Jenner & Block (Chicago)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Jenner & Block (Chicago)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:35 pm

I've read all of the usual sources of information (NALP, Chambers, Vault, etc.), but I'm curious about other peoples' thoughts or experiences with the firm. Anyone go to the Pre-OCI reception?

homestyle28

Re: Jenner & Block (Chicago)

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:46 pm

I went, had a decent time, seemed solid to me if you want lit + opportunity to do real Pro-Bono...wonder about being a bit LR-type gunner heavy though. Very nice view from conference room.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:30 pm

Current SA (non-Chicago office). The firm is top-notch for litigation - there's really no better place to go unless you're dying to do big securities lit or patent lit. It's less leveraged than other big lit shops and tends to staff cases more leanly, which means you get a ton more substantive experience early on. As the other poster mentioned, the firm is huge on pro bono (ranked #1 in the country by multiple sources), which is a great way to get experience and do stuff that you ordinarily wouldn't get to do as a junior (like take depositions or do oral argument as a first-year, which attorneys in our office have done). Chicago feels like much more of a traditional big law firm office than the other offices, but people are still very warm and friendly and the Chicago attorneys I've met seem extremely happy. People are brilliant, work hard, and expect a lot out of their co-workers, but it's not a place that tolerates sharp elbows or screamers.

sheD

Postby sheD » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Current SA (non-Chicago office). The firm is top-notch for litigation - there's really no better place to go unless you're dying to do big securities lit or patent lit. It's less leveraged than other big lit shops and tends to staff cases more leanly, which means you get a ton more substantive experience early on. As the other poster mentioned, the firm is huge on pro bono (ranked #1 in the country by multiple sources), which is a great way to get experience and do stuff that you ordinarily wouldn't get to do as a junior (like take depositions or do oral argument as a first-year, which attorneys in our office have done). Chicago feels like much more of a traditional big law firm office than the other offices, but people are still very warm and friendly and the Chicago attorneys I've met seem very happy. Definitely not a place that tolerates sharp elbows or screamers, although there is a bit of the "quiet gunner" vibe. 45th floor view in Chicago is truly gorgeous.

I'm really curious about the LA office. Any opinions on the vibe, the people, the work, how it stacks up with other LA lit firms? Any insights much appreciated.

gyarados

Postby gyarados » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:25 pm

Jenner LA is an outpost. It's not even Band 4 in California on Chambers. I doubt they even hire law students.

As far as Jenner Chicago, I went to one of the receptions. People seemed nice, nerdy, bright but not overly so. If you want to do litigation and can't get Kirkland or Sidley, or value pro bono a lot, it's probably your best bet in Chicago.

gendefect

Postby gendefect » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:50 pm

Has anyone had any experience with the NY office? I'd be curious to hear about that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:05 pm

gyarados wrote:Jenner LA is an outpost. It's not even Band 4 in California on Chambers. I doubt they even hire law students.

As far as Jenner Chicago, I went to one of the receptions. People seemed nice, nerdy, bright but not overly so. If you want to do litigation and can't get Kirkland or Sidley, or value pro bono a lot, it's probably your best bet in Chicago.

They take 3-5 summers every year (at least they did this year). My friends who interviewed there (from my HYS) really liked the people but not the size.

Return to “Legal Employment”