C&B New York

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

C&B New York

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:53 am

I know C&B is DC elite, but what's the NY office like and what type of work? What's SA selectivity like there from Columbia, I know they gave out 14 offers, but had no accepted offers (suggesting that they took really high honors students who had other options, or something about C&B NY which students didn't like).

Anonymous User

Re: C&B New York

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:56 pm

bump

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:01 pm

Might want to expand out the firm name in the title to get more responses. :) You mean Covington, right? All I've ever heard is how selective/prestigious they are.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:27 pm

CLS Grad here. I now a couple people who summered there (and/or had offers to), I would say Stone Scholar puts you in the running.

bravos89

Postby bravos89 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:38 pm

Does anyone how the NY office of Covington is in terms of corporate work? I would assume it's more corporate focused than the DC office but does anyone if the firm is still primarily a litigation shop in NY. I assume the corporate practice there is obviously not as strong as at the more corporate focused NY-based V10s but does the general prestige of the firm help strengthen the quality of the corporate work that they get at the NY office?

Would it be worth it for someone primarily interested in corporate work to look into Covington NY as opposed to perhaps to lower-ranked NY firms with a more corporate focus?

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:58 pm

bravos89 wrote:Does anyone how the NY office of Covington is in terms of corporate work? I would assume it's more corporate focused than the DC office but does anyone if the firm is still primarily a litigation shop in NY. I assume the corporate practice there is obviously not as strong as at the more corporate focused NY-based V10s but does the general prestige of the firm help strengthen the quality of the corporate work that they get at the NY office?

Would it be worth it for someone primarily interested in corporate work to look into Covington NY as opposed to perhaps to lower-ranked NY firms with a more corporate focus?

From NALP:
Litigation -- 13 partners, 33 associates/other lawyers
Corporate/Tax -- 27 partners, 37 associates/other lawyers

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:38 pm

Did a callback at Covington NY. I think it's about right that Stone will give you a shot. Their lawyers have very good credentials but I don't think they're as selective as the DC office, where it seems like you have to be COA clerk material to get in the door. Probably more comparable to a place like Cleary or something, though more idiosyncratic/unpredictable due to the small size and the fact that they supposedly put weight on your references and writing sample.

Corporate side seems strong, though I imagine the smaller size means you don't get the kind of mega deals you'd see at the NYC V10 firms. The NY office was formed via a merger with a small corporate boutique in the late '90s and I got the sense that its main purpose is to give the firm a NY corporate presence. To that end I think the vibe is corporate-leaning -- though they obviously litigate as well. As far as Covington versus "lower-ranked NY firms," you'd probably get a greater variety at another firm but my hunch is the quality of the work (and also the office culture) might be better at Covington. But like I said, the office still seems pretty selective so I don't know if this will be a problem you'd encounter; I'd guess you'd probably have other options like Kirkland, maybe DPW, etc. if you can get into Covington.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did a callback at Covington NY. I think it's about right that Stone will give you a shot. Their lawyers have very good credentials but I don't think they're as selective as the DC office, where it seems like you have to be COA clerk material to get in the door. Probably more comparable to a place like Cleary or something, though more idiosyncratic/unpredictable due to the small size and the fact that they supposedly put weight on your references and writing sample.

Corporate side seems strong, though I imagine the smaller size means you don't get the kind of mega deals you'd see at the NYC V10 firms. The NY office was formed via a merger with a small corporate boutique in the late '90s and I got the sense that its main purpose is to give the firm a NY corporate presence. To that end I think the vibe is corporate-leaning -- though they obviously litigate as well. As far as Covington versus "lower-ranked NY firms," you'd probably get a greater variety at another firm but my hunch is the quality of the work (and also the office culture) might be better at Covington. But like I said, the office still seems pretty selective so I don't know if this will be a problem you'd encounter; I'd guess you'd probably have other options like Kirkland, maybe DPW, etc. if you can get into Covington.

I agree with most of this, with a particular emphasis on office culture. I think they work hard at it, and it shows -- almost everyone is really, really nice.

Return to “Legal Employment”