GULC, bottom 1/3, languages. Worth it to bid int'l BigLaw?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273498
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: GULC, bottom 1/3, languages. Worth it to bid int'l BigLaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:38 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Offers from Shanghai, Beijing & Hong Kong would require fluency in two dialects ( Mandarin & Cantonese).

Agree that Portuguese will get offers in Brazil with US firms.


False. You don't need cantonese. As someone who only speaks Mandarin, I got multiple offers for HK and Shanghai. I also know plenty of plain white people who speak no Mandarin at all, SA-ed in HK and are now returning full-time.

User avatar
ThreeYears
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:26 pm

Re: GULC, bottom 1/3, languages. Worth it to bid int'l BigLaw?

Postby ThreeYears » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Offers from Shanghai, Beijing & Hong Kong would require fluency in two dialects ( Mandarin & Cantonese).

Agree that Portuguese will get offers in Brazil with US firms.


False. You don't need cantonese. As someone who only speaks Mandarin, I got multiple offers for HK and Shanghai. I also know plenty of plain white people who speak no Mandarin at all, SA-ed in HK and are now returning full-time.


How did you get offers from Shanghai?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273498
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: GULC, bottom 1/3, languages. Worth it to bid int'l BigLaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:GULC rising 2L here. Anyone know what the situation is for international firms? I hear London is prestige-whorey, but Asia is easier.

I have a ton of international experience, as well as fluency in 2 marketable foreign languages, including Chinese. I also have shitty grades (just above bottom 1/3 of the class).

Should I bid on prestige firms that have international offices? Or would that be a waste? Should I mass mail them instead? Which markets would be easiest?

Thanks in advance.


How can you possibly know that you're in the bottom third?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273498
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: GULC, bottom 1/3, languages. Worth it to bid int'l BigLaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:10 am

ThreeYears wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Offers from Shanghai, Beijing & Hong Kong would require fluency in two dialects ( Mandarin & Cantonese).

Agree that Portuguese will get offers in Brazil with US firms.


False. You don't need cantonese. As someone who only speaks Mandarin, I got multiple offers for HK and Shanghai. I also know plenty of plain white people who speak no Mandarin at all, SA-ed in HK and are now returning full-time.


How did you get offers from Shanghai?


A lot of firms have Shanghai offices. when I got offers, I was given the choice of Shanghai/Beijing/HK.

User avatar
ThreeYears
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:26 pm

Re: GULC, bottom 1/3, languages. Worth it to bid int'l BigLaw?

Postby ThreeYears » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
ThreeYears wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Offers from Shanghai, Beijing & Hong Kong would require fluency in two dialects ( Mandarin & Cantonese).

Agree that Portuguese will get offers in Brazil with US firms.


False. You don't need cantonese. As someone who only speaks Mandarin, I got multiple offers for HK and Shanghai. I also know plenty of plain white people who speak no Mandarin at all, SA-ed in HK and are now returning full-time.


How did you get offers from Shanghai?


A lot of firms have Shanghai offices. when I got offers, I was given the choice of Shanghai/Beijing/HK.


Thanks. So you bid US offices during OCI?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273498
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: GULC, bottom 1/3, languages. Worth it to bid int'l BigLaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:46 am

this is probably not the proper forum but I could not find a proper one yet. anyhow some of you may know the answer.

suppose I got hired as a registered foreign attorney in Hong Kong. The HK law society says I can practice the law of the jurisdiction in which I was admitted "or a third jurisdiction" in which I was not admitted as long as I do not violate a code of conduct.

does it mean that a foreign attorney can practice almost any law except HK law? e.g. UK/EU ...

rosemerry
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 12:24 pm

Re: GULC, bottom 1/3, languages. Worth it to bid int'l BigLaw?

Postby rosemerry » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:53 pm

can someone enlighten me and pm if need to?

i'm hearing contradictory sounds everywhere ranging from easy as shit to get into biglaw asian hk offices (because of lack of chinese speeaking JD folks) to hard as shit as evident by the rejections dished out by skadden hk.

assuming u're t10 with median grades, how does it look for ppl gunning for hk/sg?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.