176 @ UChicago

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

176 @ UChicago

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:05 am

I'm totally at a loss for the firms I should be bidding at OCI. I'm entirely committed to NYC, have weak W/E, and went to a strong undergrad.

Any advice or should I just killself?

Haymarket

Re: 176 @ UChicago

Postby Haymarket » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:29 am

Obviously you'll have a better idea when the list of firms participating in OCI comes out, but it might be time to also think about a mail campaign.

Is your undergrad strong like Ivy strong? Or was it in New York? And I'm guessing your WE wasn't in NY. But it's a big legal market, so I think you have a decent chance. You just might not be able to be as choosy as you like.

StrictlyBusiness

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:48 am

Noted.
Last edited by StrictlyBusiness on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:56 am

StrictlyBusiness wrote:Out of curiosity, does anyone know where a 176 would be % wise? I know median is roughly 177, but I'm just wondering how tightly the 176.5-177.5 range is packed, and if those numbers are what you would need to say "I'm right around median."

That is a question better suited for the UChi Taking Questions thread rather than one in Legal Employment.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:00 am

OP: I'm not saying this to bring you down, I definitely wish you every success, but a flat 176 is probably very close to, if not in, the bottom 1/3. If you are committed to NYC I'd both shoot for the least selective and largest class size NYC firms, and also start mass mailing pronto. If you are an URM then this advice still stands, but I'd also blow some bids on higher vault ranked firms.

Return to “Legal Employment”