Time to start mass mailing? (with poll) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

When to start mass mailing?

ASAP
30%
Wait a week or so
13%
End of July
38%
August
20%

Total votes: 40

nmcdgt

Bronze

Time to start mass mailing? (with poll)

Post by nmcdgt » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:25 pm

Is now a good time to start mass mailing, or should I wait until closer to the end of July. Our early OCI interview preselects come out in about a week and a half, and the actual interviews are around August 6-9. Should I wait until closer to OCI or go ahead and start getting stuff out?

nmcdgt

Bronze

Re: Time to start mass mailing? (with poll)

Post by nmcdgt » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:57 pm

Oh and forgot to ask . . . is it acceptable to mass mail firms you didn't receive preselects from through early OCI, or have you already had your shot and it's a waste of time?

Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:09 pm

Curious about this as well.

nmcdgt

Bronze

Post by nmcdgt » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:21 pm

Bump. Also awesome avatar ^

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:54 pm

Before the summer programs end is a little soon (recruiting staff is still dealing with summers), but you want to get in front of OCI, when their spots start filling up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:10 pm

I was thinking last week of July to get them out. Maybe even the last day of July. Get the stuff ready and all set to go out.

Guessing e-mail is the favored way for this stuff, too (though TCR is obviously to check the firm's website).

Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:32 pm

TTRansfer wrote:I was thinking last week of July to get them out. Maybe even the last day of July. Get the stuff ready and all set to go out.

Guessing e-mail is the favored way for this stuff, too (though TCR is obviously to check the firm's website).
Is email the favored way, though? My CSO says to use US Mail (unless the firm notes otherwise) because an email might not be carefully read or opened at all...

I was planning on emailing, but my CSO put some doubt in my mind now...

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:34 pm

Judge Philip Banks wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:I was thinking last week of July to get them out. Maybe even the last day of July. Get the stuff ready and all set to go out.

Is email the favored way, though? My CSO says to use US Mail (unless the firm notes otherwise) because an email might not be carefully read or opened at all...

Biglaw wants emails.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:35 pm

End of July.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:01 am

Judge Philip Banks wrote:

I mailed a lot of firms, from Biglaw to small firms, and every single one wanted email. Do not listen to CSO.

Bar.red87

New

Post by Bar.red87 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:06 am

I am appling to some out of state firms where I have significant ties (family), and will be visiting the area the week of August 13th. Is it too early to mail now? Is maoling this early acceptable because I will be visiting at a specific time?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:14 am

romothesavior wrote:End of July.
TITCR.

Right now you should be reaching out to alums at firms in your area that you'd be interested in working for (whether the firms go to OCI or not), doing informational interviews, and doing practice interviews with practicing attorneys.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:35 am

nmcdgt wrote:Oh and forgot to ask . . . is it acceptable to mass mail firms you didn't receive preselects from through early OCI, or have you already had your shot and it's a waste of time?
You should certainly mail them. Firms only have a limited number of preselects, often this means they can't interview everyone they might want to interview.

And, fwiw - it costs you virtually nothing to apply, why wouldn't you mail every firm that you're interested in, even if they declined to give you a preselect?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bar.red87

New

Post by Bar.red87 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:49 am

Any answer for my situation? Still just wait until late July? That would seem a little rushed if I would be interviewing early August..

orderofthings

New

Post by orderofthings » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:55 am

Bar.red87 wrote:Any answer for my situation? Still just wait until late July? That would seem a little rushed if I would be interviewing early August..
I'm in a similar situation to you I think. I'm in the secondary market I will be targeting by mass mail until the end of July. This secondary market isn't sending many firms to my OCI so I'm going to mail all the big firms here soon explaining that I'm in the area until the end of July if they're interested in having me come by. Although it's early I feel like if I waited until closer to the end of the month there wouldn't be enough turn around to have them schedule an interview for me to come by. I think whether you mail or not is going to be dictated by your personal circumstances.

byronmullens

New

Post by byronmullens » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:00 am

Bar.red87 wrote:Any answer for my situation? Still just wait until late July? That would seem a little rushed if I would be interviewing early August..
Why wait, If you are going to a market give them time to set up interviews. It might take weeks. I sent to applications to all firms in my hometown market and have already been offered interviews while I am still home for the summer. I don't understand the logic in waiting, if you will only be there for a specific period. If you can save a firm money by being in town a firm is more likely to offer an interview and thus you get in front of more lawyers and your odds of an offer increase. From my experience send right now if you have all of your materials polished and ready to go.

nmcdgt

Bronze

Post by nmcdgt » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:09 pm

keg411 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:End of July.
TITCR.

Right now you should be reaching out to alums at firms in your area that you'd be interested in working for (whether the firms go to OCI or not), doing informational interviews, and doing practice interviews with practicing attorneys.
Are undergrad alums worth the effort or stick to law school alums?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”