HOW SCREWED??

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

HOW SCREWED??

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:43 pm

Firm reception tonight. Talking to a woman.

Me: Oh so are you an associate here?

Her: Actually, I'm the hiring partner.....

Me: Nervous stuttering, i'm so sorry. Basically indicating I know nothing and had not done any research.

How bad?

Myself

Postby Myself » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:48 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dixiecupdrinking

Re: HOW SCREWED??

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:49 pm

You'll never work in this town again.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:50 pm

If it is a big firm you can hope that she won't remember this interchange by the time callbacks roll around. I would imagine that you were not the only awkward law student to say something dumb during that firm event. If you say something really bad showing lack of professionalism then the partner may make a note to ding your application. Based on what you've shared this doesn't seem that bad in my opinion.

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:53 pm

You should have followed up with "No way, you look way too young to be the hiring partner"

8)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:54 pm

ajax adonis wrote:Need more than that. Was it awkward from there on out? Did she even get your name? If you didn't exchange contact information, I doubt that she'll remember you.

She looked closely at my ID card and said my name followed by "i'll be sure to remember you." Conversation seemed great from there on out but couldn't get over how stupid I felt.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:55 pm

thegrayman wrote:You should have followed up with "No way, you look way too young to be the hiring partner"

8)

HAHA this actually flashed quickly through my mind but I suppressed it thankfully....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:Need more than that. Was it awkward from there on out? Did she even get your name? If you didn't exchange contact information, I doubt that she'll remember you.

She looked closely at my ID card and said my name followed by "i'll be sure to remember you." Conversation seemed great from there on out but couldn't get over how stupid I felt.

This sounds bad. It makes you look like you didn't prep/do your research.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Meh, it wasn't an interview, it was a firm reception designed to introduce you to the firm and what they do. If it were a screener interview that would be one thing, but you are there to learn about the firm so they aren't assuming that you have too much info at this point. So long as you didn't stutter awkwardly for too long or your reaction didn't express surprise that the hiring partner was a woman or something you should be fine. Also, she probably won't remember you at all.

Postby 123321 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I disagree. I doubt this will be a game changer. These things happen, especially during a summer long schmooze-fest where summers try anxiously to make casual conversation with everyone in sight at every single event. If the rest of the conversation was fine, I wouldn't worry. You won't be dinged despite good reviews and positive feedback about your personality from many others for not recognizing the hiring partner.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:31 pm

Unless you nailed her in a broom closet (or a similar confined space), this was an unmitigated disaster and I strongly suggest you look for work in an entirely different geographic location.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What is this I don't even....

No one expects you to have researched the name of the hiring partner. Pretty sure she'll take your comment as a compliment.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:59 am

reasonable_man wrote:Unless you nailed her in a broom closet (or a similar confined space), this was an unmitigated disaster and I strongly suggest you look for work in an entirely different geographic location.

reasonable advice from a reasonable man.

i think OP should just save face and drop out.

Myself

Postby Myself » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:59 am

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:10 am

If it were me, I would take this as a compliment. It makes it seem like you thought she was a few years younger than she actually is. If I were this woman, it would've made me smile on the inside. So long as you were polite and didn't come across as sexist, I don't see what's wrong with this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:58 am

I personally think she won't hold it against you because it's sometimes hard to recognize people in real life. A lot of times, people don't look like how they do in their photos. If you were trying hard to be social, I know I wouldn't hold it against you. At least you made an attempt to go to the event, unlike other students (e.g. me).

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:04 am

Believe me: No one cares.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:04 am

My firm had a reception last night, and one of the hiring partners actually is young, so don't worry about it. The reception was for you to learn about the firm, not to impress people with how much you already knew. From your conversation with the hiring partner, you should now know how to answer the "why this firm" and similar questions that you're going to get at OCI. It doesn't particularly matter if they remember you or not.

I say this as a current SA that was part of recruiting for one of these receptions last night.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:24 am

Oh my! You met someone new and had a few seconds of awkward exchange? I hope you enjoy unemployment.

/sarcasm

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:30 am

hmm, it depends. did you send thank you flowers? if you sent thank you flowers then you're probably okay. if not, send them now. it's not too late.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:30 am

AreJay711 wrote:Oh my! You met someone new and had a few seconds of awkward exchange? I hope you enjoy unemployment.

/sarcasm

OP here. Thanks for the responses made me feel better seeing that apparently I am being silly.

formerbiglawpartner

Postby formerbiglawpartner » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:45 am

Trust me. She'd be flattered. Moreover, one expects the summer associates to be nervous.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:52 am

formerbiglawpartner wrote:Trust me. She'd be flattered. Moreover, one expects the summer associates to be nervous.

I would be flattered if it were me. I was just nervous my lack of research/knowledge would not be a good thing.

Return to “Legal Employment”