Penn Journals

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Penn Journals

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:22 pm

is notification via telephone only? and is it generally that results for LR come out during the weekend? (which would make some sense i guess if notification was telephone only...)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:32 pm

I'm pretty sure it's not a hard and fast rule that LR only calls on weekends. I asked a relatively recent board member, and he said that his year LR definitely called during the week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:03 pm

So they'd probably call at night if during the week, right? Since the board has jobs?

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:53 pm

Is anyone writing anything re: journals when they send out resumes and things to firms for mass mailing? Something like a "journal placement to be determined" or just nothing at all?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:55 pm

PennBull wrote:Is anyone writing anything re: journals when they send out resumes and things to firms for mass mailing? Something like a "journal placement to be determined" or just nothing at all?

I put TBD on one of the online applications

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:57 pm

r6_philly wrote:
PennBull wrote:Is anyone writing anything re: journals when they send out resumes and things to firms for mass mailing? Something like a "journal placement to be determined" or just nothing at all?

I put TBD on one of the online applications

Did they have a line for it specifically where you had to answer? Or you sent an attachment of your resume with TBD written on it?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:00 pm

PennBull wrote:
Did they have a line for it specifically where you had to answer? Or you sent an attachment of your resume with TBD written on it?

It was a specific question in the app process. I think it is pretty standard in all the online app systems. I didn't just want to leave it blank so I put it in.

I suppose you can always add a line to the bottom of a cover letter as well, if you think journal membership is expected.

I am just hoping that I hear about law review this week so I can update my resume and take it to interviews next week.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:08 pm

r6_philly wrote:
PennBull wrote:

It was a specific question in the app process. I think it is pretty standard in all the online app systems. I didn't just want to leave it blank so I put it in.

I suppose you can always add a line to the bottom of a cover letter as well, if you think journal membership is expected.

I am just hoping that I hear about law review this week so I can update my resume and take it to interviews next week.

Well we'll definitely have it by an appropriate time. Law professors might not see a sense of urgency with grades (understandably), but I don't think 3Ls are going to screw something like this up.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:09 pm

PennBull wrote:Well we'll definitely have it by an appropriate time. Law professors might not see a sense of urgency with grades (understandably), but I don't think 3Ls are going to screw something like this up.

Let's hope!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:25 pm

Do I understand this right, as of 7/25 4PM, there has been no notification of LR or Journals? I ask because a friend said she did not make LR.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Yes. No one has heard as of 7/25, 4 PM.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do I understand this right, as of 7/25 4PM, there has been no notification of LR or Journals? I ask because a friend said she did not make LR.

How does she know? As far as I know they don't call you to tell you that you didn't make it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:15 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do I understand this right, as of 7/25 4PM, there has been no notification of LR or Journals? I ask because a friend said she did not make LR.

How does she know? As far as I know they don't call you to tell you that you didn't make it.

I suppose if your grades are decidedly on the low side, you can be pretty sure you're not making it. On that note, any guesses to what the grade-on cutoff is? I've been hearing estimates ranging from 3.6-3.8. I'd assume that a non-negligible number of people who are at the top GPA-wise either write-on or don't make the top half of the writing comp.

Also, what does it take to get to get into the pool of 50 where they read your personal statement?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I suppose if your grades are decidedly on the low side, you can be pretty sure you're not making it. On that note, any guesses to what the grade-on cutoff is? I've been hearing estimates ranging from 3.6-3.8. I'd assume that a non-negligible number of people who are at the top GPA-wise either write-on or don't make the top half of the writing comp.

Also, what does it take to get to get into the pool of 50 where they read your personal statement?

I believe grade-on is around top 10% (22 spots out of 200-250 people; some of whom don't do writing competition or rank LR first). Where top 10% lies I'm unsure about.

Conversely, do we actually know where bottom 1/3 starts such that someone would be completely precluded from LR before anything else is evalulated? 3.2? 3.1?

As for the pool of 50, I know it's a combination of grades and writing score, so I assume its probably a mix of people who just barely missed grade-on or write-on. I assume in this case, it's possible for someone with top grades who scored in the bottom 50% to be selected, but rare/far less possible for someone with a top writing score with grades in the bottom 1/3 (just by virtue of bottom 1/3 versus bottom 1/2).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:31 pm

Did anyone hear of anyone finishing the edit? Like all 15 pages?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone hear of anyone finishing the edit? Like all 15 pages?

I know of a couple. I only got through about nine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:05 pm

Whaaaat finishing seemed impossible. Unless they just kind of breezed through the last few pages?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone hear of anyone finishing the edit? Like all 15 pages?

I feel like if you got through the whole thing you just couldn't have been doing it right. I did around 11-12, I think.

I felt like going through the sources to write good parentheticals (which apparently are worth the most points) was far more time-consuming than looking stuff up in the Bluebook. No matter how much you prepared, I doubt there's much one could do to really have quick facility with the sources. After reading through the Bluebook once, the index was only really necessary for the more bizarre citations. It seemed like a good number of folks were moving pretty quickly through the edit, but didn't have that much red ink on paper, perhaps skipping the more difficult citations and parentheticals.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I feel like if you got through the whole thing you just couldn't have been doing it right. I did around 11-12, I think.

I felt like going through the sources to write good parentheticals (which apparently are worth the most points) was far more time-consuming than looking stuff up in the Bluebook. No matter how much you prepared, I doubt there's much one could do to really have quick facility with the sources. After reading through the Bluebook once, the index was only really necessary for the more bizarre citations. It seemed like a good number of folks were moving pretty quickly through the edit, but didn't have that much red ink on paper, perhaps skipping the more difficult citations and parentheticals.

I think it was definitely possible to finish, without having lackluster parentheticals. I don't think people should make assumptions that you did a poor job in finishing the 15 pages.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:54 pm

I suppose, although it would be a pretty impressive feat to finish given how dense those edit pages were. Even doing 10 pages really well is no small accomplishment.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:32 pm

r6_philly wrote:

As I understand it, she believed they contacted those who made LR but she had the wrong LR decision date.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:22 am

PennBull wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
PennBull wrote:

Well we'll definitely have it by an appropriate time. Law professors might not see a sense of urgency with grades (understandably), but I don't think 3Ls are going to screw something like this up.

i think they already did...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:33 am

Just got the call for JBL. We get a week to accept.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just got the call for JBL. We get a week to accept.

So does this mean that LR calls DID go out already and that nobody on this forum knew about it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got the call for JBL. We get a week to accept.

So does this mean that LR calls DID go out already and that nobody on this forum knew about it?

Honestly, no idea. FWIW, my name's toward the top of the alphabet...

Return to “Legal Employment”