Penn Journals Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Penn Journals

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any news from JIL?
I was wondering the same thing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:01 pm

Cool. I'm going crazy now. Anyone hear anything from any journal?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:14 pm

I got super nervous and emailed Gary, I got JIL and have yet to get a call. Hope the info helps.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:07 pm

So the only journal people haven't heard back from is JIL?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:34 am

JIL sent out an email to those who were selected.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:16 pm

So all is done? Everybody happy?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:53 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:56 pm

For future 1Ls who are interested, it was definitely the case this year that you could write onto LR by completing less than 2/3 of the 15 page edit. Quality, not quantity seemed to matter.

Also, it seems like the mid-to-high 3.6 GPA range was sufficient to grade onto LR, provided you were in the top half of the writing competition.

Of course no one knows for sure how they got on LR, but there's a decent amount of anecdotal evidence suggesting this to be the case.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also, it seems like the mid-to-high 3.6 GPA range was sufficient to grade onto LR, provided you were in the top half of the writing competition.
I.e., you have no real evidence and are just speculating because that's just what people to do to make sense of situations such as these.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Also, it seems like the mid-to-high 3.6 GPA range was sufficient to grade onto LR, provided you were in the top half of the writing competition.
I.e., you have no real evidence and are just speculating because that's just what people to do to make sense of situations such as these.
Well, the anecdotal evidence I speak of is the fact that my grades, along with those of 4 others that I know of that also made LR, were within this range. Sure, we could have all written on/"PS'd on", but I find it unlikely that there wasn't a single grade-on among the five of us. I could certainly be wrong, and it's possible that my circle of friends really just has exceptional facility with the Bluebook.

Just trying to be helpful, since I found little information on this topic when I was searching for it.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Well, the anecdotal evidence I speak of is the fact that my grades, along with those of 4 others that I know of that also made LR, were within this range. Sure, we could have all written on/"PS'd on", but I find it unlikely that there wasn't a single grade-on among the five of us. I could certainly be wrong, and it's possible that my circle of friends really just has exceptional facility with the Bluebook.

Just trying to be helpful, since I found little information on this topic when I was searching for it.
Honestly, does it really matter at this point? Those of us who got law review got it. Those of us who didn't, didn't.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:53 am

Perhaps there is transparency on how admittance to LR works, I just do not know where to find it.

What you are saying makes antidotal sense ― top grades combined with top half writing [practically] secures LR admittance. Wouldn’t that scenario effectively preclude those with median grades and good writing to get a LR spot? I suppose one way to learn more is to ask if anyone here with median grades managed to write-on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Perhaps there is transparency on how admittance to LR works, I just do not know where to find it.

What you are saying makes antidotal sense ― top grades combined with top half writing [practically] secures LR admittance. Wouldn’t that scenario effectively preclude those with median grades and good writing to get a LR spot? I suppose one way to learn more is to ask if anyone here with median grades managed to write-on.
For posterity’s sake, here is how LR selects candidates (as per the committee’s 2012 selection criteria posted on the Goat):

There are 3 ways to be selected for LR. One way is to “write on,” another is to "grade on," and yet another has to do with one's personal statement. To "write on" you must have high scores on both your edit (which is worth 60% of your score) and your essay (which is worth 40% of your score) and you must be in the top 2/3 of the class. (Of course, it goes without saying, that you ranked LR #1 in your choice of journals.) I believe 22 candidates are selected based on their writing composite score.

The second way to be selected for LR is to "grade on." With "grade on" LR selects 22 individuals with the highest GPAs who also scored within the top 1/2 of the writing competition (meaning the Essay and Edit portion). I believe those who "write on" are taken out of the pool of candidates before LR selects the "grade ons." If that is the case, then it is possible that some with the highest GPAs merely wrote on, but would have been selected for the grade on as well.

The third way one may be selected for LR is based on his or her personal statement. Eleven folks are selected this way. The LR committee takes the top 50 candidates whose combined GPA and writing composite scores are the highest. GPA and writing scores are weighed evenly (50/50). After the 50 have been selected then the LR committee looks at the personal statements and selects 11 individuals based on the content of the PS.

As for whether the candidate knows exactly how he or she was selected, I suppose it would be difficult to discern without asking someone who was involved in the selection committee.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:The third way one may be selected for LR is based on his or her personal statement. Eleven folks are selected this way. The LR committee takes the top 50 candidates whose combined GPA and writing composite scores are the highest. GPA and writing scores are weighed evenly (50/50). After the 50 have been selected then the LR committee looks at the personal statements and selects 11 individuals based on the content of the PS
This is out of pure curiosity, but who is on the "LR committee"? I can't remember if they specified this like they did with who would be grading the other portions. Do all LR members read the personal statements to decide which ones to choose? Or is it just the board members? Just curious about how many people potentially read my personal statement, as it was pretty personal. Although I realize it's still anonymous

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For posterity’s sake, here is how LR selects candidates (as per the committee’s 2012 selection criteria posted on the Goat): . . . .
Very enlightening. Not knowing how an estimated 3.4 GPA would figure into my LR chances I presumed I needed to be one of the top 25 write-ons. My guess was that a few people grading-on also aced the writing portion, thus freeing up a couple of spots.

EDIT: Did anyone ever figure out the GPA ranges for top 25%, 50% 75% (or in thirds, whatever works). Or top 10% (which I heard might be difficult to determine).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For posterity’s sake, here is how LR selects candidates (as per the committee’s 2012 selection criteria posted on the Goat): . . . .
Very enlightening. Not knowing how an estimated 3.4 GPA would figure into my LR chances I presumed I needed to be one of the top 25 write-ons. My guess was that a few people grading-on also aced the writing portion, thus freeing up a couple of spots.

EDIT: Did anyone ever figure out the GPA ranges for top 25%, 50% 75% (or in thirds, whatever works). Or top 10% (which I heard might be difficult to determine).
Also, I think the grade-on cutoff is lower than one might expect because, in addition to students with top grades who end up writing on, there are definitely at least a handful of people with top GPAs who don't end up in the top half of the writing competition, thus pushing the minimum grade-on GPA lower.

ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Post by ajaxconstructions » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:24 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Honestly, does it really matter at this point? Those of us who got law review got it. Those of us who didn't, didn't.
Sorry you didn't get LR

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Sorry you didn't get LR
I dare you to post this under your own username.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:56 pm

Sorry you didn't get HYS

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sorry you didn't get HYS
This is not any better.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:03 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sorry you didn't get HYS
This is not any better.
Just a taste of his own medicine.

I didn't go to HYS either lol

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:28 pm

Last edited by HeavenWood on Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:30 pm

A lot of egregious misuse of the anonymous function in this thread I see.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:50 pm

dpk711 wrote:A lot of egregious misuse of the anonymous function in this thread I see.
A report would have been appreciated. PSA:

1. Anon is not to make fun of other posters.
2. Anon is also not to criticize others for anonabuse (even if it is deserved and done in a funny manner).

Now everyone get back on topic.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:40 pm

Can someone post the name and/or e-mail of the JBL EIC? I'm not sure I wrote it down correctly. Thanks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”