Personalized stationery

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
piccolittle

Personalized stationery

Postby piccolittle » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:02 pm

So I was looking into getting some personalized stationery for sending thank yous after interviews etc. I know conventional wisdom is to send an email thank you during recruiting, which I have definitely done, but I like to send handwritten ones after someone has taken the time to do an informational interview or otherwise has gone out of their way to help me.

Is it douchey to send a nice card that has my name printed on the front instead of "thank you"? I keep thinking that having personalized stationery is a generally good investment (and also clearly lays out who actually sent the card in case they can't read my signature etc), but I also don't want the person I'm thanking to think I'm self-obsessed. I feel as though having a bunch of cards that say "thank you" might limit their use, but honestly, what else would I be handwriting a notecard about? Congratulations? Holiday greetings? Just to say hello and make myself feel like I'm actually using the ridiculous stationery I ordered myself?

Any thoughts/mockery/serious input would be appreciated.

eandy

Re: Personalized stationery

Postby eandy » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:05 pm

I have monogrammed stationary. I'd feel ridiculous having my whole name on it, though.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:08 pm

These are the cards of thinking of (that's not my name): http://www.finestationery.com/prod_View ... tomize=yes

Tacky? Nice? "Thank you" is still better than the name?

eandy

Postby eandy » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:09 pm

I hate that. It feels awkward

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:21 pm

Is this a thing? Seems weird to me.

barestin

Postby barestin » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:30 pm

Why not just mail a letter?

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:36 pm

Do people not write cards anymore? I ended up just deciding to send generic thank you notecards, if at all. I just find it's a nice/appreciated thing to do when, say, a partner has taken the time out of her busy day to give an info interview etc.

eandy

Postby eandy » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:38 pm

piccolittle wrote:Do people not write cards anymore? I ended up just deciding to send generic thank you notecards, if at all. I just find it's a nice/appreciated thing to do when, say, a partner has taken the time out of her busy day to give an info interview etc.

Cards are great. They're also fantastic for when parents of a friend/SO make or buy you dinner or something like that.

Return to “Legal Employment”