When to apply for D.Ct. Clerkship? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Shaggier1

Silver

When to apply for D.Ct. Clerkship?

Post by Shaggier1 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:35 pm

I will be graduating in 2013 and want to clerk at Dist. Ct. level after two years of practice. Any thoughts on when I should be submitting applications for clerkships? It seems that many Dist. Ct. judges are hiring 2-3 years out nowadays... can I just submit apps. in 2013 and say that I am applying for 2015-16?

JusticeJackson

Silver

Re: When to apply for D.Ct. Clerkship?

Post by JusticeJackson » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:44 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:55 pm

Yeah, Alsup is the one that spooked me and had me thinking "wow, I have to apply earlier than I thought." If he represents the exception, rather than the rule, however, I have less to worry about.

Thanks for the tips!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:52 pm

JusticeJackson wrote:Applying this far out seems ridiculous unless you know the specific judge is hiring. I’d monitor Oscar, ask professors you’re close to, and perhaps ask your career services people (if they’re competent). The only district court judge that I’ve heard of that hires this far out is Judge Alsup. Judge Rakoff might as well.
There are other district court judges who hire extraordinarily far out - Judge Ellis in EDVA finished hiring in early April this year for 2013 and Judge Thapar in EDKY was hiring in March-May this year for 2013. Many of the SDNY judges were hiring last Fall for 2013 and I have heard of some hires already for 2014.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”