Writing Sample Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
canosodaooo

Writing Sample Question

Postby canosodaooo » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:24 pm

Half way done with my summer job and haven't really had a chance to get a good writing sample. I do have somethings I could use, but overall everything I've done has been rushed and not heavily edited.

I am wondering if it is looked down upon to use a brief/ memo from 1L writing classes at OCI. I got a a very good grade on my brief and don't think I could get a better writing sample since it is as close to perfect as I think I can get a writing sample. Has a potential employer ever asked for a writing sample specifically from a job? I am wondering if I should just get something just in case. Or should I throw out the idea of using a brief from class?

canosodaooo

Re: Writing Sample Question

Postby canosodaooo » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:28 pm

Anybody have any advice on this?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:34 pm

I am using my appellate brief. A wise professor of mine said that using an appellate brief is proper for most employers.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:37 pm

I think the right answer is to use your best, most polished work, whether it's from a class or your 1L internship. I'm using my brief from LRW.

tmgarvey

Postby tmgarvey » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:45 am

If your brief from class represents your best work, by all means use it. Very few law students are going to be preparing finished products for submission to court in a summer job. Your goal is to show that you can write. Whatever displays that to your best advantage is what you should submit as a writing sample.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:48 am

I was considering using a memo I wrote for journal applications. Thoughts?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:I was considering using a memo I wrote for journal applications. Thoughts?

You submit a memo for journal applications?

Most of the journals I've heard about require you write one on a predetermined topic.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:05 pm

kalvano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was considering using a memo I wrote for journal applications. Thoughts?

Most of the journals I've heard about require you write one on a predetermined topic.

Ya it was a predetermined topic and we were required to write a memo on the topic. It wasn't something I pulled from writing class and submitted. Just generally, would something written specifically for a journal application, assuming it was quality work, be an apporpiate writing sample to send to a firm?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Ya it was a predetermined topic and we were required to write a memo on the topic. It wasn't something I pulled from writing class and submitted. Just generally, would something written specifically for a journal application, assuming it was quality work, be an apporpiate writing sample to send to a firm?

Sure. I don't think it matters where it comes from, as long as it is quality work.

Return to “Legal Employment”