How to address you transferred in a cover letter?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to address you transferred in a cover letter?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:06 pm

I just decided to transfer to a T-10 school from a T-30. How do I mention this in cover letters? Do I say I am a rising 2L at xxxxx University (new school) and am interested in a summer association position at xxx firm. I attended xxxxx University for my first year of law school?

I'm just not sure the proper way to address this. Any help would be most appreciated.

nmcdgt

Re: How to address you transferred in a cover letter?

Postby nmcdgt » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:19 pm

I would imagine you could just say I'm a rising 2L at <new school>. I'm sure your resume and/or transcript will reflect the old school. Just my 2 cents.

ClarDarr

Postby ClarDarr » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:28 pm

nmcdgt wrote:I would imagine you could just say I'm a rising 2L at <new school>. I'm sure your resume and/or transcript will reflect the old school. Just my 2 cents.

+1

I was in a similar situation last year. You don't need to explain it or even bring it up in your cover letter. Simply put your 1L school on your resume with a notation to that effect and you'll be fine.

JLima2

Postby JLima2 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:34 pm

Some Cover Letters templates I have read for rising 2L transfers say to write something to this effect:

I am a rising 2L at [NEW SCHOOL] after transferring from [OLD SCHOOL], where I earned this GPA/RANK.

Obviously polish it out more, but I think it's a bad idea to act like to are a student of NEW SCHOOL when, for all intents and purposes, they have no damn idea who you area at the new school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:42 pm

Interested what others did as well

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:23 pm

ClarDarr wrote:
nmcdgt wrote:I would imagine you could just say I'm a rising 2L at <new school>. I'm sure your resume and/or transcript will reflect the old school. Just my 2 cents.

+1

I was in a similar situation last year. You don't need to explain it or even bring it up in your cover letter. Simply put your 1L school on your resume with a notation to that effect and you'll be fine.

This.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:28 pm

Jessuf wrote:
ClarDarr wrote:

+1

This.

Does the answer change at all if it is a cover letter for a mass mailing as opposed to one for OCI?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:30 pm

Jessuf wrote:
ClarDarr wrote:

+1

This.

Agreed. Did this last year and it worked fine. No need to mention transferring in the cover letter.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Jessuf wrote:
ClarDarr wrote:

+1

This.

Does the answer change at all if it is a cover letter for a mass mailing as opposed to one for OCI?

Nope. I've had no issues with this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:00 pm

Jessuf wrote:I was in a similar situation last year. You don't need to explain it or even bring it up in your cover letter. Simply put your 1L school on your resume with a notation to that effect and you'll be fine.

This works. Or, if you want to mention your first year experience, write:
I am a second-year law student at the [New] Law School and am writing to apply for a summer associate position at [law firm, LLP].
. . . .
During my first year at [Old] Law School, I made it a priority to [x, y, or z]. Further, at [summer job] I did [whatever].

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just decided to transfer to a T-10 school from a T-30. How do I mention this in cover letters? Do I say I am a rising 2L at xxxxx University (new school) and am interested in a summer association position at xxx firm. I attended xxxxx University for my first year of law school?

I'm just not sure the proper way to address this. Any help would be most appreciated.

I think you'll be ok as long as you don't call it a "summer association" position. Summer associate.

In any event, the cleanest way to include it, is probably to write: "I am a second year student at Thomas Jefferson School of Law, having transferred from Cooley Law School with a 4.0 GPA." That way you get it all in one sentence. I would have put the "I am writing to express interest in..." in the first sentence already.

Notice also how I stuck the GPA in there. If you have a great GPA, you'll want it front and center in your cover letter. Some guy from a recruiting agency once taught me that.

Return to “Legal Employment”