CLS 3L EIP 2012

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

CLS 3L EIP 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:27 pm

Who's with me? I figured we can use this thread to keep each other updated.

I have a 2L SA from which I will probably get an offer but I am doing 3L EIP to expand my options. I am planning on doing corporate....median first year, high stone second year, e-board of journal and note is getting published. Barely any firms are coming for 3L EIP. we get 30 bids and there are only 34 firms coming, many of which are Latham offices in cities where I don't want to live. W&C and Susman (NY) are coming and I am not sure whether to use my low bids on them since there isn't anything else to bid on. I am not sure whether I will embarrass myself going into a screener with those firms with my mediocre stats. I am not applying to clerkships so I doubt Susman would consider me. Where are you guys bidding?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS 3L EIP 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:53 pm

I'm in on this thread as well.

Anonymous User wrote:Who's with me? I figured we can use this thread to keep each other updated.

I have a 2L SA from which I will probably get an offer but I am doing 3L EIP to expand my options. I am planning on doing corporate....median first year, high stone second year, e-board of journal and note is getting published. Barely any firms are coming for 3L EIP. we get 30 bids and there are only 34 firms coming, many of which are Latham offices in cities where I don't want to live. W&C and Susman (NY) are coming and I am not sure whether to use my low bids on them since there isn't anything else to bid on. I am not sure whether I will embarrass myself going into a screener with those firms with my mediocre stats. I am not applying to clerkships so I doubt Susman would consider me. Where are you guys bidding?
Not sure W&C or Susman are worth it for you anyway since you want corporate. That said, I'm as clueless as you are on the bidding process. Maybe just bid the ones you really want higher and throw those guys in at the end?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS 3L EIP 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:09 pm

As a rising 3L, when should we mass mail firms? Early August, Late July?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS 3L EIP 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:17 pm

As median 1L year and top 15-20 percent 2L year and doing corporate work for a V30 this summer, do I have a shot at Paul Weiss corporate?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS 3L EIP 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:09 pm

Almost exact same situation as op. Anyone around with firsthand experience from last year?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS 3L EIP 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:55 am

BUMP

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS 3L EIP 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Who's with me? I figured we can use this thread to keep each other updated.

I have a 2L SA from which I will probably get an offer but I am doing 3L EIP to expand my options. I am planning on doing corporate....median first year, high stone second year, e-board of journal and note is getting published. Barely any firms are coming for 3L EIP. we get 30 bids and there are only 34 firms coming, many of which are Latham offices in cities where I don't want to live. W&C and Susman (NY) are coming and I am not sure whether to use my low bids on them since there isn't anything else to bid on. I am not sure whether I will embarrass myself going into a screener with those firms with my mediocre stats. I am not applying to clerkships so I doubt Susman would consider me. Where are you guys bidding?

I did 3L EIP last year - there weren't many firms interviewing 3Ls at EIP, but I know some people did ok by talking to people at hospitality suites. Also, check out symplicity, some firms last year posted openings there without showing up to EIP, I think those posts started around now, but there were new posts as late as mid to late August.

And I don't think there's a point in worrying about embarrassing yourself. If you think you would actually accept an offer, go to the interview without worrying about that - either they'll call you back or they won't.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS 3L EIP 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:51 pm

Can you talk more about how they did "ok" at hospitality suites? Did they get screeners? callbacks? Which firms?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS 3L EIP 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can you talk more about how they did "ok" at hospitality suites? Did they get screeners? callbacks? Which firms?

To be honest, I don't remember which firms, but I think I knew about a couple people getting 1-2 callbacks (that's all I know of - I don't know how many 3Ls even tried), by really hustling - going to pretty much every single hospitality suite, and I think one got an offer that way. Most firms are going to tell you they're not looking but will just take your resume, but if they are interested, you'll usually just get a direct callback without a screener beforehand.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS 3L EIP 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:05 pm

Have people figured out how to handle their offer from their summer firm and how long it stays open for?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS 3L EIP 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:39 am

Firms are dropping like flies. STB and Paul Weiss (corporate) dropped out of 3L EIP in the last week!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS 3L EIP 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:22 pm

Its worse than 'nam out here.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS 3L EIP 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:21 pm

OP here. I did get an offer from my summer firm and am trying to figure out if I should even bother with 3L EIP. I wanted to interview with Simpson and PW but obviously they are both out. As of now, all I have is an interview with Cravath. I am very tempted to just cancel and take my offer. I also feel like the longer I wait, the more my summer firm will suspect that I am interviewing with other firms, which could hurt me if I end up going back there.

So what are other people with offers from summer firms doing? Are you still planning to do 3L EIP and mass mailing?

Also, can I cancel my interview with Cravath closer to the date of EIP or do I have to cancel by five today? I thought if I cancelled all my interviews it would be okay to cancel after the official cancellation date. Since Cravath is all I have, that would be me cancelling all my interviews.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS 3L EIP 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:33 pm

wondering if maybe its worth it just for the hospitality suites.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS 3L EIP 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I did get an offer from my summer firm and am trying to figure out if I should even bother with 3L EIP. I wanted to interview with Simpson and PW but obviously they are both out. As of now, all I have is an interview with Cravath. I am very tempted to just cancel and take my offer. I also feel like the longer I wait, the more my summer firm will suspect that I am interviewing with other firms, which could hurt me if I end up going back there.

