Mass Mailing - Using Alumni Network Questions... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mass Mailing - Using Alumni Network Questions...

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:51 am

I am going to start mass mailing this week and I was wondering whether I should shoot for the HR office or using the alumni network (here, alumni network is not people I know intimately, but simply getting their info off the alumni directory) ... my undergraduate is pretty prestigious nationally - not an ivy, but a nationally ranked liberal arts college that is better than amherst - and has many partners/associates all over the V100 firms.

So, my question is should I contact these people who are willing enough to post their info on the alumni directory? And, if I do how should I approach them? I don't mind writing myriad of customized cover letters, and just want a job if my OCI is shit (15-20% in TT; WE in marketing; 5 languages fluent in reading and writing).

Plus, which is better physical or electronic?

I hope you the best in all your endeavors. and also may the force be with you.

Anonymous User

Re: Mass Mailing - Using Alumni Network Questions...

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:07 am

do people use undergraduate alumni networks for law school networking? I thought it was generally the law school alumni network that does the job. I went to one of the top public undergrads too but I figured that our undergrad alumnis couldn't really help if you went to a law school who's alumni network doesn't offer nearly as good of a "reach" or some type of a laterally equivalent prestige in the law school realm. Sorry, I only say this because this is my situation too and I assumed you were seeking undergrad alumni networks because your law school alumni networks weren't as strong?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:08 am

What is with all the people lately asking about using physical mail? Do you also ride around in a horse-drawn buggy captained by an Englishman with a cap at a jaunty angle whose name is George?

It's preferable to use law school alumni for networking, but use what you've got.

You should email alumni at firms you are targeting first. Just introduce yourself and say you go to X school and you noticed they graduated from there and would they be willing to talk about the firm, life there, and hiring policies. If they say yes, email with them for a bit and if they think you've got a shot at the firm, they will likely offer to take your resume to the proper person themselves. If they don't offer, after a few emails, ask them who you should submit an application package to and that will hopefully kick in an offer to do something.

I did it a lot, and I found most people very friendly and willing to help.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:13 am

I am using my undergrad alumni network because it is actually stronger than my law school alumni network. I have actually talked to several undergrad alums at goodwin procter, dechert, wilerhale, and choate and they were more inclined to help me rather than their law school alums.

I am actually interning at a small firm and I got this job through an undergraduate alumni who graduated from Vandy law. He specifically told me that he feels more loyalty to undergradate than law school.

I think it really depends on your undergrad institute. we only had 500 per class and it was a private school with 200+ years of history. the alumni network is very solid and strong. but idk how to approach them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:27 am

Like the poster above I used my undergrad alumni network because it was much better. EVERY biglaw partner/associate etc that I emailed who went to my undergrad was happy to hear from me and responded favorably. Many offered to put in a good word for me.

This could vary a lot depending on your undergrad though. Also like the poster above I went to a small private liberal arts school with ~450 in each class. There is a very strong connection between alums. This might be different if I'd gone to a different/bigger school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:37 am

ah makes sense...I believe my school had several thousands in just our one class so the connections probably aren't as strong. However, this thread has given me motivation so thank y'all!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:ah makes sense...I believe my school had several thousands in just our one class so the connections probably aren't as strong. However, this thread has given me motivation so thank y'all!
well thank you for participating!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”