Penn Journals Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
r6_philly

Diamond

Re: Penn Journals

Post by r6_philly » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can someone post the name and/or e-mail of the JBL EIC? I'm not sure I wrote it down correctly. Thanks.
It's on the writing competition memo that we all got. The memo is still on the writing competition page as well.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can someone post the name and/or e-mail of the JBL EIC? I'm not sure I wrote it down correctly. Thanks.
twoan@law.upenn.edu.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:50 pm

PennBull wrote:
twoan@law.upenn.edu.
r6_philly wrote:
It's on the writing competition memo that we all got. The memo is still on the writing competition page as well.
Thank you both!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:04 pm

What happened to section 3? Hardly any made LR...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What happened to section 3? Hardly any made LR...
That is weird since section 3 was said to be the "brightest section." There goes that myth. Is there an explanation that could have possibly involved the section 3 curve?

PS – Not seen much activity on any of the P threads lately.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
That is weird since section 3 was said to be the "brightest section." There goes that myth. Is there an explanation that could have possibly involved the section 3 curve?

Since when was Section 3 called the brightest section?

WhirledWorld

Bronze

Post by WhirledWorld » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I thought we were the slacker section...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:06 pm

WhirledWorld wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

During the second or third week I had heard the characteristics applied to each section. Best memory (which is shoddy), there was party, slacker and smart. All I recall is the 3 were the smart ones (LR wrecked that theory), which is not where I wanted to be!

Anybody recall the section designations, either past or current?

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
WhirledWorld wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

During the second or third week I had heard the characteristics applied to each section. Best memory (which is shoddy), there was party, slacker and smart. All I recall is the 3 were the smart ones (LR wrecked that theory), which is not where I wanted to be!

Anybody recall the section designations, either past or current?
Pretty sure section 3 was the party section. I think it was evident when the big game of flip cup at the post-finals celebration 1st semester was pretty much exclusively section 3.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:15 pm

PennBull wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Pretty sure section 3 was the party section. I think it was evident when the big game of flip cup at the post-finals celebration 1st semester was pretty much exclusively section 3.
I remember that! Curious, what were Sections 1 and 2 known as? My guess is 2 were the brainiacs.

WhirledWorld

Bronze

Post by WhirledWorld » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
PennBull wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Pretty sure section 3 was the party section. I think it was evident when the big game of flip cup at the post-finals celebration 1st semester was pretty much exclusively section 3.
I remember that! Curious, what were Sections 1 and 2 known as? My guess is 2 were the brainiacs.
How does Section 3 not getting onto LR even make sense? If it's grades based, then shouldn't a third of each section get on? The only explanation I can think of is that section 3 really bombed the write-on or that section 3's grades were clumped in the middle, comparatively.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:59 pm

WhirledWorld wrote:How does Section 3 not getting onto LR even make sense? If it's grades based, then shouldn't a third of each section get on? The only explanation I can think of is that section 3 really bombed the write-on or that section 3's grades were clumped in the middle, comparatively.
Another reason to loath the curve.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:03 pm

WhirledWorld wrote:How does Section 3 not getting onto LR even make sense? If it's grades based, then shouldn't a third of each section get on? The only explanation I can think of is that section 3 really bombed the write-on or that section 3's grades were clumped in the middle, comparatively.
The way I saw it, lets say 21 make LR from grades. Let's say 1/3 are section 3 based on grades, so that's 7 students. Of the remaining 30 or so spots, that means like 4 made it (11 made it from sec. 3 right?) from write-on or the discretionary spots.

Four. Give or take a couple, and it's still absurd.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That is weird since section 3 was said to be the "brightest section." There goes that myth. Is there an explanation that could have possibly involved the section 3 curve?
I never heard about section classifications but I did hear that some in the main office referred to the entire incoming class as being the most uptight ever (I am using a kinder gentler definition to what they suggested, plus I don’t have a synonym for anal). I think there was a thread on it, some believed it was because of the economy.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:That is weird since section 3 was said to be the "brightest section." There goes that myth. Is there an explanation that could have possibly involved the section 3 curve?
I never heard about section classifications but I did hear that some in the main office referred to the entire incoming class as being the most uptight ever (I am using a kinder gentler definition to what they suggested, plus I don’t have a synonym for anal). I think there was a thread on it, some believed it was because of the economy.
This entire thread is good evidence of it.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:20 pm

I've also heard that our section was the "bright section" laden with a lot of silent gunners. What I can say though is that I know a lot of us (some whom I know did well) half-assed the writing competition, myself included lol.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:30 pm

Section 1 really cleaned up for LR. I think there were at least 22 who made it. Also, is it just me, or is LR rather male-heavy this year?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Section 1 really cleaned up for LR. I think there were at least 22 who made it. Also, is it just me, or is LR rather male-heavy this year?
It was even more male-heavy last year, only 1/3 female. And I thought section 1 was historically the "smart" section (and by smart I mean outwardly nerdy/gunner). Thought 3 was party, and 2 in the middle

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:26 am

I heard today that there were only 5 A’s in section 3. Is that even possible? Could this be a factor on why only 5 people from sec 3 made LR. What was up with the second semester professors? Anyone from section 3 have an opinion?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:I heard today that there were only 5 A’s in section 3. Is that even possible? Could this be a factor on why only 5 people from sec 3 made LR. What was up with the second semester professors? Anyone from section 3 have an opinion?
I'm not even sure what that means. At least in the fall, the grade distributions were basically the same as the other sections. Not sure if spring distributions are out, but it shouldn't make a difference, since 2 classes were curved electives mixed with other sections, and 2 were on the regular 1L curve.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I heard today that there were only 5 A’s in section 3. Is that even possible? Could this be a factor on why only 5 people from sec 3 made LR. What was up with the second semester professors? Anyone from section 3 have an opinion?
At least in the fall, the grade distributions were basically the same as the other sections. Not sure if spring distributions are out. . . .
I think the spring distributions will be turn out to be very surprising. Would love to know. . .

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:02 am

More than 5 people from section 3 made LR.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”