Drug Testing / State Gov. Drug Testing Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Drug Testing / State Gov. Drug Testing

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:56 pm

Sorry to post anonymously, I just made a new user name and on second thought, realized that because it contains my first name it might not be the best to use it.

Anyone that worked at this office or other State's AG's Office have any info that can help me?

I would stop about 2 weeks before (I run almost every day, so I have little fat and for past drug tests this has worked), but obviously the more I can avoid interrupting enjoyable daily activities, the better, so I'm trying to time cessation as close as I can.

Also, please no comments about "why risk it?", "pot is bad", etc. That is for a different discussion. Here I would like INFORMATION on state agency drug testing policies, and the more specific to my situation, the better, so that I can have a better plan than just not smoking for an extended period of time.

Thanks in advance :)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dowu

Platinum

Re: Mass. AG's Office + Drug Testing / State Gov. Drug Testing

Post by dowu » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry to post anonymously, I just made a new user name and on second thought, realized that because it contains my first name it might not be the best to use it.

Anyone that worked at this office or other State's AG's Office have any info that can help me?

I'm going to stop about 2 weeks before (I run almost every day, so I have little fat and for past drug tests this has worked), but obviously the more I can avoid interrupting enjoyable daily activities, the better, so I'm trying to time cessation as close as I can.

Also, please no comments about "why risk it?", "pot is bad", etc. That is for a different discussion. Here I would like INFORMATION on state agency drug testing policies, and the more specific to my situation, the better, so that I can have a better plan than just not smoking for an extended period of time.

You should stop well ahead of that just to be safe. Prepare as if you're going to be taking one; don't risk it by doing the contrary.

Good luck, chief! :mrgreen:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry to post anonymously, I just made a new user name and on second thought, realized that because it contains my first name it might not be the best to use it.

I'm going to stop about 2 weeks before (I run almost every day, so I have little fat and for past drug tests this has worked), but obviously the more I can avoid interrupting enjoyable daily activities, the better, so I'm trying to time cessation as close as I can.

Is this for a job job or a summer job? I am interning this summer with a state AG's office also in the northeast and I have not been drug tested.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:39 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:03 pm

Drug test for that office seems like a bit much. I'm at a JAG internship and we had to do mountains of paperwork for clearance. But not a drug test.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:06 pm

Does the hypocrisy of working for the AG and doing illegal drugs not bother you?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:59 pm

eandy wrote:Does the hypocrisy of working for the AG and doing illegal drugs not bother you?
I thought I was pretty explicit in saying that I didn't want to get into this kind of conversation, but I'll bite: the short answer is "no".

The long answer is (in part) "No because:

1. Marijuana is decriminalized in MA, so even assuming I considered marijuana to be worthy of being wholesale illegal, I would be about as concerned with any innate hypocrisy as I currently feel for my past speeding / parking tickets as I do for smoking marijuana in the past and present.

2. "One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws." - MLK; IMO there is no justification for marijuana to be "illegal" and the argument for it to be a fineable offense is fairly weak."
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Drug test for that office seems like a bit much. I'm at a JAG internship and we had to do mountains of paperwork for clearance. But not a drug test.
Thank you. This is helpful. :)

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:"One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws." - MLK; IMO there is no justification for marijuana to be "illegal" and the argument for it to be a fineable offense is fairly weak."
That's a very weak argument, I'm sure you can do better.

It doesn't apply here, but keep in mind that some government agencies perform hair tests, which can show months worth of usage history

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:17 pm

dingbat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:"One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws." - MLK; IMO there is no justification for marijuana to be "illegal" and the argument for it to be a fineable offense is fairly weak."
You have a better argument for when it is acceptable to break the law, especially as a future lawyer?

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dingbat wrote:
You have a better argument for when it is acceptable to break the law, especially as a future lawyer?
Saying there is no justification for a law is not the same as saying the law is unjust

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:26 pm

dingbat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
dingbat wrote:
Saying there is no justification for a law is not the same as saying the law is unjust
Fair enough. A more precise re-wording would be that there is no fair, secular, and "moral" justification for it to be illegal.

I am speaking from opinion and taking it for granted that marijuana is a benign plant, underserving of the severe regulation to which it is subjected. That's why I said that my answer was "in part" because I don't want to derail the thread into a policy discussion regarding legalization.

My assumption in this post (deliberately side-stepping the policy debate) is that marijuana is an acceptable substance for an adult to consume and that the current legal regime is inappropriate. Therefore, I am seeking information to aid me in navigating the current regime with that assumption in mind.

Any experience with an AG's office and drug testing in New England?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:53 pm

First, I'm surprised you have to do drug testing. I'm a summer intern in the Mass AG office, and we (at least in the civil division) did not have to do that. I won't hypothesize how long you need to be clean, but it's better to be safe than sorry (and also upfront).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:18 pm

dingbat wrote:

It doesn't apply here, but keep in mind that some government agencies perform hair tests, which can show months worth of usage history
High and tights are a beautiful fashion statement. I wear mine because I like the Marine Corps look but you have just come up with a reason for them to become trendy with a whole different crowd.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:First, I'm surprised you have to do drug testing. I'm a summer intern in the Mass AG office, and we (at least in the civil division) did not have to do that. I won't hypothesize how long you need to be clean, but it's better to be safe than sorry (and also upfront).
Thank you for this response! I was hoping I'd be able to get someone who is there now, so this is the best response.

