Too late to apply to D. Ct. clerkships?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Too late to apply to D. Ct. clerkships?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:33 pm

I missed my school's first mailing deadline and I've done zero research into district court judges but I'm thinking about applying anyways. I've got two rec letters in hand and an agreement from a professor to write a third. Is it too late to begin applying? Can I just start sending in apps with only two letters of rec?

Also, how are the rest of you doing research on judges (if at all)? I work during the week so I won't be able to use the career services resources until my SA ends, and by then it may be too late.

JollyGreenGiant

Re: Too late to apply to D. Ct. clerkships?

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:24 pm

Too late? Aren't most district court judges "on plan" which means they won't even look at an application until September?

JusticeJackson

Postby JusticeJackson » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:33 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:03 am

JusticeJackson wrote:You're not too late for a lot of judges. Sign up for Oscar now, and spend the rest of the night making a list of all of the judges you'd like to clerk for. If you don’t have stellar stats, focus on judges in your hometown and in the state your law school is in. I once heard of a guy getting a clerkship because he did good work while he was an SA, and an associate at the firm (who was a former clerk) called the judge he formerly clerked for on the SA’s behalf. If that applies to you, do it. I didn’t use anything from my school’s career services office, and presumed the people working there were worthless, so I don’t think you need their resources. You can finalize your applications now, and send them out on Oscar after the third recommender cranks out his recommendation. Good luck.

Edit: The above poster is correct. Any judge that uses Oscar doesn't even get your materials until early September, if I recall correctly. Perhaps you could email the person in charge of the mailing from your school and see if they would send your application out early, though.

Is the OSCAR system only for 3L's?

Tyrion Lannister

Postby Tyrion Lannister » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is the OSCAR system only for 3L's?

No, it's for alums as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:50 am

Tyrion Lannister wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is the OSCAR system only for 3L's?

No, it's for alums as well.

Good to know. 2L here, so I have a year to wait.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:02 pm

If I'm a 3L can I apply to judges after the fall?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If I'm a 3L can I apply to judges after the fall?

Interested about this as well.

Return to “Legal Employment”