NJ Clerkships...What to Include When Applying

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NJ Clerkships...What to Include When Applying

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:39 pm

What exaclty needs to be included when applying for NJ clerkships...nothing on the federal level...but rather State/Superior Court. Is it just resume, cover letter, and writing sample? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: NJ Clerkships...What to Include When Applying

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:56 pm

Yes. At some point you'll get a list of judges and what each requires. Some will ask for writing sample and/or unofficial transcript, others won't until the interview stage. None of the trial court judges, as far as I could see when I applied, required letters of recommendation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:10 pm

I am interested as well. As far as I could see the state website did not have any information. Do you have the link?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yes. At some point you'll get a list of judges and what each requires. Some will ask for writing sample and/or unofficial transcript, others won't until the interview stage. None of the trial court judges, as far as I could see when I applied, required letters of recommendation.

I didn't realize there was a list of what the judges require...could you elaborate on this more? Would this be posted on the NJ judiciary website or something?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yes. At some point you'll get a list of judges and what each requires. Some will ask for writing sample and/or unofficial transcript, others won't until the interview stage. None of the trial court judges, as far as I could see when I applied, required letters of recommendation.

I didn't realize there was a list of what the judges require...could you elaborate on this more? Would this be posted on the NJ judiciary website or something?

I don't know. My school's (NYU) CSO sent it out around winter break. Sorry, wish I could be more helpful.

The website should have a lot more info by early fall.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I don't know. My school's (NYU) CSO sent it out around winter break. Sorry, wish I could be more helpful.

The website should have a lot more info by early fall.

I realize this makes it sound like my statements were useless to anyone not at NYU.

I think that NYU's document was from information put up on the NJ judiciary website. The only added information was that NYU removed judges who by that point in the year were no longer hiring.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:23 pm

Search for the Vermont Law School state clerkship guide, it has all the relevant information.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:03 pm

About when were you guys thinking of sending your applications? Do you think you need LR to get an appellate position?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:About when were you guys thinking of sending your applications? Do you think you need LR to get an appellate position?

I don't know about intermediate appellate, but pretty much everyone I know who got Supreme was top 5% + LR (mostly from a Rutgers/SHU, but even the people from say Fordham had those types of credentials).

Return to “Legal Employment”