As I said in the OP, I've passed tests before for various jobs, and I've done a fair amount of research on testing criteria and the body's process of eliminating the THC metabolite, so I've got a good idea on when is a good time to start the break, but what I lacked was credible information on the likelihood of a test but you have graciously helped me out. It's a bit annoying, but it's just part of the times we live in, and at least it's just a drug test and not something akin to a witch hunt or the inquisition or something hehe.

So thank you again sir/ma'am!

:)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:35 pm

I have worked for federal gov agency's and state DA offices in law school and was never tested. I would definitely try and be on the safe side and quit for 3 weeks beforehand. I did for 1.5 months, but that was because I like weed too much and i'm fat. The state that I was a Intern at the DA's office is notorious for drug testing according to friends because it is one where lots of shops have sprung up (i.e. Michigan/Colorado/Cali/ etc). I wouldn't worry too much but definitely be on the safe side and quit for 3 weeks - a month.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:54 am

Previous poster here at the AG's office. Just so you know, I didn't even have to do a blood test to be an intern with secret level security clearance at a federal agency. The clearance process at the AG's office is very easy. I was approved very quickly. They are more concerned about your criminal history and any conflicts of interest. But never lie to them. It can come back and haunt you and ruin your career.

And just so you know... Even though there are like 45 interns this summer, it is not as social as one might expect. People are separated off, and there hasn't been great turnout at events.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:06 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:10 am

As another person who works in a northeastern AG's office, I was never drug tested. Neither were any of the Deputy or Assistant AGs here or any other office member. I don't think there's too much to worry about but I would err on the side of safety anyways. Wait until at least your first week to start back up again.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:36 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:As another person who works in a northeastern AG's office, I was never drug tested. Neither were any of the Deputy or Assistant AGs here or any other office member. I don't think there's too much to worry about but I would err on the side of safety anyways. Wait until at least your first week to start back up again.
Does no one find it unethical to be using drugs while working for an AG's office?

I might not like drug laws, but I'm not a legislator - I get to follow laws, not create laws.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As another person who works in a northeastern AG's office, I was never drug tested. Neither were any of the Deputy or Assistant AGs here or any other office member. I don't think there's too much to worry about but I would err on the side of safety anyways. Wait until at least your first week to start back up again.
Does no one find it unethical to be using drugs while working for an AG's office?

I might not like drug laws, but I'm not a legislator - I get to follow laws, not create laws.
I agree. I am the Mass AG intern here. I will only say that they really expect interns to represent the state well both in the office and outside. They hold you to the same standards as attorneys. You are subject for example to a series of laws, like anti corruption laws. Professionalism goes a long ways.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
eandy wrote:Does the hypocrisy of working for the AG and doing illegal drugs not bother you?
I thought I was pretty explicit in saying that I didn't want to get into this kind of conversation, but I'll bite: the short answer is "no".

1. Marijuana is decriminalized in MA, so even assuming I considered marijuana to be worthy of being wholesale illegal, I would be about as concerned with any innate hypocrisy as I currently feel for my past speeding / parking tickets as I do for smoking marijuana in the past and present.

2. "One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws." - MLK; IMO there is no justification for marijuana to be "illegal" and the argument for it to be a fineable offense is fairly weak."
Are you really citing Martin Luther King, Jr. to claim that you have a moral responsibility to disobey drug laws? I suppose you are opposed to all mala prohibita laws?

I also find it quite surprising that people claim that marijuana is "benign". Is it more harmful than alcohol or tobacco? No, probably not. And its use, but certainly not its distribution, is less associated with violence than alcohol. But, it is certainly not a "benign" drug. It, like alcohol, is an intoxicant. Indeed, if it was "benign" and had no psychotropic effects, no one would use it.

Now, I certainly would not be opposed to federal decriminalization or federal legalization coupled with regulation. But, that is a matter for Congress and the President. Until that time, we still have a duty to obey a just law. Disagreeing with the underlying policy behind a law does not make it unjust. I certainly hope that your 1-2 years of law school has taught you that much.

WearyCartographer

New

Post by WearyCartographer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:14 am

Odds that someone in the MA AG's office sees this post and decides it would be a good idea to drug test all of the incoming fall interns? ;)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Are you really citing Martin Luther King, Jr. to claim that you have a moral responsibility to disobey drug laws? I suppose you are opposed to all mala prohibita laws?

I also find it quite surprising that people claim that marijuana is "benign". Is it more harmful than alcohol or tobacco? No, probably not. And its use, but certainly not its distribution, is less associated with violence than alcohol. But, it is certainly not a "benign" drug. It, like alcohol, is an intoxicant. Indeed, if it was "benign" and had no psychotropic effects, no one would use it.

Now, I certainly would not be opposed to federal decriminalization or federal legalization coupled with regulation. But, that is a matter for Congress and the President. Until that time, we still have a duty to obey a just law. Disagreeing with the underlying policy behind a law does not make it unjust. I certainly hope that your 1-2 years of law school has taught you that much.
This is why I hate law students. Also, 2 years of law school has taught me that I hate law students and law school. We have a duty to question Congress, not obey them and their millionaire, groveling lobbyist butt-kissing asses.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”