So what are other people with offers from summer firms doing? Are you still planning to do 3L EIP and mass mailing?

Also, can I cancel my interview with Cravath closer to the date of EIP or do I have to cancel by five today? I thought if I cancelled all my interviews it would be okay to cancel after the official cancellation date. Since Cravath is all I have, that would be me cancelling all my interviews.


Bump...anyone? I am not sure if I even have a shot at cravath given that I was median after first year although top 20 percent after second year...very good undergrad transcript

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS 3L EIP 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I did get an offer from my summer firm and am trying to figure out if I should even bother with 3L EIP. I wanted to interview with Simpson and PW but obviously they are both out. As of now, all I have is an interview with Cravath. I am very tempted to just cancel and take my offer. I also feel like the longer I wait, the more my summer firm will suspect that I am interviewing with other firms, which could hurt me if I end up going back there.

So what are other people with offers from summer firms doing? Are you still planning to do 3L EIP and mass mailing?

Also, can I cancel my interview with Cravath closer to the date of EIP or do I have to cancel by five today? I thought if I cancelled all my interviews it would be okay to cancel after the official cancellation date. Since Cravath is all I have, that would be me cancelling all my interviews.


Bump...anyone? I am not sure if I even have a shot at cravath given that I was median after first year although top 20 percent after second year...very good undergrad transcript


I got my offer the last day at my firm and then canceled all my interviews for EIP. Doesn't seem worth it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS 3L EIP 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:29 pm

ugh time is running out and I can't decide whether to cancel EIP and just take my offer

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS 3L EIP 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:58 pm

well I cancelled Cravath...just don't think I have much of a shot but now I am sort of regretting it....maybe I will try to add it back tomorrow

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS 3L EIP 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:35 am

so who's in?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS 3L EIP 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:58 pm

median 1L, high kent 2L, current SA at V50. The only interviews I got were Cravath and Latham.....any one know how many entry-levels Cravath is considering?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS 3L EIP 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:median 1L, high kent 2L, current SA at V50. The only interviews I got were Cravath and Latham.....any one know how many entry-levels Cravath is considering?


I'm in a similar position except that I was high stone, not high kent 2L year, and I am only interviewing with Cravath. I am not interested in Latham (had a CB there last year that I didn't even take and don't regret it). Unfortunately Cravath only took two 3Ls last year from all the school it interviewed at, and it is interviewing at a whole bunch of schools again this year, so I don't think there is much of a chance.

Are you nervous about leaving your V50 offer open?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS 3L EIP 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
median 1L, high kent 2L, current SA at V50. The only interviews I got were Cravath and Latham.....any one know how many entry-levels Cravath is considering?


I'm in a similar position except that I was high stone, not high kent 2L year, and I am only interviewing with Cravath. I am not interested in Latham (had a CB there last year that I didn't even take and don't regret it). Unfortunately Cravath only took two 3Ls last year from all the school it interviewed at, and it is interviewing at a whole bunch of schools again this year, so I don't think there is much of a chance.

Are you nervous about leaving your V50 offer open?


Aren't offers open until Nov. 1 (assuming you "reaffirm" within 30 days)? When do SAs normally accept offers?

huckabees
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:38 pm

Re: CLS 3L EIP 2012

Postby huckabees » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:45 pm

This thread is great!

Thanks to the post on Cravath taking hardly any 3Ls... I guess I won't really prep for that one.

Are we supposed to be wary of not accepting our offers right away? What are people's general understandings of how much of a negative impact it makes if we do return? Is there a customary "cut off" at which I should accept (i.e., I bet no one actually waits until November).

Thanks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS 3L EIP 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:30 pm

I don't want to give out too much information since I don't want to out myself. However, after striking out at EIP as a 2L, I was able to pull off a V100 offer as a 3L (I just graduated in the Class of 2012). Even if a firm doesn't show up as interviewing 3Ls on Symplicity, send an e-mail (with a copy of your resume and transcript) to the recruiting coordinator and ask if they have time to squeeze you in for a screening interview. You'll be surprised by how often this approach works. I recall only getting 2 screening interviews through the Symplicity lottery, but by the time EIP came around, I had 12 screeners lined up, resulting in 4 callbacks (and 1 offer). Also, my stats were decent but not spectacular (was Stone as a 2L; on a journal; did moot court; Ivy undergrad; 2 years WE prior to law school, etc...).

It looks like the people in this thread are mainly looking to switch from one firm to another. However, if you didn't get a firm job as a 2L and you still want to do that, all is not lost. Be happy that you go to one of maybe 5 or 6 law schools in the country where legitimate 3L hiring actually occurs (as in, I knew other people in my class with stories similar to mine).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CLS 3L EIP 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:median 1L, high kent 2L, current SA at V50. The only interviews I got were Cravath and Latham.....any one know how many entry-levels Cravath is considering?

What is "high kent"? A 4.0? Kent starts at 3.8. I doubt the modifier is needed.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.