idiot. There are plenty of other idiots at top schools.

Don't be intimidated if they truly were brillaint they wouldn't have gone to law school.

Credited.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:16 pm

buckilaw wrote:
Flash wrote:I go to a top school and I'm an idiot. There are plenty of other idiots at top schools.

Credited.

I go to HLS, and 90% of this forum thinks I'm an idiot.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:29 pm

ben4847 wrote:
buckilaw wrote:

Credited.

I go to HLS, and 90% of this forum thinks I'm an idiot.

That's just because we haven't read your briefs, dude.

Return to “Legal Employment”